Ignition faulty? | FerrariChat

Ignition faulty?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Sweet928, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I have had intermittent problems with starting for which I've brought my car in for service several times. My shop has fixed a few things and it seems I might have had a layer of problems. For example not starting when hot and dying when driving have been fixed but now I seem to have been having more and more problems with no power when starting AND a stuck key. My last original key broke off in the ignition - which I was able to get out. That key never had the mechanical problem I'm about to describe.

I had made four new keys from pictures and my guess is the new cuts don't quite made up to the worn pins inside the lock. From reading here I also suspect the electronics are dirty at the base of the ignition AND I have a mechanical issue with the key itself.

1. Right now I can inset the key but it will not turn (most of the time) and especially the last several tries.

2. When it did (last night) turn, the key didn't start the car. Totally dead. Power seems fine though in lights, horn, etc.

In the past when I did turn the key and it was totally dead - a few more tries or wait a few minutes and try again usually did the trick.

Right now I have both problems happening at once!

My concern is that the ignition is NLA. What's the solution here if I need a whole new ignition?

I saw there is a BMW part for the electronics at the base of the ignition so it's a relief there is a alt part option but what about my mechanical problem? Is there an alternate part I can use here?

I plan to tow my car to the shop but it's going to suck since the car is in my garage and the steering wheel is locked.

Just trying to gather as much info as possible to prepare the parts I might need if there are any.

Thanks. It's times like these that I wonder if I should have kept my old Porsche. This kind of stuff just didn't happen - ever.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like you need a new cylinder or key, see these threads for ideas:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/451446-lock-replacement.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/449843-help-please-lost-keys.html

Best

3. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    I agree with Sourcoup.
    First of all you'll have to replace the cylinder and the key and then you can see if this solves any problem (for sure the locking of the steering :) ).

After that you'll have to consider to replace the module that is "behind" the key (I'm sorry, I don't know the technical english term, in Italian it's "blocchetto d'accensione").
    When you turn the key, behind the scenes the are contacts that are made. If the module is worn, every type of electrical gremlins come out.

Many years ago I had an old Fiat (same period of the x08 and Mondial 8/QV/3.2) and it started to give me a lot of electrical iussues: I brought her to the shop and they replaced the whole unit (key and what it's behind, not just the cylinder) and everything was solved.

I heard that the key block for the x08/Mondials was the same of many Fiat of the same period. Maybe you are having the same problem that I had too many years ago on my already old Fiat.

Regards.
    Alessandro

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #4 MvT, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    You have several issues here and fairly simple, besides the hot starting problem..

Hot starting problem
    Your hot starting problem is not a wire problem, go down the list of options and you will mostlikely find it:
    K-Jetronic: Troubleshooting Symptoms
    (I had a faulty WUR Warm Up Regulater and fuel regulator)

1. Right now I can inset the key but it will not turn (most of the time) and especially the last several tries.
    I actually never make copied from the key especially if it is already a copy. When the last I take out the cylinder and go to a lock company to prevent key wear. They will make a new key based on the cylinder. Perhaps this is still an option and even could repair the inside if needed. It's always more cheap then a new ignition set.

2. When it did (last night) turn, the key didn't start the car. Totally dead. Power seems fine though in lights, horn, etc.
    Since your battery seems fine it's probably the starter's solenoid. Take out the started motor and put it on a test bench. I actually would let it rebuild.. should not be more then 50 USD. My guess this issue vanishes like snow in the sun once done.

No offence on the Porsche, but it can have the same issues since most old models have a Jetronic system as well.. and a starter motor :) Old stuff just needs TLC. When I bought my Mondi one would get crazy of all the issue it had. Look at her now. She is whinnying from all the TLC.

HTH
    Tijn

5. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Joy. I tapped the ignition with a screw driver and the key turned...and started!

I spoke to Vinnie at Elite and he said he should be able to fix the ignition and not to worry.

Something is definitely going on mechanically as turning the key feels harder than it should. I'll get it sorted one way or another.

Regarding my old Porsche. Agree but mine was exceptionally reliable and sorted. Five years of ownership never didn't start and never died. I never planned to sell her but when the odo rolled to 98k I changed my mind. The buyer got one awsome car, that's for sure. Oh well. Doesn't mean I regret the Ferrari. I love it. Just wish it was more like my Porsche was with regard to the availability of parts and overall quality. That being said, There's nothing like a Ferrari!

6. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    If I had a nickel for every time I've thought this very same thing...! I have an intermittent no-start issue that I've been dealing with for TWO YEARS. I've tried everything I can think of, starter, wiring, ground cable...nothing solves it except cold weather. In the cold it starts every single time. As soon as temps get above 65 it won't start. I've pretty much given up on the car at this point.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    'Regarding Porsche vs Ferrari'
    Having had a 996, 997, and a 986 Boxster, I can honestly say that these cars are very different from a Ferrari. Like they say, if you want a well built premium sports car that's reliable and won't break the bank, get a Porsche. Civil and feeling a bit sterile, German engineering lacks the hot passion you get from the Italian cars.

