Mondial Service & Subsequent Problems VALEO | FerrariChat

Mondial Service & Subsequent Problems VALEO

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by alexion, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Gentleman,

I am here to gather some advice/opinions based on an experience I am dealing with. I am not going to name the shop, as the dispute is still ongoing.

In May, I requested an engine-out major on my 93 Mondial t. I asked for the major to be performed, tach rebuilt, fog light switch repaired, sticky steering cluster re-done, and clutch to be replaced (if needed). I was not having any issues with my transmission, but felt that it would be preventative/routine maintenance and a money savings if done with the engine out.

All work was done (with the exception of the clutch), the engine was put back in the car and test driven, and I was called saying, " it does need a clutch". I asked why this was not done with the engine out, and was told that, "they believed at the time I did not need it". "The additional labor is negligible."

I was called and told my car was ready, and went to get it after several weeks.

I go to get my car and was charged $11,187, $2158 of which was allocated to the clutch assembly, and 47 hours of labor, $5405, plus incidentals like a plastic guard, oil, a tensioner.

I was told that a "throw-out bearing" could not be sourced as I have the Valeo option, and that I shouldn't worry because the old one was re-used and in good condition.

As soon as I started the car, the check engine light 5-8 came on and the "manager" scratched his head. He said, "drive it home, it will probably go away". I complied, only to have the issue persist, in addition to a new issue that I had never experienced.

When I would drive, my car would neutralize in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear, sending the RPM's down or soaring under full acceleration, as if I had depressed the clutch pedal. ( There is no clutch pedal, as this is a VALEO, and the clutch is controlled electronically)

I brought the car back, the technicians spent a week with it and replaced a "TDC Sensor" and 3 hours of additional labor for $651.09. I was called and told the VALEO issue was fixed and that they could not figure out the CEL light, but take it anyway as it might resolve itself. The explanation for the VALEO/Clutch issue was a "dead-spot in the ECU" and subsequently the potentiometer was adjusted to compensate, so therefore the car was fixed.

I brought the car home, same problems occured with the transmission, and as well as the CEL 5-8. In frustration, I brought the car to a local mechanic who suggested checking the coil, and guess what, the 5-8 bank coil had a hairline crack, presumably causing an arc and bog down of the engine. Both coils were replaced and there was no more check engine light.

I called the mechanic, who congratulated me, and offered no concession, but rather a good will, " next brake service is on us". Drop the car off and we will look at the VALEO system again and check the shift lever sensors.

After this 1 hour trip, the same issues once again...I brought the car back one last time this past weekend, and was told, " it should be fine now, but if not, its the potentiometer". He handed me a Ricambi print-out of a $3126 part. Guess what happened as soon as I drove away yesterday afternoon? Yes, the car neutralized again, and I was almost t-boned making a left turn at a traffic light in 1st gear.

I have given this shop a total of 5 times to make this problem right. I forwarded them a VALEO manual I was able to source on F-Chat, I clarified that they have an SD-1 as to be able to properly diagnose any issues, I have advised of potential issues i've read about, such as relays, switches, etc, to no avail. The probelm persists and now I am being told to replace the potentiometer, which I feel is a total shot in the dark.

This blog serves two purposes for me. The first is to gain the recommendations of fellow F-chat memebers, and the second is for me to vent my frustrations before I drive myself mad. Any expert opinions of what could be wrong, how to fix it, how to deal with this shop are recommended.

The reason for my patience thus far is that my father has known the master mechanic for over 30 years, and assured me that the problems would be fixed and I shouldn't worry. The managing partner, who swipes the credit cards, and does most of the electrical diagnosis (from what I have seen) is who I have been dealing with primarily.

Thanks in advance.

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is a unique system and very few made as you know. I'd do a few calls and see who in the country feels good about diagnosing this problem. Sounds like the shop you have chosen is shooting in the dark. I saw a valeo a Ferrari of Houston several years back and they said they had worked on many of them, mostly just replacing the clutch and they had never had an issue with the mechanism. So they may or may not be good at diagnosis.

This is a reason I will only go to one of a few places in the country with my car. There are some that claim these are just cars and anyone can work on them. And I would say yes for a mechanic who is willing to take the time, very intelligent and inquisitive and careful.

Sorry about your troubles. Maybe one of the techs will chime in here. Sounds like based on your description that this could maybe be easy to diagnose. I wonder if the shift rod isn't lined up perfectly and with the slightest torque the rod is moved ever so slightly causing the sensors to trigger. That is a total shot in the dark by the way.

