Stereo problem | FerrariChat

Stereo problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by uberlink, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Yes, I know I'm supposed to just listen to the engine. But this car is defaulting to my daily driver for as long as the weather stays good. And the stereo isn't working. It glows, but the display doesn't work and it doesn't play music. It's an aftermarket Denon unit with an external amp under the front hood.

Any thoughts before I take it to a car stereo shop? What fuse feeds this thing?

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    My first action would be to put in a different stereo to see if the wiring to the speakers are in order. Obviously there are other ways to test the wiring, but I guess that would be the quickest. I need to say that the old Ferrari speakers are really in state of dissolution after 30 years. The foam surround suspension just deteriorates after such time.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Usually these units have a fuse wire in back of the radio, you might get lucky and get it working again with a new fuse. The odds are the radio is just too old and an internal component has failed, being Denon its not the top end of electronics and getting it repaired is probably not worth it as getting a new system installed. Check your owners manual for Mondial Fuse setup: All Ferraris

Also, check your speaker condition, I suspect it will need to be replaced as well. see my thread on this: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/350524-replacing-speakers-my-88-a.html

Best

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Is a stereo anything like a radio?

5. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I think it's a newer aftermarket system, and the speakers appear to be in good condition. The fuse in back was my thought, too. I had a Kenwood unit in a car years ago that woudl do this exact same thing, and there was a fuse in back that was always the culprit. I figured I'd ask here to see if there was anything unique to the wiring in these cars such that there might be a fuse elsewhere that was involved.

I'll pull it out and see what I can see.

6. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    What do you suppose is providing power to make it glow?

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If your hazard, flashers, courtesy lights are working, its not the fuse that's the problem with the radio as it shares the same fuse located in position #4. see pic
    9 out of 10 its the Radio that's the problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Soucorp, thankss. That's exactly what I was trying to figure out.