tiny alternator belt | FerrariChat

tiny alternator belt

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Sep 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #1 srephwed, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day to all.My 85 QV euro has the two belt setup.one runs the water pump and has a tightener.the second drives the alternator and the alternator moves to tighten belt.I had an issue with the pulley and the armature got messed up.ordered a new pulley and it would not fit.The pulley was dished to much and belt was not aligned.made the pulley work by machining the back off but it must rely on the tightness of the nut to drive the alternator.another concern is that the belt is tiny.seems ok for a water pump but not enough for an 80 amp alternator.Whats on your car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Fred,
    When I replaced my cambelts & accessory belts, I remember the water pump was the smallest, AC belt, then Alternator, CAM belts being the biggest...
    You sure you have the right belt for the alternator? Also I'm confused on why you had to machine the pulley for it, why couldn't you find an exact replacement? You can ask Daniel at RicambiAmerica.com, he knows exactly what size you need.

My thread on Cambelt Replacement: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/406347-belt-replacements-mondial-3-2-a.html
    Best

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    this pulley is the Ferrari part number and takes the narrow belt like your water pump.my narrow belt was ordered from aw Italian for the two belt design.when I installed the pulley to the alternator the crank pulley was not in line with it.also my crank pulley is narrow and would not accept the wider belt you have.there have been goofy things about my car I quess because it is the euro version.almost seems that it is a 1984 titled as a 1985 or something.i will try recambi.thanks for the help

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interesting thing about the Mondial that alot of folks don't know:
    80-81 Mondial 8 coupe only
    82-84 Mondial QV coupe
    83-85 Mondial QV cabrio
    85-88 Mondial 3.2 coupe
    86-88 Mondial 3.2 cabrio
    89-93 Mondial T coupe & cabrio

Can't go wrong with Daniel's help, just need to let him know you have a euro.

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Fred, have all your "ducks in line" on your end - and then Daniel (RICAMBI) will surely be able to fill your needs. Email him photographs to take the place of typing your a$$ off. :):)

Good luck,

Hank

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    talked with Daniel today and he is puzzled.now I have to figure out if I have an 80 or 85 amp alternator.very confusing.

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Typically, the two belt cars will use an steel pulley for the 10x800mm "wide" belt. The single belt cars with the 7mx1000mm narrow belts will have an aluminum pulley on the alternator.
    Then again, you could be dealing with a non-OEM alternator which will put an different spin on your situation. No pun intended...

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hi Fred,

I think Dave needs to know the Amp because the difference might differ in pully size. My guess is that you need this belt.

FERRARI part# 107971
    (on superformance's website it says it is 1000mm in length)

Just make a rope that fits how the belt normally would fit and measure the length and compare it with the lenghts that are defined with the interchange parts or the original. The top width is the thickness of either of the pullies, however keep in mind that it does not go over the edge of either of the two else it will wear out real fast. So the V shape should always the perfect fit or a bit smaller.

Cross Interchange Parts:

Factory - Number
    GATES - 7M1000
    GATES - 8448PF
    NSN - 3030-00-242-5726
    Industry Standard - 7M1000
    THERMOID - 7M1000
    GOODYEAR - 7M1000

HTH
    Tijn