A doubt about Rims/Wheels | FerrariChat

A doubt about Rims/Wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by abignami, Sep 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    #1 abignami, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everybody, as explained in another thread I'm evaluating (and maybe buying) a Mondial 3.2 1988.
    The car comes with the loved/hated TRX wheels (to be honest I hate them: too rare and WAY TOO expensive, even for a Ferrari).

While mulling on a nice replacement with 16'' wheels (but here in Italy it could be a bureacracy hell) I was looking (for the zillion-teen time) at the pics I took and one thing caught my eye: on the rims there isn't the "Ferrari 180TR390" (rear) and "Ferrari 160TR390" (front) writing embossed/painted.

So, the question is: are those rims OEM? Are probably repainted? Are they a fake copy?

Do I have to unbolt one and look behind to see if there are more infos on the wheel?

Besides one will need repainting and I'm not much happy since around here a nice job is around 130 € for one rim.... at least I have to be sure that they are OEM.

I attach a pic of a rear rim.
    Thank you in advance.
    Alessandro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Alessandro, check out these 3 threads, TRX wheels/tires have been debated many many times in the Mondial Group.
    The photo you posted seems to be an OEM correct wheel for a 16" tire, not 390 metric but I could be wrong.
    If the size stamping is not in the front, it should be in the back.

Cheers

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/397583-metric-replacement-16-replica-wheels.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/397914-looking-spare-tire-rim-16-a.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/461429-mondial-delivered-yesterday-questions.html

3. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    Thank you Sourcoup, I read extensively those thread and looked around before asking ;)

I assure you that the car has TRX tires.... unfortunately :) and that's what arouse the doubt.

If I won't be able to be sure that those are OEM before I'll go to look at the car again in a couple of week then I think that I'll have to unbolt one wheel and check the back side... I hope not to have to do this because it would be embarassing :)

Thanks, Alessandro

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Sep 25, 2014
    One thing you can do is to look behind the front wheel tire, it should have a part# that identifies if its 16" or metric. Here's mine for reference but I have 16" not trx metrics.

Best

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Replica wheels should not have the original Part No on back especially not the brand name "Ferrari" :)

I believe there are no replica wheels on the new style Mondial wheels, but let them send a pic of the back side or have a look yourself. If one of the below numbers is on the back then it should be the OEM ones for TRX wheels.

Front Part No 127465
    Rear Part No 127457

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    no doubt these numbers will be on the back and they are stock

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Sep 25, 2014
    Based on the tread and sidewall design that is, without a doubt, a TRX tire. So the wheel would be OEM.

I agree, the replicas are based on the early design.

Wheels & Tyres for Ferrari Mondial - Superformance

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Sep 25, 2014
  9. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    Thank you all! I'll try to look behind them but it won't be easy...
    Thanks again for pics and references.

Alessandro