Deferred maintenance - your definition please? | FerrariChat

Deferred maintenance - your definition please?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondi88, Sep 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am the least capable mechanic possible and in awe of the "just taken my engine out" threads. I changed the battery on my '88 3.2 recently and wanted a medal. It will remain my crowning moment in personal maintenance.

So, given you now understand that, I have a question regarding something that is often quoted in threads but I've never truly understood. My Mondial has a good history file, with some eye watering invoices from main Ferrari dealers through until the mid 2000's. Since then it has had regular lube and cambelt servicing, plus brake pads/discs, but little else.

I want to look after her and do not want to be a "deferred maintenance" owner because I intend keeping her a lifetime. Does deferred maintenance mean (i) you simply do not service the car (ii) items are flagged during routine maintenance but not rectified (iii) a pro-active maintenance routine is not followed, replacing items above and beyond the recommended maintenance schedule?

My Mondi's at 34,000 miles and with my skills, will always be in the hands of someone else charging money to look after her. I trust my local garage, so do I leave it to them to tell me what needs doing or can you guys (based on experience) provide pro-active suggestions they might miss? What gets me off the defered maintenance owners register?

2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    You can't go wrong if you follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual.

A lot of people "defer" the belt service because of the time and cost, but that's a big mistake. If one of the teeth on an old belt breaks off inside the engine, it can do a ton of damage.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Deferred maintenance - your definition please?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To me, this means anything that needs to be repaired or replaced either by service schedule or as advised by a service professional but owner forgoes it and keeps driving it without doing anything. Important things would be engine related and things you can live with would be rear windows not working or ac blowing warm air.

i.e. Cam belt replacement, squeaky bearings, dry rot tires, hoses, fuel lines and brake lines etc

4. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks guys, that makes sense.
    Any advice as to pro-active jobs with a 3.2 mid 30's miles car and I'll discuss with my garage. I've heard suggestions like cam seals, O rings, adjusting valves (not necessarily at this mileage though).

Not looking to spend money, but anything prudent from your experience that isn't mentioned in the manual (I wonder if the manual caters for the fact that these cars can take 25 years to get to a 37,500 mile service).

5. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    By way of an answer, I'm going to tell you a story, but it's a true story and well documented. However, I'm not going to look up the names and places on google.

Back in WWII, we built and maintained a lot of materiel that was put into some severe service. If it didn't work right, men died, and countries were lost. So, a rather astute chap in the UK looked at the maintenance records of aircraft and found an interesting thing. Aircraft that were well 'serviced' seemed to have a higher rate of failure, and flagging for issues on the planes that took them out of service. In fact, the best maintained planes were the ones with the poorest flight records! He did a careful study, and brought his findings to the command, and they scoffed as well, and told him his facts were wrong, and that mechanical things needed regular maintenance.

Of course, the pilots got wind of this, and anything that affected their safety and well being was pretty important. So they listened to this guy, and stopped having things done on their planes. To the point that some aircraft commanders made the crew chief sleep in the plane to keep the maintenance chaps out of there. And surprised to everyone but this one guy, the planes which were 'maintained' the worst started having the best flight records.

That was when the idea of infant mortality, and/or maintenance induced defects was borne. Which we know today colloquially as 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Meaning if a system is running in nominal way, and is being used as designed, it's probably best not to alter or mess with it.

That does NOT apply to wear items, or sacrificial materials in a system. Wear items of course include belts, bearings, tires, brake pads, etc. If something is worn beyond it's service life, the chances of failure increase dramatically. As it relates to Ferraris, I think most of them are vastly overmaintained. Cars that are regularly serviced by Ferrari are the worst examples. BTW, I have a Ferrari with 100k miles. My windows are slow, but working. My fuel injection was giving me fits after not being touched for 31 years. Finally, the rough running at low speed got to me, and I just replaced all the injectors, fuel lines, rebuilt the fuel dist, and WUR. Now, I've maintained it, I'll probably have nothing but fits with the fuel inj system for a few months. lol....

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm with Mike. Not fixing what should be fixed, also skipping items on the maintenance schedule. One thing that might come to mind is replacing the belts many times over the years without pulling the cam covers to check the valve adjustment.

