Mondial was delivered yesterday... Questions | FerrariChat

Mondial was delivered yesterday... Questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ferrariguyma, Sep 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    #1 ferrariguyma, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Intercity finally delivered my Mondial coupe yesterday.

I am sure I will have more questions but for starters:

I am going back to TRX tires on factory wheels. Can someone tell me what size spare wheel the factory delivered with the TRX USA Mondials? My car came with both the original TRX 390 wheels/tires as well as the 348 wheels seen in my delivery photo, no spare was included with the sale.

I am also actively in the market for a black passenger side interior grab handle (the on that mounts in the headliner).

And I need a beige leather round access cap that mounts on the door to hide/cover access to the emergency window crank gearing.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Nice color.

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I love the color Andrew! however I agree that the stock wheels would fit her better in this combination. Congrats!

Regarding the tyre sizes. I believe both rear tyres are fitted on the same rear rim, but I am not sure. I have the stock radial wheels.

Front Tyre TRX 220/55 VR 390

Rear TRX 220/55 VR 390
    or
    Rear TRX 240/55 VR 390

Not sure if you have a dealer in the US. In Europe we can only get new Michelin TRX from the UK.
    http://www.classictyres.net/ferrari-tyres.htm

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/Michelin_TRX_Tyres

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Sep 16, 2014
    Great looking car, congrats! I believe your 3.2 can use either TRX or 16 metric from factory.

TRX setup for rims & tires:
    160 TR 390 front Michelin 220/55 VR 390 (the front wheels are used as spare as well)
    180 TR 390 rear Michelin 240/55 VR 390

If I were you, I would do nothing at this point with the tires until you get use to the 348 wheels you have, they should perform much better than the TRX, not to mention very expensive to buy replacements for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    QV
    180 TR 390 with Michelin TRX 240/55 VR 390 Tubeless for front & rears

160 TR 390 front Michelin 220/55 VR 390 or 7J x 16" GoodYear Eagle 205/55 VR 16 N.O.
    180 TR 390 rear Michelin 240/55 VR 390 or 8J x 16" GoodYear Eagle 225/55 VR 16 N.O.

T
    front 7J x 16" Michelin 205/55 ZR 16 or GoodYear Eagle 205/55 ZR 16
    rear 8J x 16" Michelin 225/55 ZR 16 or GoodYear Eagle 225/55 ZR 16

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great looking car.

I would do nearly anything to avoid going back to TRX's. Very mediocre tire, expensive and poor availability.

6. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    agreed

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #7 MvT, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Depending on what you do I think :D

I actually find it the other way around to be honest. I notice that the car is more sticky on the road with TRX during corners since it has lesser flex then stock radial :) Not talking about 20year old stock of course.. New TRX. TRX in combination with the TRX wheel it is the perfect combination for driving fast. However with (heavy) rain its a horrible tyre, not to mention horrible expensive indeed, but if money is no issue.
    Agree, tyres on 348 wheels have less flex too :)

btw. Radial or MM wheels. You would need new bolts as well when you don't change your mind.

8. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am trying to figure out what size TRX rim my car would have been delivered with from the factory. I am going to buy a 5th TRX and wanted to try to keep the car "as delivered" as possible. Anyone know what width spare wheel would have resided in the front spare well from the factory?

Thanks!

Andrew

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Post 4 line 3 = 160TR390 - this originality exercise is going to cost you about three thousand bucks in tires let alone rims

10. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Andrew,
    my spare is a 240 (1982 Mondial US)
    Best
    Jurgen

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A few questions for you Andrew:

1. Do you have an owner's manual (for example, Mike's image in post #4)?

2. Is there a tire size sticker on the windshield?

3. How do you know that your car came from Ferrari with metric wheels and tires (TRX)?

As you may already know, either 16" wheels or the 390 was available for the 3.2 Mondial.

All Ferraris Owner's Manual Downloads

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Beautiful car, and lovely color. It really suits the lines of the Mondial.

Are you planning on selling your 348 wheels by chance?

13. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wheels and lugs will be sold once I get the TRX on.

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    That is truly one beautiful 3.2 Coupe !!! And of course, the 348 wheels are mounted backwards. :):)

But, what the hey ........ you're going to change them anyway.

Cheers,

Hank

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I like the color of your car. Congrations on adding a Ferrari to your garage. Wonderful driving cars.

16. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Congrats on the car. Beautiful. The only thing I'm not certain of is why you so badly want TRX's on it. Yes, appropriate for certain concours events, but some 3.2's, like mine had Goodyears from their beginning and they are significantly cheaper than the metrics and still considered original. Check your owners manual and you will probably see that both types of tires are listed in it.

17. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Very nice looking Mondial. Love the birthing pic ;). Welcome to the club.

If TRX is a must, i can help you with 1... I have a new one as my spare but I'm sure the born on date is old. I'll sell it to you for just the cost of a Michelin Sport replacement. But Like Jay says, you may be better off with a non metric set.

18. ferrariguyma

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

The PO sent me the original wheels (4) no spare with the car, they are 390 TRX'S

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #19 PV Dirk, Sep 16, 2014
    I'm going to go against all my buddies. Older cars are a means to travel through time. A person can upgrade something old to be newer but for me that taints the experience I'm looking for. TRX wheels I've heard (no actual experience) are a different driving experience. Unless you stay with them you will not know what your car was as delivered. History can be good, bad or indifferent but unless you taste it for yourself you don't know.

Now the 3.2s did get delivered with both TRX and 16 inch wheels. I like the look of the TRX tires. I think they are interesting. I think they are a conversation starter.

My Dad has a 1930 model A Ford. The tires for that are crazy expensive too but you won't see him upgrading. :D

For better performance, any of us can buy a corvette.

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #20 hank sound, Sep 16, 2014
    PV - - I agree with what you state, but your dad's 30 A and this 3.2 are not in the same game, so the comparison doesn't work. If the 16"ers and 390 (TRX) were both supplied by the factory, I believe that only the original window sticker would or could indicate the delivery wheel type supplied with that particular vehicle. Even that may not be indicated.

I would recommend 16"s since an extensive range of manufacturer's summer, all season and even snow tires (PV, don't you have some experience there?), are available for that car. Also, there's a dramatic cost difference between TRX and 16" tires.

Best, we do what makes us happy........ yep, I'll drink to that.

Cheers, Hank

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If the PO was also the first owner and/or there's some provenance indicating the TRX as OEM then I can understand, however...

It's not uncommon for opportunists to install the 390s when flipping a Mondial and then selling the desirable 16" inchers separately for a profit.

Just something to think about before an investment it made.

And lastly, if your plans are for limited use (shows, parades, etc.) then please carry on... :)

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Yep. Early MY 1986 cars delivered to the US had the metric TRX's

Joe

23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    hmmm.. that's Dirk's line in Post 19 :)

24. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    thats a beautiful color!

if you are looking for the TRX spare it seems that the 160 is the spare size call ferrparts they have a few

25. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    #25 milko1969, Sep 17, 2014
    I also have the 16 inch wheels mounted, but also still have the original TRX in stock.
    Don't ever sell the TRX wheels because it looks that lots of owners tend to get back to the original sets, despite of the huge costs of new tires.