Electronic Dipstick | FerrariChat

Electronic Dipstick

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by uberlink, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    My 86 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet has the electronic dipstick. The PPI detected that it was not functioning, although I do not know if the problem is with the dipstick itself or with something else in the car.

Can I just check oil by pulling this thing out manually? Or will the manual dipstick from a 308 or 328 do the trick?

Yes, I've searched the forum. I found a few intriguing hints, but nothing definitive.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Yes, you use it to manually check the oil level. The electronics are not for the general checking of oil level. I can't remember which one it is, but the electronics are either for the low oil idiot light onthe console panel or the sensor for the oil temperature.

Does the oil temperature guage work? If it does, it must be the other one.

Going from memory, there are metal rings around the dipstick that are the high an low levels. There is also some routine aroeund checking the oil leve that is in the manual, i.e. get engine tooperating temperature, shut it off, and wait 15 minutes. I suppose otherwise it reads too low as the oild is still floing out of the cooler or somehting like that.

4. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #4 uberlink, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    Oil temp gauge is fine. I think it activates the warning light.

I'm just wanting to make sure I can check it manually. Only just got the car. I got about 1/2 a mile into pulling the dipstick out and started worrying I might be making a mistake. It looks a lot different from the dipstick on my old 308. Thanks for the tips.

5. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I would start by looking at the wires that go into the connector that goes into the dipstick. They are pretty much holding it in place, and get tugged and twisted a lot when you disconnect it I had one pull out of the terminal there.

6. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    When I read "electronic dipstick" I immediately thought of Bill Gates.....LOL

7. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Bill Gates. That's funny. My mechanic, actually a dealership, told me they disconnect the electronic dipstick from the idiot control because it was always malfunctioning and it meant nothing. If you have to check it because the light comes on, why not check it anyway regularly.

Regards,
    Brian

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Mine works fine. It is a regular but flexible dipstick it just has a sensor at the bottom.

I find that if I stop for a quick moment (shut engine off) and the oil is getting toward the low side and I start the car right away the mission control light might come on due to lower oil level in sump. If I wait 10 minutes the light would not go on as the oil has settled down. When this happens I know I'm getting a bit low and about a quart brings it back up. I find it handy.

9. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Mine works fine as well. Just clean the connector. And check your oil! Mondials when driven hard can consume oil. I think I read in the owners manual or somewhere 1 quart every 500 miles. A few years ago when I went to get my Mondial inspected by Tim Stamford at the Palm Beach International Raceway, he had to add 2 and a half quarts prior to letting me put her on the track! I was very very surprised by that.