I think my car has a great example of deferred maintenance. My differential is leaking a bit and spits some oil onto the exhaust at the rear. It was doing that 4 years ago at my last service. I didn't have the time and I left it. It hasn't gotten worse (fortunately) but it still needs to be done. If I left that and 5 other similar non threatening problems and the next owner wanted to make everything right, all of a sudden the shop bill will get very expensive to make my car perfect. Another example, my distributor caps are getting older. I reused them at the last service. If they were a $15.00 part I would replace them without question. As it is I will ask a respected tech to look them over and advise me on whether or not they can be used for another 30K miles. I will replace them if necessary.

When I did my last service I did the big items and stopped short of everything I'd liked to have done. Now the engine is on the ground and I need to make the same decisions. Last time I rolled the dice and left the water pump. This time I'll have it rebuilt. Last time I left the thermostat, this time I'll replace it. These are all items that are mentioned as service interval items and have opinions surrounding them.

My thought is that these were cars that were built with a high expectation of service and maintenance. They are robust enough to go without much of the talked about items. Those are personal choices that each of us have to make based on the information we can gather.

Will my car be perfect after this service. I doubt it. I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll make the A/C functional. And if I do, how far will I go? I don't know yet.

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Hi Doc,

Good point, counterpoint arguments made. If I were to accept your statement as statistically accurate I would make an argument that statistically more than 50% of techs in the wide world aren't as intellectually curious and careful as I would hope. Many people do jobs because they are told to and go through the motions.

In the current airline industry planes are taken nearly completely apart and reassembled every couple years. They don't fall apart on a regular basis, but that his highly looked over and when we drop our cars off they are certainly not that highly looked over.

If my car was going to one of the top 5 techs in the country I would not be worried, but there are plenty of stories of cars going into shops and coming out with new problems where the owner would have been better to leave well enough alone.

And to your point I would also say that hard parts have a service life. There is often a bit of wear and tear simply by taking something apart and reassembling and many parts are only good for so many cycles. Ideally if the correct care is provided most of our hard parts should outlast the car but a cam cover can certainly be subject to abuse by the wrong person when off the car, dropped, dinged on removal, etc.

None of this really is designed to sway the OP either way, just a thought that came to mind :)

8. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    The 'why' of the statistics are important to a philosopher. The OP has his answer to your 'why' question right in the second paragraph. Some eye watering invoiced followed by simple wear item replacements.

Always a doubter in every crowd.

OBTW, I fly and maintain my own airplane. I've seen the results of over-maintenance with my own eyes. There's a buddy of mine who has an Aerostar with two good running engines, one had 2200 hours, and one had 1650 hours. He took them both off for 'rebuild'. It's been a nightmare ever since. The plane has been out of service now for 9 months. Prior to his service, the engines were running fine, making good power, not using too much oil, and basically operating nominally. Oh well.

9. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    In italian I say "Se funziona e quasi basta, non toccare se no si guasta". The translation is:
    "If it works and that's enough, don't touch, otherwise it brokes".
    I agree that over maintenance it could be "dangerous" but the regular mantenance HAS to be done.... even if, sometimes, it's not enough.
    My personal experience: my daily (and for now only) car is a Alfa Romeo 159. It has 64.000 kms on the odo and 7 years. It has been serviced like stated by Alfa (every 2 years or 30.000 kms) but at 63.000 kms the gearbox and differential broken down in a catastrofical way and I have to change it all (2600 € for a refurbished gear). I suspect that they didn't put enough oil in the gear at the factory because the car has been kept maniacally and always driven in a proper way (I even double clutch when I have to downshift), always driven carefully when cold... everything.

So, coming back in topic: no over maintenance, yes to regular maintenance and lots of luck is needed anyway :)
    Alessandro

10. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you gents. Very informative read.

11. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Another post which proves my point. Serviced the trans incorrectly(low/wrong fluid) -> catastrophic failure due to a maintenance activity. If he hadn't serviced the trans, it would still be in good order today.

12. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    Ehm, I haven't serviced it... service of the trans was due at 90.000 kms (changing oil).
    Here the problem has been.... bad luck, probably someone at the factory slept on my gearbox and didn't put enough oil in it.

Back to topic now ;)
    Alessandro

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So because you can't pick a good mechanic it's better to ignore maintenance?

