New to the forum... | FerrariChat

New to the forum...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by alfadad, Aug 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alfadad

alfadad Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    Looking at a mondial t cabriolet (1990). What are the pitfalls I should be looking for when considering such a vehicle ? I know that the purchase price can be unreliable if "hidden" repairs crop up. So,is there a checklist to consider ? I've heard , for example, the malfunctioning rear window can be a very expensive surprise. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. Ken

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Hi Ken, and welcome here. You say rear window? do you mean in the manual top? or the two rear electric side windows?

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Spend time looking at previous threads here for more information plus a little time in the section above at 348 engine threads due to commonality and don't ask about belt change intervals

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Just kidding.....

Welcome!
    - Ron Frohock

5. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi Alfadad

We welcome you in the quest to your dream car.

Get your reading glasses and dig in the library named: Fchat Mondial. Use the search engine on this forum, it is fantastic (enhanced search). If you have questions, don't be shy to dig up the old thread you've read. The connaisseurs will chime in promptly.
    On tires/tyres, belts there will be a lot to find, but don't panic, the threads with heroic stories, adventures and trips the lads out here made with their cars are also to be found in great number.

It's a funky bunch of petrolheads you ran into!

:D

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Personally I like to see regular use over the last 5 to 10 years. Even 3 years of use showing a few thousand miles, or 1000 miles each year says the car has been reliable to some degree for the prior owner. To me that is the proof.

Also it is nice to see maintenance records. Even someone who did their own maintenance should have receipts for the parts purchased.

Finally it is just a car. I printed out a used car checklist on the internet and went through that list. Everything from door fit to interior condition to testing all windows and tire wear.

I have enjoyed mine immensely. I do have a 3.2.

Many of the cabs will require a new top if it hasn't been replaced already. Mine didn't leak but I could see daylight where it was thin at the wear points.

There are many many more specifics but this is my list.

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    And I get the feeling we need to ask for a picture of your Alfa :D

I have a lot of respect for Alfa owners.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, Alfas are always welcome... and their owners too. ;)

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #9 MvT, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mondials carry actually Alfa parts ;)

Warm welcome Ken! Last person who looked at a Mondial T, booked a flight to Germany and bought it on the spot and drove home with it. :) so be careful doing a test drive as you probably will buy it when you do.

Nice read for Mondial T issues
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/451039-mondial-t-issues.html

and Ferrari Mondial t | World's only 4 seat, mid engined, convertible. of Paul if I may say so.

Now.. something looks familiar, and it ain't the sound of the horn :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for the plug MvT! :)

Just use common sense. This is an almost 3 decade old Italian Exotic. You have to go into this with the assumption that lots of things are probably wrong. That's not a reason to despair however, it just gives you more bargaining room.

A pre-purchase inspection is a MUST! Make sure you go to a reputable mechanic - they'll give you an estimate to fix X issues - subtract that from the asking price.

That's pretty much all there is too it.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Things that comes fast to my mind:

Yes for the rear window: ask Mike(soucorp)
    shocks actuator= warning light in dash
    Mouse seat belts operation
    Make sure when you turn ignition on the CEL comes on then shuts off when engine runs
    If the belt haven't been replaced in the last 5 years engine needs to come out to replace them.
    Broken top latches are very expensive.

Good luck in your hunting and I hope you find the one you need. The're fun cars. But mine was a 3.2!

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Looks like the op is a hit and run. He hasn't logged on since his original post. :( I was looking forward to some Alfa pictures.

14. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    The last thing on a checklist should be a pocket full of money. This is to pay for the things you did not discover during the PPI, and that the previous owner did not tell you about, and are now your problem(s).

15. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Welcome to FerrariChat.

I have learned more than I can understand from these forum threads.

Just keep reading and you will find some great information.

I don't think there are many Ferrari or Mondial issues that have not been discussed somewhere on here.

Hope you enjoy F-Chat and buy the Mondial.

My QV is very dependable, easy to maintain, and not expensive to service.

Jerry
    DRG