New Mondial | FerrariChat

New Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by uberlink, Sep 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    On Thursday I flew to Pittsburgh to pick up my 1986 Mondial 3.2 cabriolet, red/tan/black. Bought from a collector in the area. The car had less than 19k miles and is utterly pristine. It (like every other Ferrari and Lamborghini the seller owns) genuinely looks showroom condition.

As with my last Ferrari, I had decided to drive the car back to its new home in Minnesota. My dad came along for the ride.

Everything was going great until we got around 350 miles into the drive. All of a sudden, the air conditioning stopped working. Then the car began to overheat. We immediately pulled over. It didn't take much thinking or inspection to see that we had lost one or more accessory belts.

Within an hour or two, Hagerty Plus provided a flatbed. Since everything was closed and it was starting to rain (hard), we asked the driver to take us back to his garage so we could get it inside for the night. He kindly agreed.

Plan B had always been to ship the car home in the event of a breakdown and then fly/bus/hitch our way home if need be. But we came up with a genius idea: uhaul. Readily available just about anywhere. Cheap. And it would carry us and the car home.

A few clicks online, and we had a truck lined up for the next morning. Which happened to be game day. Against Michigan. In South Bend. That made hotels and local taxi transportation challenging, but we managed.

Loaded her up with ease (the Mondial is a cinch on the standard uhaul car hauler) on Saturday around 10am and hit the road. It was an easy drive, and we made it to Minneapolis by about 8:30 Saturday night.

My friend and mechanic Tim (aka 2NA) kindly agreed to take a look that night, so we went there.

Tim figured out what happened pretty quickly. Pulled off the inspection panel and then the little fiberglass shield that covers the pulleys. We could see that the main pulley that turns the accessories had worked it's way out about 1/2". The large bolt that holds it in was completely undone and rolling around inside the pulley; it and the pulleys only stayed generally in place thanks to that little shield.

Tim got everything back where it should be, replaced the dead belt, topped up the coolant -- and we were home by midnight, only 12 hours late and under our own steam. We even got rid of the uhaul en route home.

This morning, the car was running perfectly. We even made it to the Wheels of Italy show in Minneapolis before my dad flew out to where he lives.

To those who fear "garage queens," I suspect this issue would have come to light and been fixed long ago if the car had been driven more than 1000 miles in the past six years. On the other hand, the thing just looks and drives like it is new. Perfect paint. Almost no wear on any interior surface. All electrics work. Excellent.

All that, and it fits my kids. Hoping for no more bumps in the road for a while, and certainly missing my beautiful yellow 308. But very pleased with my Mondial overall.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Let the Fun begin.

3. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Beautiful car! Let's hope that you have many more miles of trouble free motoring!!

4. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Sorry that was impossible to read -- not sure why. Reposting with normal margins (hopefully) here.

On Thursday I flew to Pittsburgh to pick up my 1986 Mondial 3.2 cabriolet, red/tan/black. Bought from a collector in the area. The car had less than 19k miles and is utterly pristine. It (like every other Ferrari and Lamborghini the seller owns) genuinely looks showroom condition.

As with my last Ferrari, I had decided to drive the car back to its new home in Minnesota. My dad came along for the ride.

Everything was going great until we got around 350 miles into the drive. All of a sudden, the air conditioning stopped working. Then the car began to overheat. We immediately pulled over. It didn't take much thinking or inspection to see that we had lost one or more accessory belts.

Within an hour or two, Hagerty Plus provided a flatbed. Since everything was closed and it was starting to rain (hard), we asked the driver to take us back to his garage so we could get it inside for the night. He kindly agreed.

Plan B had always been to ship the car home in the event of a breakdown and then fly/bus/hitch our way home if need be. But we came up with a genius idea: uhaul. Readily available just about anywhere. Cheap. And it would carry us and the car home.

A few clicks online, and we had a truck lined up for the next morning. Which happened to be game day. Against Michigan. In South Bend. That made hotels and local taxi transportation challenging, but we managed.

Loaded her up with ease (the Mondial is a cinch on the standard uhaul car hauler) on Saturday around 10am and hit the road. It was an easy drive, and we made it to Minneapolis by about 8:30 Saturday night.

My friend and mechanic Tim (aka 2NA) kindly agreed to take a look that night, so we went there.

Tim figured out what happened pretty quickly. Pulled off the inspection panel and then the little fiberglass shield that covers the pulleys. We could see that the main pulley that turns the accessories had worked it's way out about 1/2". The large bolt that holds it in was completely undone and rolling around inside the pulley; it and the pulleys only stayed generally in place thanks to that little shield.

Tim got everything back where it should be, replaced the dead belt, topped up the coolant -- and we were home by midnight, only 12 hours late and under our own steam. We even got rid of the uhaul en route home.

This morning, the car was running perfectly. We even made it to the Wheels of Italy show in Minneapolis before my dad flew out to where he lives.

To those who fear "garage queens," I suspect this issue would have come to light and been fixed long ago if the car had been driven more than 1000 miles in the past six years. On the other hand, the thing just looks and drives like it is new. Perfect paint. Almost no wear on any interior surface. All electrics work. Excellent.

