The time had not come. | FerrariChat

The time had not come.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The time had not quite come to do my 30K service. But with everything going on in my life I didn't know when I would get to the car so I decided to change coolant and oil which were both due, maybe overdue on time.

I dropped the bleed screw that goes in the top of the thermostat housing, tink donk. So I start searching. Off comes the wheel well cover, then dust cover over side of engine. Hmmmm, unable to see anything. I enlist my brothers son with the smallest hands of us all and no luck. Car is on a lift so looking at it from every angle. Of course I think there is a chance the screw fell into the timing mechanism. So out comes the inop A/C compressor. Detach and shake the alternator in case it entered through the vents. Nothing. Pull the waterpump with it's housing. Pull the timing covers, nothing.

What to do now? Well, the screw isn't in the timing system so I called Daniel at Ricambi and ordered a 30K kit, new water pump gasket and O ring and a new bleed screw.

My car has been leaking oil badly for a while and it has been sidelined as many of you know. I drive it every month or two just to keep the battery up. My Dads shop, where I was doing this minor service, is tied up now and he moved all his cars around and put one into storage due to this. :(

I still travel for work and have a lot of other projects on my plate so I expect this will be at least a month before the car reemerges.

I had really wanted to do an engine out for this service and I'd even spoken to a tech about having it done due to how busy I am. Oh well, lifes twists and turns :)

Have a great day all.

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Well PV that is kind of a good news, at least you're at it. Let us know if you find your bleeder ;-)

3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    He will find it 5 minutes after finishing installing all the new parts.......................

Regards,
    Jerry

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    This bleeder can skid into every direction. it might be under the airhousing, between your intake manifolds. All kind of hiding place under there. As long as it hasn't go into the cooling hole you should be fine. I have found all kind of rings, nuts and even an Italian daim when I was replacing hoses. Still finding things btw :)

Antoher good hiding place is under the heatshield where the alternator is located on the engine mount. Mostlikely you find more things ;)

One favour if I may ask. What type on the label does your A/C compressor carry? Mine is totally rubbed off and needs to be revised as you have heard I guess. It's hard to find parts without the exact type.

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Lets hope OSHA does not see the young boy with no shoes.

6. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi PV join the club. Like everybody, also I managed to drop a nut into the distribution area. Good thing was I opted for a metal nut in stead of a copper bolt you did. I could swing around with a magnet. But I see you've got a little helper!
    I glad you took the hard way (belts) - you'll see, when you remove the belts, the little bugger will show up!!!

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And then you find it on the ground 10 feet from the car.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    PV, you are due for some good CARma w/ your Mondial. Come to think of it, so am I!

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The kid will be a Young experienced Ferrari mechanic.

10. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #11 YELO T, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Is that part of the new home colonoscopy kit?

12. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Might be, but I think the part not shown is the nine foot extension.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I spoke to someone that I respect very much about the situation. They said to hose down that side of the engine and it will likely flush out. They said it is likely just behind the crank pulley as that is a common spot for items to get lost. I was told to get ready to retrieve a few lost bits :D

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I hope you're joking

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #16 PV Dirk, Sep 10, 2014
    I found the bolt! It was resting in the ground (earth) strap between the engine and the frame by the passenger rear engine mount. I was running my hand through there, trying to trace a bundle of wires I could not figure out, and it dropped out. Gave me a little smile in a busy day but wasn't at the top of my agenda at the moment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    PV, that doesn't look like the residence/garage-majhal (sp?) that you recently showed us. Are you doing this project somewhere else?
    BTW: at the risk of a small hijack, didn't you change all your suspension bushings a few years back? If so, could you please PM me with your recommendation(s) on what company's parts I should use to refresh my Mondial's suspension? Thanks!

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #18 PV Dirk, Sep 11, 2014
    Yes, this is not my place. My place is getting a new roof right now and floor upgrades are in the works. I went to my Dads house to change the coolant and here we are :D

I have not done any suspension work to my car, still all original.

Here is a pic of the roof in process, still getting stripped off. I'm having 4 inches of foam applied to decking with a sheet product applied to that. The shop area by default will have some insulation factor. They recommended I remove all vehicles from shop area due to debris coming through. I'm glad they did. It's been a mess of gravel and tar in there. Don't need gravel pouring down on my cars.

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    PV, this is so cool you finally dropped the engine! Can't wait to see the posts of what you plan to do. Much easier to do maintenance and spit shine the engine while out ;)

Cheers

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #20 MvT, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Sweet! Nice to see you dropped the engine. Didn't expect you to be so fast to be honest. What will you be all doing on the beating heart other then the oil leak(s). I see the engine rack is a perfect fit :D

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I really don't know how far I'm going to take it. I'll do the 30K with valve adjustment as needed. New cam seals and belts of course. One of the distributor caps had the center contact collapse and it caused arcing in the cap to the rotor, they are both a bit crusty, hopefully I won't need a new cap, but in reality it may be due for two new caps. I'll have a seasoned tech make that call. New plug wires. I still have the evap lines and a few fuel lines from my SRI kits I purchased 4 years ago. I didn't have access to some of the lines and just put it off, now I can install them. I'm toying with removing the plenum to clean it up and of course replace those little vaccuum lines under there. The clutch has 72,000 miles on it but I have no intention of replacing that, I want 100K out of it :)

I'm also not going to do any suspension work as a rule to keep the scope from getting too crazy. A/C, I'm undecided, but this would be a good time. I'm going to look a bit further but it might be due for a shift shaft seal. That area is wet but don't know if it is the culprit. It was reportedly done before my ownership, but I've found all the work done by that shop to be suspect. Also on the work done by this shop was new spark plug wires. When I got in there, they were mis matched. Not a good sign. Also had cracked spark plug extenders when i got in there. When I pulled the extenders the other day they looked brand new after approx 20K miles. I'm sure I'm missing a half dozen items, and I have someone whispering in my ear about a few upgrades. Now seems like the time.

Oh, and I forgot, one of the side brackets of the radiator has come loose and the foam is missing in a few areas, I should remember to pull that and get it fixed.

All I have done so far is pull the muffler and cat to make the lump smaller and I pulled the spark leads and caps. I was going to remove the oil cooler today but I am working today and wasn't feeling it. I have to be in tip top mental shape to work on it. Tomorrow I travel for work and I'll be gone over a week. Hopefully when I get back I can make some solid headway. I'd like to get the injection removed and then pull the cam covers and cams. That may be out of order, I'll figure it out as I go.

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I actually found it quite humerous that once the engine was out it didn't appear that much easier to work on :D However removing the distributor caps was much easier. :)

Oh yeah, new throttle cable as the current one has had stiffness issues and I was told it was time. I really need to make a list for myself.

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #23 PV Dirk, Sep 24, 2014
  23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Cool project! Ambitious, too.