I have to give it to Ferrari for being a genius in convincing the world that his car is the best sports car in the world. The sexy & passion exudes from every angle and with that awesome V8/V12 note, the feeling when you are driving a Ferrari is worth all of the aggravation of ownership.

Its kinda like how Steve Jobs have convinced the world that everyone needs to have an IPHONE which can't even hold 2 hours of charge if I surf the web or watch some videos :) :) :)

I say O' bloody hell, why not have both cars!

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Agree completely... and I did own both at the same time. Ferrari fever and a 98k odometer swayed me to sell the Porsche. Image Unavailable, Please Login No regrets on the Ferrari. Just sentimental for the bullet proof Porsche engineering.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #9 Wade, Sep 24, 2014
  10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I went through everything as well including a replacement of the starter (upgraded hi-torq), replacing the fuse box fixed everything. :)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/284369-another-intermittent-no-start-thread.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142254393-post1.html

11. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I have a new fuse box, new electrical, new hi torq starter. I have new everything. The entire car was rebuilt about 4 years ago. I spent almost a year working and diagnosing, but I have too many other things to do to keep working on it. I drove the car a lot in late winter into late spring this year. The first day above 60 it quit starting and it hasn't run since. Alas, in 30 years it'll be a 'barn find' and someone else can deal with it. I'm done.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That sounds like a challenge to me, too bad your car is so far away. But then, your system isn't completely stock, so that's something else to consider.

13. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    The system's not stock, but it's extremely simple--like a 246 basically. Battery, switch, starter. That's really all there is to it. It's gotta be something temp sensitive. I figured starter solenoid but pulling the starter out and bench testing showed it was good. Same with the battery. I suppose it could be the switch but jeez it's such a PITA to remove.

It's really a shame, but I'm so beyond sick of it that I just quit bothering with it.

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    The electrical contacts part of the Mondial ignition switch comes directly from a 68-74 BMW 1600 or 2002; BMW part number 61312682120. I have no indication that they were changed during the entire Mondial production run. They are available from BMW parts houses for $100 plus or minus 10%.

15. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #15 Dizengoff, Sep 27, 2014
    On a whim I attempted to pull the ignition switch this afternoon. I'm afraid I've made a mess of things. I am under the impression that the switch itself disconnects from the blue sheathed harness housed inside the column. But how? There's no connector on the back, the wires appear to be molded inside the body.

Second, in the process of trying to pull the switch out of the column I managed to mangle the key tumbler pretty badly and snap off the two black wires.

16. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #16 Dizengoff, Sep 27, 2014
  17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #17 Wade, Sep 27, 2014
    Unfortunately, it comes as an assembly, wire bundle included. See the posts starting at #16.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/257129-how-do-i-remove-mondial-ignition-switch.html

However, dismantiling the assembly would require one to grind off these "rivets" in the photo below. Notice also that this is the switch portion of the assembly. The tumbler, dangling by its two black wires, is out of view.

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #19 Wade, Sep 27, 2014
    If it helps, I just found this on Ricambi's website:

Appears pricey but it's new and comes with new keys and door tumblers.

However, now there's an extended source for replacements (Mondials 8 through 3.2 and the 355).

20. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Yeah, I realize now that it's an attached harness. Mine appears to be threaded through the column in such a way that it can't be removed without dropping the column or simply cutting it.

Ferrari Parts : 162548 : 162548 EURO SWITCH IGN - FMS Car Parts

Here's another source that's about $250 less.

I'll sure be pissed if this doesn't fix the issue.

21. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #21 Dizengoff, Sep 27, 2014
    Here's the photo if the Ferrari part. It's cross referenced to the BMW part, and looks identical.

So I'm guessing that to replace my switch with this one I'll need to drill out those rivets? It seems from your post that you simply cleaned your switch with contact cleaner, am I mistaken?

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You're venturing beyond anything that I've seen for a Mondial by replacing the switch by itself. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

As I recall, just dielectric lube for mine since it wasn't the issue (verified through inspection and testing) for my intermittent no-crank problem. Just another part of the elimination process.

23. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    The problem is most likely the worn/melted guts of the ignition module, not the switch itself. Please,be fore you commit your car to the bowels of the service center, go to my posts on this subject in the 400 forum and the 308 forums. This problem is systemic, and has been discussed at great length by many owners. The probable reason for your key not turning, not starting, is the the faulty ignition module, not the expensive switch. I hope this is of some value to you. Thank you. Jq.