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Hank?………..

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I'd just like to say good luck. Sooner or later it will be fixed and you will be able to enjoy it again.
    I know Steve Magnussen (sp?) has been very helpful and generous with his time with issues that I have had. Maybe he could help you?

- Ron Frohock

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #5 hank sound, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Hi - you called ?? :) If it were me on the east coast, I would give Tim Stanford a call. He's in Fort Lauderdale. His reputation is sterling - and I believe he would guide Alex in a promising direction ........... whereas, Don Rickles would tell him to sell the Mondi, and buy a Honda !! "I kid, I kid". :):)

Tim Stanford Foreign Cars
    287 SW 33rd St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
    (954) 764-7824

Cheers Jay !!!!!

Hank

6. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Does it even need a clutch, doesn't sound like it as there was just a test drive between you dropping the car off and the clutch system no longer working correctly.

I would be careful letting other garages interfere as this clouds responsibility. If I were you, I would have dropped the car back off and left it there until they could prove it was corrected (hard I know when it is your pride and joy). As mentioned previously, it sounds like they are throwing parts at it in an effort to correct, no one can afford this!

Has the clutch been removed and inspected, if its good, it points towards the engine removal being the cause and you shouldn't be paying for that

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #7 jgoodman, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See Hank, this is why I reached out to you. Great great call. Tim is amazing, but he is way more of an oil and rubber guy. Valeo's are a little more tricky. But he would be the best resource.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    All help and responses are greatly appreciated.

9. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    ONLY the SD1 will set the Mondi Valeo clutch

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    The clutch control on the Valeo transmissions rely on a complex double, linear and axial potentiometer. My 2 cents: change it out and you will be good to go. They get electrically noisy over time and they physically wear out.
    Usually the mechanic (the same shop I use) resists spending the clients money unnecessarily. While I can't speak to the other problems you have encountered, Not purchasing a $3200 part if you can get away with "exercising" the Pot, you give it a try. You can always buy a new one later if necessary.
    Mondials (and other Ferraris of the same period) are famous for electrical problems. Search on Fchat are there must be thousands of threads on the subject.
    My car has had its share of connector issues. A through cleaning of the connectors with Deoxit-5 and a judicious use of long nose pliers to increase the clamping force of the female side of connectors seems to fix things up, at least for me, for now.
    Hair line fractures of components that are made of plastic and cast epoxy that live in a harsh environment such as the engine compartment of a mid-engine car definitely have a finite life span.
    I'm not defending the shop, I don't need to, their record will stand on its own. Declining the purchase of the pot for $3200 is understandable, but expecting a solution without its purchase is taking a chance.

I hope the pot replacement makes your Mondial T run as it should. I hope to see you at the next DARE event in Upper Saddle River.

My2 cents...
    DavidJ

11. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    David,

I appreciate the reply, and I can relate to your logic. When I dropped my car off for servicing, it did not have this issue.
    My problem is that I have been told several different stories, each time I brought the car back to rectify the problem. I have been told there is a "Dead-spot" in the Valeo ECU, the linkage needing adjusting, the shift lever sensors are bad, and lastly, ( I need a new potentiometer).

Each time I brought the car back, I was assured it was fixed. Each time I picked the car up, it had the same problem, less than 5 minutes after driving it home.

When I picked up the car Monday, and it was backed out of the shop, and attempted to be pulled forward, after reversing, the transmission grinded twice. I was told, " the transmission now does something funny too". When I got in to drive the car home, the feel of the tough-to-engage, and precise gated shifter felt loose and tame like an Acura Integra.

At what point do I get a second opinion and do I question credibility?

P.S. I would love to see you in USR in September, provided my vehicle is repaired and running properly.

12. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    A dead spot in the ECU. That makes no sense to me. I think they were referring to a dead spot in the pot. That is what happens to pots. They actually wear away a section of the material on the pot that determines the circuit resistance. There is a wiper arm that presses on a pathway that physically wears out. When this happens the tranny computer "sees" a different pulse or voltage (digital or analog), thinks you have grabbed the stick to shift and opens the clutch.
    That being said, all of the other suggested problems may also have been issues that needed to be addressed. I know when you move around parts and wires that have been in the same position for years and have also been subjected to thermal cycles, s*it happens.
    I have an issue with CEL light that has bugged me since I own the car. I ignore it and I have had no issues other than the light going on and off. I probably need to find the one connector I missed and clean it up. Maybe it's a ground I missed too. 25 year old cars from that era are like that.
    If you go somewhere else to solve this you likely will spend even more $$, as the shop will need to start from scratch with the trouble shooting. I empathize with your predicament. These cars can be frustrating, infuriating, and expensive.
    I wish you good luck with the repair.

