Mondial Prices in 2014 | FerrariChat

Mondial Prices in 2014

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've notice a slight increase since I've bought my Ferrari 3 years ago. Considering a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO became the most valuable car in the world selling for $38 million at the Bonham’s Auction in Carmel, California recently which the gavel price disappointed the Ferrari cognoscenti, who predicted that the car might bring as much as $60 million.

These crazy auction prices are helping all Ferrari cars come up in value.

Check your model and year here: Classic 1980 Ferrari Prices, 1980 Ferrari Value & 1980 Ferrari Specs | NADAguides | NADA Classic 1980 Ferrari Car Values

Attached are samples thru the years for comparison...

C H E E R S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    I couldn't even find my car year on this Hagerty site, so I don't put too much stock in it.
    It appears that they group the models together despite of year and some how come up with a wholesale price.
    I don't think my 88 is worth the same as an 85 but its what they have. Not very accurate, lets compare apples with apples shall we!

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Hagerty's seems very suspect to me. Avg price for an '85 cab is $19.2k. Avg price for a '92t cab is $21k.

Just looking at eBay prices, t's have been in the upper $30k's

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Sep 6, 2014
    As a value guide and for the most part, I feel that Hagerty's is right on target. A dose of reality if you will. Any sale price above those are considered a "good sale" to me.

eBay, on the other hand, show asking prices, with considerable mark-up in many cases.

Notice that a small percentage of Hagerty's value data is based on asking prices.

About our prices

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mike, they do list an '87 which I think feel is representative of all U.S. spec 3.2 Cabs.

Price Guide Report

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Sep 6, 2014
    Thanks Wade, I had to keep the (model field empty and search for year first to get to it). They have 88 coupe pricing but again, I'm sorry but not putting much stock in these prices.
    There are alot of factors that go into "what's my car worth" that is not selectable in their pricing index. How about, mileage, color, maintenance records, etc...

Bottom line is still a seller can ask for whatever he thinks its worth and a buyer will pay what they think its worth for them. Having a realistic price range certainly helps in the negotiations that both parties can live with.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    True, there tends to be a big difference between "What's my car worth?" and "What are our cars worth?"

As a seller, I'd love to get the optimistic price suggested by NADA (avg retail $30,300)
    but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I consider mine a condition #2 as per Hagerty and they suggest an average value of $24,600 for that (which is about right, IMO).

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It still feels like people let decent cars go at low prices. When average to decent cars start selling for mid 20's I'll take notice. Also when junk cars go above 20. Mondials can still be found for cheap it feels. And I feel it would be a push getting more than 20K for mine. The good news for me it that it doesn't matter.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Mondial isn't on the bandwagon yet. However, all 3x8 cars are coming out of the woodwork right now.

Regarding prices, one can ask anything. ;)

Ferrari 308 GT4 | eBay

Last year that GT4 was a $15K car... and now, $65K?

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Sep 6, 2014
    There's hope after all !!! :):):) I'm with Dirk, don't really care what my cars worth, its not for sale. ;)

p.s. lets revisit this thread in about 25 years, I bet ya the asking price will seem about right then!

12. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #12 Mondi88, Sep 6, 2014
    Here in the UK, 348's & 355's have seen a big jump, even 360's seem to be rising.
    308/328's have gone stratospheric. 328's that were £35k 18 months ago are now £65-75k (auction sale prices, not just optimistic asking).
    Mondial's are not dropping for sure, but aren't (and never will?) keep pace with the percentage hikes of the models above. If they did, it would almost be a quandary - sure, owning an appreciating asset is great and one that gives us so much pleasure even better. But I know a 328 owner who is wondering whether the car is becoming too precious/valuable to enjoy as a weekend fun car, the very reason most of us buy them in the first place.
    IF this is a bubble and it bursts, my Financial Director (or mum, as the kids call her), will tell me I HAVE to keep the car. Every cloud has a silver lining :)

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is a fantastic thread gentlemen, I think the comments from my various Mondial brothers are spot on. My spider sense tells me it's probably going to a while (15-20 years) for the Mondial to hit any real appreciation.