All that, and it fits my kids. Hoping for no more bumps in the road for a while, and certainly missing my beautiful yellow 308. But very pleased with my Mondial overall.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...31744121f9.jpg
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...65efadc715.jpg
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...607c3e5d66.jpg
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...64c2f01f46.jpg
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...440502b8e4.jpg

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Mishaps with happy endings make better stories :D

Congratulations on the car. Looks great. Many happy miles.

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Looks good, carries groceries and a kid or two and fresh air. And ... pst ... faster then any 308.

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Good lesson to remember when looking at twenty five year old cars, that have low mileage on them. Like the two Marshall Goldman have for sale at $60K with on 7K and 11K on them. Rubber does not seem to age as well as some of these cars, and when you start to heat it up or spin it really fast, that age catches up with you.

Mark, the bad news is you had a problem with your new Ferrari, the good new is, it did not cost you an arm and a leg.

Car is really good looking. Better drive the hell out of it before is begins to snow.

ceb39

8. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Thanks, ceb39. I actually feel great about the situation. It was an adventure, and we got the problem solved. The belts were fine -- just done last year. I think this was a case of a bolt that didn't get torqued down and then had plenty of time to work it's way loose during our cross country drive.

I'm completely in love with the car. Adored my 308. But the reality is that this is a far more useable and refined version of that same car. What's not to love?

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #9 2NA, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    Congrats! Its a beauty.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    You had a 308 for years. Give us a bit of compare/contrast. Of course it isn't fair, the new car is the new affair so your view may be through rose colored glasses, but I'm still interested in hearing what you think.

12. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #12 uberlink, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Interesting question. My 308 was a 1980 model with about 60k miles on it. As a result, it was underpowered compared to the '86 Mondial 3.2 (down by about 60 horsepower). But I otherwise find the driving experience to be very, very similar. The Mondial might corner ever so slightly flatter, but not a big difference, and some of that might be due to the 308 having more miles and wear on the suspension bits.

One big difference in terms of the driving experience is the clutch. The Mondial is hydraulic, with a very nice light feel. The 308 had a mechanical linkage and took quite a lot of leg strength to hold it down through a long light.

Other smaller differences are in overall refinement. The 308 is a 1970s design. It has an incredibly cool feel inside, with all the old school rocker switches and such. I probably have a slight preference for all that. It's just neat. The Mondial feels much more refined. The ergonomics are better. The materials are comparable or nicer. Much more stuff is electric (a blessing for ease of use but probably a curse for reliability).

Of course, the primary difference -- and the reason for the change -- is space and usability. The Mondial has a legitimate back seat. I am over 6' tall, but I could fit back there in a pinch. It isn't like a 911 rear seat. It's more like the seat in an Audi A5 or something. I can get two kid seats back there. The rear trunk is larger than the 308's, and it isn't shared with the heat and fumes of the engine bay.

One downside: The 308 was never water tight, but it would keep most of the water out with its targa roof in place. The rag top on the Mondial might keep you dry in a light sprinkle, but we got caught for a bit in a pretty serious downpour coming back. And the water was just getting in everywhere. Made me nervous for the leather and the electronics.

Those are my main thoughts. I loved the 308. Great car with drop dead looks and good reliability. But this is, in my estimation, a notch better in overall driving experience. The Mondial is not quite as iconically pretty, but great looking compared to just about everything else on the road. And it fits my life.

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mark, great story and beautiful car ! I think you nailed the quote of the day, the Mondial "... it fits my life".

Cheers

14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #14 2cam, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Great report and beautiful car!

EXACTLY why I'm looking at the Mondials. Plus I love the looks. I'm not really comparing the Mondial to other Ferraris as much as it's being compared to other available classic sports cars that have 4 semi-usable seats, great styling, decent performance/handling, manual gearbox, and European heritage. There really isn't much to choose from given that criteria. The Mondial just makes sense. Bonus - it just happens to be a Ferrari. :)

2cam

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Mark, thanks for the report. The gasket between the top of the windshield frame and the top is very old on our cars. I don't know how available they are but I sourced one a few years back and my car stays dry inside in the largest of downpours. I don't hesitate to drive in any amount of rain.

Of course not many of us take the cars out in that weather so it may be a moot point.

I agree with you on the mechanical switches. I think my favorite Ferrari cockpit is that of the 308gt4 with all the levers.

16. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    @ PV Dirk: I think part of the issue might have been user error. The rubber gasket seems to be in good shape (stored in a heated garage all these years). But I don't think I had the little adjustment nuts snugged down on the ends. Hoping not to have to test that again...

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #17 soucorp, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Mark, this is a must see for new cabrio owners nicely put together by my buddy and fellow Fchatter 'davebdave'. If you do as Dave illustrates, you will get the top operation thing down to a science and hopefully never break the toggles as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_vyfBeMfo]Ferrari Mondial Cabrio Top Operation - YouTube[/ame]