New member intro | FerrariChat

New member intro

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 2cam, Sep 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Greetings Team Mondial,

I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Austin, Texas and am interested in Mondials. Coming of car age in the mid/late 80s I always admired the styling of the Monidal. I've decided that now might be a good time to look for one of these classics. I currently have an '86 3.2 Carrera but have owned more than 50 cars over the years with a majority of those falling into the classic Alfa, BMW, and Volvo camps. I scaled back on the car hobby about 9 years ago when our 1st child was born but have begun to get an itch for another classic (classic is all relative of course...) Italian steed. The Mondial seems to make the most sense at this point with it's rear seats and serviceability.

I'm reading like crazy and soaking in as much info as possible about the cars. So far, my focus has narrowed to the typically suggested 3.2 which I believe would be the best fit for my mechanical abilities and family needs. However, I have yet to drive one of these lovely machines. Along with any suggestions that you have regarding the cars, I'd love to meet up with any local owners in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas that would be willing to take me for a ride or even allow me to drive their precious Mondis. I'd be happy to let you drive my Carrera in return. :) Perhaps we can exchange info via PM/email/LinkedIn, etc.

Anyway, "hello" to all. I look forward to interacting with you guys on a regular basis.

Best Regards from Texas,

2cam

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    What is your reason to not go with a "T" ? Welcome to Fchat.

3. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh noooo... we're headed for another 3.2 vs T thread! :)
    Welcome from across the pond 2cam. I'm a few months into 3.2 ownership and confirm you are headed towards a magificent experience.
    If you do enter the 3.2 vs T conundrum, drive both. I've concluded consensus on here is unlikely with experienced, well deserved and stoic loyalty from both camps!
    For a Brit, a test drive in sunny Texas sounds like heaven. Happy hunting!

4. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Another welcome from a bit north of you. We have a fair number of Ferrari's in the DFW area and I have a 83 QV. I wouldn't mind letting you drive at all if you get up this way. They are very different than the 911 variant from similar years. I also have a Porsche 928, and a 968. I've been trying to sell my 968 for some months. Let me know if you are making a trip up this way, and we can visit. I don't know everything about the Mondial, but I'll answer some questions.

On the 3.2 vs t, there are two things that would sway me. First, the 3.2 is significantly more DIY friendly over the t. Also, it seems to me that there's a bit more rear leg room in the 3.2, but it could be the same just with different seat tracks.

5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Really it comes down to the ability to do more of the work myself. I like the styling of the T, the engine orientation, and of course the improved performance, but a 3.2 is "good enough" performance wise and looks great. The fact that it is and easier platform for DIY service (from what I've read so far) makes it a better choice for me personally.

Fantastic! I make it to the DFW area fairly regularly for business. I'll PM you to exchange info.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. :) At this point, a 3.2 is probably the way that I will go unless the right opportunity on a beautiful T presents itself.

Texas is usually great, but I would imagine a drive through the SW of England or even Wales would be preferable to Texas right now. Our 95F plus degree days are still the norm for another month and we're in the midst of a multi-year drought. As Robert Earl Keen says, "It's been a long hot summer without a drop of rain".

2cam

6. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi 2cam - I'm just down the road from you - will send a pm -

7. feiss

feiss Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Bologna Italy
    Full Name:
    Carlo Faccioli
    From Italian Owner FOREVER T CABRIOLET !!!
    Why ?
    Because she is PERFECT for line, sospension (3 different type) and sound !!!

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hi 2cam,

These are very nice machines to drive. Reading classic Alfa you will like the 3.2 over the T. but since you also drive a (classic/modern?) Carrera I guess the T sounds better.

Ps, buying a Ferrari... then the Porsche needs to go it doesn't like to share stables! ;) sorry could not resist :)

Have fun looking for one! I know I did and I can say only one thing. Drive, test drive and drive again.

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Welcome to where it's really happening on this forum.
    Here when our cars break down, and they do, we don't roll out the cash, we roll up our sleeves and boldly go where no Ferrari owner has gone before.
    Regards Bell Bloke

10. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #10 2cam, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Faber, that's great! Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. When I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking about selling the 911 to buy a Mondial, she suggested keeping both. Cool! :)

Thanks BB. I picked up on that mentality in the forum posts here. It's one of the things that I like about 911s - there's an incredible base of knowledgeable owners that have addressed just about any issue that can be encountered on the cars. The Mondial doesn't have quite the base, but it does seem that there's a wonderful peer group here to bounce ideas off of if/when there are issues.

Anyway, thanks again for the input so far.

2cam

11. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #11 Faber, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Hi 2cam - I sent two pms because I couldn't see the first one in my pm - ping back if you don't receive them - I'm in New Braunfels - Thanks,

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    *pas=pm sheesh

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Go look in the 308/328 section where they have the buyers guide information. Much of the info is the same based on idential drive trains. If you consider the t I'd go into the 348 section and look around for buying advice.

14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Thanks PV. I'll take a look at the guides.

2cam

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    But don't forget to come back and give us your thoughts. I honestly never got into the 8, QV, 3.2, t debate. I purchased the car that came along. If it had been a t I'd likley have passed due to fear, but today I would not eliminate it, but today I also have access to a lift. :D

16. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Thanks to Faber (Tom) for taking me out for a spin in his beautiful Mondial yesterday. The car was a blast to drive on the beautiful roads that are right outside of his neighborhood.

Thanks again Tom!

Mike

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome Mike!!! Congrats and look forward to your thoughts!

Cheers

18. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Glad that a fchatter was able to give you a ride in a mondi

I bit the bullet on a 3.2 last year and am loving every minute of it!

Im really taken aback every weekend while hanging with the newer ferraris the owners always check my car out and compliment me on how well she looks!

Good luck with the hunt!

19. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Welcome Mike! And congratulations! The Mondial is the perfect Ferrari IMHO. Smart choice.

20. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Thanks for the warm welcomes! I'm really impressed with the interaction and helpfulness of this board so far. The amount of knowledge here on these cars is amazing!

Thanks again,

2cam

21. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think that's what I love about the Mondial. They're different. They look so much more striking in the flesh and we've "strayed outside the norm" - they generate interest.

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #22 soucorp, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1 its going to hit Big, better grab yours while they are still affordable! :)
    What is there not to love about this Ferrari !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They look sooo great in black. I've never seen a black Mondi in the UK and wonder whether any were ever imported.
    If one came up, there'd be a real difficult discussion to be had with the wife :)

24. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Hi Mike, another welcome from the UK. The guys on this site are technical wizards (with the exception of me). I just love the car and know you'll have amazing driving experiences ahead.

Paul