I hope I'm wrong of course, but on the flip side....I don't see any further depreciation ever. I revel in my opinion ,as the car is what it is-with every passing year, there is never any loss of any relevance, freshness, and character. On the contrary, when at a stable base camp, the car in effect is at this point a fine wine. These cars can *only* appreciate at this point in its lifecycle. Every criticism that can be said has been said, and every virtue being re-discovered daily by folks that *understand* motoring.

It's a blessing to be an owner of a truly unique car. (In the case of any cabs, the only in history with 2+2 mid engine). That fact alone makes me smile every time it get a chance to drive it with my kids in tow.

Cheers my friends! Enjoy the car.

14. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I agree that the depreciation phase is over with for these cars. Whether that is because they are at the bottom of the depreciation curve and have started a rebound or we are seeing the affects of inflation I will leave to others to decide.

From my observations driver quality Mondials (QV and 3.2) are in the $20's...whether coupe or convertible. T's MAY bring a little more. It's been that way for a couple of years. Naturally, like any desirable marque, concours and near perfect examples will bring much more.

The old adage "a rising tide floats all boats" applies to us as well. I do believe that if the current collector car boom holds, Mondials will become more appreciated along the lines of the 308GT4. We'll never see crazy money; however, the cars will come into their own......

15. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    For what it is worth, the recent Ferrari Market Letter Asking Price Index had the following:

3.2 Mondial coupe $20,048
    3.2 Mondial cab $32, 631

Mondial T coupe $31,014
    Mondial T cab $34,297

I guess these are average prices for the year range of these cars and their condition.

360 Mondena $71,004
    360 Spider $91,268

Only include the 360s as I can dream of owning one of the coupes some day.

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Gotta be a typo there ;)

The same source, back in Feb, had:

3.2 Mondial coupe $28,156
    3.2 Mondial cab $31, 995

But then, maybe us 3.2 Coupe owners aren't asking enough!

17. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Yes one can ask anything, and also not get anything.

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Guys, I have to apologize but until we sell our Mondial prices won't get above those in 2007. There is a hard and fast law of the universe that says Dave W can't make money on anything.

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LoL, somehow my wife agrees that the same law applies to me as well !

20. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mike,
    I would have to assume that anything near average or high retail would have to include the major recently done and "everything" working properly...
    Great thread.
    Cheers,
    Greg

21. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #21 Rapalyea, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Prices

I suspect the Mondials are the last of the specialty cars to catch fire, but they probably will. For instance, my Porche buddy tells me any air cooled Porche is now like catnip. Mondials are the only reasonably priced Ferraris and they look way cool to everyone who has ever seen mine.

And if you just want a Ferrari, any Ferrari like I did fifteen months ago what do you choose? I chose because of price. Then discovered the Mondial is one hell of a better car then two seaters. And believe me. No matter where I drive no one notices how many seats it has.

I predict two things will happen. First, simple name recognition will drive buyers to Mondials simple because they are less expensive. Then I predict they will equal or may even exceed two seaters simply because they are useable in ways the two seaters are not. That will take time. But here is the converstation in five or ten years:

"This is the only useable Ferrari from the era. And see how elegant it is! Timeless." [And put the dog or kids in the back parcel shelves. Your dog or your kids at the PTA get out of a Ferrari.]

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    PS

Mondials may become premium because they are among the few or are the ONLY Ferraris that can comfortably transport a driver in cowboy hat plus two miniature poodles. I don't know.

Four seat Ferraris are not on your routine producion list.

23. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you look at the eye watering prices today at the London RM Auction, it seems the 1960's 4 seater Ferrari's are still roughly a gazilion dollars behind the 2 seaters. I suspect that gap will remain true for 80's cars.

I started another thread on the Valeo with low miles going at RM today. Be interesting to see what it gets. Less than half the estimate of a similar 348 garage queen for such a rare model leaves me fairly realistic about where the Mondial will remain in the near future.

Maybe we're in a select win/win group - if they go up, great, we're rich. If they don't, great, we can all carry on enjoying them without thinking they need to be kept in an airtight bubble.

24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Luckily my wife just said we will never sell the car so we care about prices only for insurance policy. :)

25. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 soucorp, Sep 9, 2014