Great plan.

Maybe you should spend a few extra bucks and get someone good.

14. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    That's like not getting a cancer removed because you fear the surgeon might do a bad job. :(

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

When “Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it” was written the author forgot to remind us that if we do not keep that history in context we will draw the wrong conclusions.
    In WW2 a vast number of the aviation mechanics were, just a few months earlier high school students or working in a hardware store, a farm or taking tickets at the local movie theater. They were scooped up, given good training and thrown into the deep end of the pool with little or no practical experience, too little supervision and a great deal of patriotic zeal causing them to work all nighters with little or no food and rest trying against all odds to keep airplanes in the air so their pilots could go fight the enemy. Often that airplanes maintenance test flight was the next combat sortie. I find it little surprise mistakes were made and I find it very difficult to find many parallels with servicing cars by experienced mechanics in peacetime. By this logic I suppose I could say following a Second Lieutenant into combat can get you killed and advising not to ever follow the instructions or commands of superiors. It would be equally bad advice.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm reminded of what I did when I first purchased my car. I did research, found the best mechanic I could and set an appointment to meet him, show him the car and discuss it. I was surprised by the questions he asked. He wanted to know what my goals were with the car, what I wanted to do with it and how I would use it.

Every time he had it I asked him to let me know of any concerns or any potential problems. I let him lead the way on what should be serviced or repaired because he knows the cars. I told him every time it was in that I was happy to pay an extra hour just for them to give the car a looking over and peek at anything they considered patern issues. He never did charge me that extra hour.

He gave me guidance on what was necessary to be done with/to the car to achieve my goals. I felt like he was the doctor and the car my child. He let me know what was normal, what to look for and what needed to be attended to.

I miss talking to him. A very zen fellow.

I never asked him to do anything to a price. I trusted him and he was always fair and I always got good value. Value, not price is what I was looking for.

What am I getting at? Find the best tech you can and that you trust and let him tell you what your car needs.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    PV is right about finding the best wrench you can. It's the "trust" part that's nebulous. How do you really know whether your water pump is in imminent danger of failing or whether your mechanic's kid just needs braces? That's the trust part.
    If things are seriously in need of replacement, then for heaven's sake do it. Other items I would do w/o fail are safety items such as brake lines, fuel lines, etc. Do I think the world will end if you go 25% over the factory mileage interval for cam belts, etc? No! (Some others will disagree.) Do I think a perfectly functioning water pump should be changed just because you're having your cam belts changed? Hell no; not for $800. It's easy enough to change yourself when necessary. Having said that, if my water pump was 8 yrs old, and I was going on a 3,000 mile drive, I would change it. Ditto for fuel pump.
    I would say that repair areas which could somewhat safely be deferred would be vacuum lines, suspension bushings, shocks, etc. The next caveat is, however, that the sooner you change these, the sooner your car will again feel like a Ferrari!

18. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yup, in combination with following the manufacturers schedule, that's my conclusion from this thread. Thanks all

19. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Whoa, where did this come from? I picked a good mechanic, me. It's ok, be a sheep. baaaaaaaaaa

20. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Actually, I think there are parallels to the "if it ain't broke" for humans, too. Seems like a lot of people go in for a minor procedure and end up opening the floodgates to a host of additional problems...think Joan Rivers.

I think I'll live with the aches...LOL

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Amen.

Deferred maintenance is better than maintenance preformed by incompetent mechanics.

I learned the hard way.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #22 Wade, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Well now that depends... keeping (a driver) or buying. For a lot of owners who drive their cars, little things (problems?) can be taken care of later. On the flip side, a buyer looking at the same car may think that this particular Ferrari isn't maintained as well as it should (i.e. everything perfect, all the time). :)

23. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #23 hank sound, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Teddy, They're will always be "lambs". We can only be thankful that "the incompetent mechanics", didn't ruin your Mondial experience. You were saved (hello, Dave Helms & family) - and there is a chorus of cheerleaders, all screaming for justice.

So - we'll discuss this over wine on Friday night.

Can't wait to see ya, my friend.

Hankie

24. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Couldn't agree more. Can't wait!

Have you ever been to Boulder?

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

How would one of the teeth on a timing belt get inside the engine?