A/C advise, where to begin | FerrariChat

A/C advise, where to begin

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigeasy, Sep 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    My 84 Mongrel QV Cab has what appears to be a complete A/C system, however the compressor belt was removed by the PO. and stated he never used it, and was not aware of the systems condition ( I Know, not good). What would be the first items to check or test to see where this unit stands. I don't want to cause any additional damage by cycling the system if it isn't up to the task. This is going to be my winter/fall project now that she is running GREAT! Any advise, war stories, or links to a Ferrari AC 101 video would help.

Thanks!

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Okay mark, so what is a Mongrel QV?

lol, never mind. Having the AC belt off will not hurt the compressor, just get a new ac belt and put it back on. (ask Daniel at RicambiAmerica.com as they come in 2 different sizes). If the compressor works -great, if its dead, you will need a new one or get it rebuilt. Once you know your compressor is working, its seeing if the blower works in the cabin, then if its blowing cold air or not? If not, well, you will need R12 refrigerant or if your car has been converted to R134a which I doubt, you will need a refill. Most likely there's a leak around the pipes or condenser as they tend to rust and pin holes start forming.

Find a shop that can recharge R12 or at least have a look to see what condition your system is in. To gauge it properly, you will need a high pressure and low pressure gauge set and the numbers are calibrated based on ambient temperature.. What you don't want to do is just go to Autozone and start filling in R134a thru the low pressure port, not to mention the adapter will need to be retrofitted for R12!!! Having said that, R12 does not equal R134a so never mixed the two refrigerants ever! There's a whole lot of other things you have to do (vacuum suck old gas out, add new lubricate, new gas, check dryer ...etc) Hope this some what helps.

I actually learned alot from this dude:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w17DpGCcRj8]AC System Basics - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/ame]

3. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    I call mine a Mongrel because it is like a junk yard dog, underappreciated but powerful.

Thanks for the quick tips, I have been surfing the U-tube video's seems to be a straight forward system, just needing some specialized equipment to service. At least I can go to the AC shop with a little more knowledge. Thanks again!