Mondial Catalyltic Converters | FerrariChat

Mondial Catalyltic Converters

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ceb39, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    This is for California cars.

Has anyone replaced or had a catalytic converter on a Mondial. The unit on my 87 might need to be replaced, and I would like to if anyone has bought on, if so which one, or had on repaired.

Thanks

ceb39

2. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I replaced the catalytic converter on my 88 3.2 with a Hyperflow unit four years ago. At the time I was living in one of two counties in Indiana that required emissions testing and my OEM cat failed the test. Porter County, IN has similar emissions limitations to California, and my car was originally a California car. I bought the Hyperflow cat from Ricambi (I don't see it listed there anymore, however). It is on eBay:

Hyper Flow Catalytic Converter Ferrari 1984 85 308QV 328 Mondial 3 2 TR F12152X2 | eBay

It was a direct fit part with ports for the O2 sensor and thermocouple.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I have replaced the catalytic converter on my '87. The car still required emmission tests for another year, but the fumes from it were pretty bad so I went for a new cat.

I initially found a lightly used one from Italiancarparts, but is was stolen in shipping. The guy that runs the place then went about sending my original one out to be rebuilt. I'll look at home if I get a chance for the rebuilder, which I recall he said was the only good one. They took the one I had and swapped the inlet, outlet, and some other bits onto a generic unit. I won't be going to a concours I guess, but it fit well and has worked fine. I do have to say that Italian Car Parts really stepped up to the plate to help out, since it wasn't really his problem it disappeared. In hindsight shipping insurance would have been a good idea. The guy at Italian Car Part could probably take care of it for you, sending it out to the same place that did mine.

The replaceemnt is pretty simple. There are some compression ring sort of wedges that fit the converter into the pipes on either side, which I think must be replaced whenever the cat is changed. I also used new bolts, etc.

I don't think that the CA cars differ from the rest of the US, but I can't confirm that. There are also some odd regulations concerning catalytic converter replacement that you may want to review a bit. I'm not in Ca so I don't recall exactly, but there may be a Federal level of this as well. Aftermarket Catalytic Converters

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'd try ferrparts but I think it is illegal for a CA company to sell a used Cat. My 87 has a cat, I've simply ignored it. I did have a CA repair facility do a preliminary tail pipe test and it was just over threshold and they thought they could adjust it into line. Sorry I don't have any suggestions but I do have an original CA car with the original cat in place at 72K miles.

Ferrparts does buy out old stock so they might have something new?

Is your cat completely shot? Did you get that word from a reputable shop?

5. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Guys:

Thanks for the input.

Jon, that one on eBay looks good, kind pricy. Will talk to the mechanic where the car is about it.

Ron, if my car was passing the smog test I would still look into a cat. The wife says the car stinks. Get it fixed or she will not ride i it. So either way it has to be fixed.

Dirk

Had a smog test done before it went into the shop, just so the mechanic knew what he was dealing with. He said the HC level was way too high. In addition to the cat, I have also provided all the air injection system valves. He is going to check the cat first then move on to other things, if necessary.

Thank you all for you input and help.

Chuck

Hey Dirk:

How are things going with you. From previous conversations with you, you were not in a good place. How are things now, hopefully better, how is the car?

6. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have the Hyper Flow, no complaints. And yes that eBay listing is pricey. I think it cost me $800 including shipping about 3 or 4 years ago (from Ricambi I think). Try Hyper Flow. It's listed for $769.

Hyper-Flow High-Performance Ferrari Replacement Parts

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, California is different. You need a CARB-certified replacement cat, not just any aftermarket.

8. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Well I am happy to say that all is well with my car.

had Dino Motors install a set of spark plug cables. During this process they found that a cable going from a coil to a distributor cap was bad (cables may have been in the car since new, no early records so do not know), so replacement of these cables fixed the problem. Will have to say the car is running fine now, best it has ever run since I bought it. Best thing it passed the California smog test.

Chuck

9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I purchased a Fabspeed cat for my Mondial 3.2, very well made with proper fabricated flanges, and the car passes without fuss the required emissions tests in toronto required every two years.

10. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
  11. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Burch1 - I'm interested to know how the replacement went and any performance / sound difference you've seen?

My car has aftermarket Cats that I suspect are worn out and the thermocouples and Cat modules in the trunk have already been disconnected. The car runs great, but since I don't need to pass emissions anymore I'm thinking of pulling the Cats and running the straight pipes as well. Any items to watch out for? Thanks.

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I do not require emission testing in N.Georgia. However, the car runs like a scalded dog and see no reason for straight pipes. [My fast GT Mark VII is being built with straight pipes. Not even sure an 1988 requires much inspection, even in Atlanta.}

Originally the Mondial had some sulphur smell. Did not run bad but did not run good. But I cleaned it out by just driving it right. Even enriched the k-Jet 1/8 just for hot run safety and still no smell. Its a bit of a mystery.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #13 Rapalyea, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Exhaust tuning is a black art. And these Ferraris are tuned like pianos. So I would not be entirely sure straight pipes would improve the matter. No harm in trying of course. One problem I have is a hard 1st gear full throttle run is so ferocious I dare not do it in mixed company. Not only THAT. But once I hit second its only good for about two seconds till 7,000 rpms.

I used to get my kicks from third gear. But after the traffic ticket have changed my thrill-o-meter. I get a rolling start in first, select second, apply full throttle till 60 mph and it really shows off the 7,000 rpm cam. And no jail time.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    My Eurospec (270hp) car didn't have a cat to begin although it was added (amongst other things) during the importation process (federalization) back in 1991. But I'm seriously considering going back to OEM completely.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    BTW, did I read correctly that one of the vendors here can "recore" the stock cat?

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    If you can get some before and after numbers it would help decide the matter. It seems reasonable a straight pipe would be faster. However, in detroit iron an entire exhaust system sometimes adds but negligible time reduction. People are all excitted by the sound. But that is different from the time.

CAMS sure as hell work. And headers help. After that there is some question. In a supercharged car [lets say 7.5 psi] you will be pumping out 50% more flow. So that should show up. But our cars have cams and have headers to beging with. My estimate is at best 2/10ths of a second. Which is significant on the track. Hardly noticeable on the road.

What is noticeably significant is simply adding nothing more then a 7.5 psi supercharger and lopping off 15/10ths. One and a half seconds. Insteat of 16.0 you get 14.5. But I would like to see some numbers on a straight flow pipe on a 3.2.

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    PPS: Ten added horse power on a 4400 lb car might get you 1/10th of a second in a 1/4 mile. About the same as 100 lb weight reduction. Or some such. There is no magic. Our cars already have cams and headers.

To move significantly more fuel/air you typically add cubic inches, rpms. or the equivalent with forced air induction. And sometimes some cars are just a bit hotter then others. I have been encouraging a rumor the Purple Ones Are Faster. But probably they are not. Eventually I will do a smokey burn-out at the Atlanta drag raceway and get some real numbers!

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #18 Wade, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Vehicle weight for an 1988 Mondial 3.2 Coupe is 3400lbs, as per the owner's manual. But I get what you're saying...

My car came from the factory rated at 270hp (US spec were 260hp), I'd like to restore it to that spec instead of being hampered by compliance-driven add-ons. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017