Speed bumps | FerrariChat

Speed bumps

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ScottS, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Friends
    I am losing my head over the constant danger of speed bumps. Someone help. The car is so low it nearly scraps on all bumps even with crawling over at an acute angle of attack.

Any advice?

Also what pieces are vulnerable?

Lastly anyone have a source for the belly pan- non OEM is fine......

Scott

2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    No one else hits speed bumps?

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    "Your acute angle of attack" is all you have at your disposal. If I pay attention to what's up ahead, I find that I'm OK. Maybe - - slow down ???

Best of luck,

Hanl

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1...you must simply remain aware of any changes in the road conditions.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I have a 3.2 and I actually do not have any problems with speed ramps (ok some..), but I am thinking of lowering it, however I know then that I need to pay attention on my speed. Perhaps even drive with one fronthwheel first onto the ramp in 1 or perhaps second gear. I actually do no mind the people behind me in such case. They simply would need to wait and compensation they could look at my Mondials swinging bottom :)

The T has a 3-position electronically controlled suspension. You also have this in the highest level in an urban/center area?

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Nope .......... the suspension control in the T has nothing to do with height. It's all about dampening, or changing of shock rate. My Audi Allroad can be controlled to change height but not shock rate - - quite different.

Mondials and speed bumps are akin to swimmers and hungry Whites !! Go slow, and they won't smell you. Go low, and you're like blood in the water.

Cheers,

Hank

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    cool, just learned something again :) So the level stays the same, but the hardness changes. Something to indeed to keep in mind then.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Different springs between Coupes and Cabs, and again between the 3.2 and the t (as per the part numbers).

I have a 3.2 Coupe and never have a problem with speed bumps. But, as an example, my friend's 3.2 Cab sits lower, which is a cause for concern.

So, different spring heights and rates?

Of course, Scott has a t so that changes everything (from previous Mondials).

9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I go slow and one wheel at a time. Perhaps I've been lowered.

Any one source a belly pan ?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    The parts that are very vulnerable are the aluminum rails that run the length of the sides of the car. They are attached by rivets & sit a tad bit lower than anything else on the car.
    About five years ago I scrapped bottom & they got dented. Had to drill out the rivets & have them reworked & put back. When searching for a Mondial to buy I think I didn't find many that did not have dented rails.

I learned my lesson & am now extremely careful not to dent them again.

Cheers

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Never really had any issues with my 3.2 cab. In fact when driving with a Testarossa and a 348 I would take driveways they couldn't just to taunt them. When pulling into parking lots, especially the Testarossa didn't like quick elevation changes. Long nose on that one. I find the Mondial to be very drivable in most conditions. I just had a rental mustang and it was more trouble than the Mondial.

12. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Never had an real issues with my t coupe.

In theory, wouldn't taller diameter (non stock size) tires help a bit? A 1 inch taller tire would raise the car 1/2 inch.......Enough to make a difference?

Regards,
    Jerry

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    ajks... you shouldn't do that too often! I would put plastic skids on it for protection I think.

Looking at the shock of a T, I even think you can adjust it manually by hand from the looks of it. Look in this pot at the pic. The lower part can be mostlikely screw up and down..

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/447726-height-adjustment.html

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #14 MvT, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. ChicagoFerrari

ChicagoFerrari Karting

Dec 19, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a T and although the adjustable suspension may not lower or raise the car I do notice that when I have the suspension on hard it will scrape speed bumps but not on soft.