DavidJ

13. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    David,

Everything you're saying seems logical and makes perfect sense. How are you so familiar with the inner workings of the potentiometer? I have asked several people, including those who have been working on the car, and I have not gotten anywhere close to this description.

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    But it all makes sense to me. I have been involved with electronics since I was a kid and I have a generally good understanding mechanics as well.

Disclaimer:
    **However...I am no expert on this or any other things Ferrari. It is just my somewhat strange ability to extrapolate things from certain information.**
    Usually I am correct, but not always. So, as my grandmother used to say: Take my info/suggestions with a grain of salt.

That pot has got to be a sealed unit because it is exposed to the outside environment. I would bet it is an ultrasonically sealed unit. I don't think it can be opened up to see what is going on inside and you probably couldn't fix it if it was opened up anyway.
    But, if you spring for a new one, keep the old one as part of the original history of the car. Collectors love that stuff.
    Feel free to pick my brain via PM, there must be something in there that works (unlike the Ferraris).

DavidJ

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Check your mail box.
    DavidJ

16. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dumb question from a Valeo admirer. When the engine was taken out to do the initial major were connections at the potentiometer disturbed or removed in the course of the major?
    David's suggestion that: "A through cleaning of the connectors with Deoxit-5 and a judicious use of long nose pliers to increase the clamping force of the female side of connectors seems to fix things up, at least for me, for now." kind of resonates.

Your story is gripping for me and I hope you have a full resolution soon.

17. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I am not sure. I was under the impression that those particular connections should not have needed to be touched. I was also told that whatever connections that could be cleaned, were. I was told that the potentiometer was not opened, in fears of damaging it.

I have a feeling that this is an easy fix, and I am the subject of "lack of experience". I will investigate further, and I will be sure to update all on the outcome.

Short of this, the VALEO system is marvelous, easy to drive, and unlike anything I have ever seen or driven.

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #18 hank sound, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Hey Alex,

Let's say, you are the manager of a baseball team. The pitcher (service facility) that you've recruited, put your money on and have designated as the starter for this game, is making you want to vomit !!!! He's throwing all kinds of bad stuff - - mostly s--t balls, and he's walked enough batters to make the local police think that a civil demonstration is about to take place !!!

That pitcher may be effective against some common opponents, but thrown against the Valeo (mostly electronics - since hardware components just don't "break") - - Oh Boy !!! Therefore, I respectfully advise you to yank him, and bring in another pitcher that may be better able to address the challenges.

I feel that a more focused vetting and scouting effort on your part, is in order. You've recently been introduced to "owning one of these crazy cars - #101" !!! An "F" means you will continue to make questionable "management" decisions that won't bring you any satisfaction. An "A" - see, means you get it, right :):)

Good luck,

Hank

19. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    oftentimes with the engine R/R you get the clutch light and erratic shifting..again the SD1 handles getting it back in parameters and you are good to go..not the space shuttle here

20. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Alex
    Have you had any luck with the Valeo is it fix, as I'm having same problem as your Mondial T , I had a F / mechanic to have a look at Valeo he sold his workshop and the new owner not enough experience to work on Ferrari , so back to square 1, well I'll have to find another wshop.
    Good luck with yours
    Cheers
    Michael

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This could not be related to an improperly adjusted shift mechanism could it?

22. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    At the moment, the theory is a faulty through-out bearing. I am awaiting word from FNA for availability of parts.

23. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    again,is car with someone that has SD1,not SD2 or 3?..

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the only tool that can talk to it is the sd1.

It's such and odd ball car I doubt Ferrari would carry over diagnostics to the newer tools.

I still think it's a shift adjustment issue but I could be way out to lunch on that. I have only ever worked on one of these things, and it was just brakes and oil.

25. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Both the original mechanic, as well as the shop who has the car currently, both have the SD1. The former shop did not replace the through out bearing when they replaced the clutch, abd simply re-used the old one. Upon brining my car to the new shop, and simply describing the symptoms, and them checking the parameters on the SD1, their theory is a faulty through-out bearing. I did not mention the former shop not replacing the through out bearing when replacing the clutch. Does anyone agree that a faulty through out bearing could be causing intermittent slipping in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears?