Just when you thought you knew everything about the Mondial | FerrariChat

Just when you thought you knew everything about the Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    The back and sides are not too bad, but the front is total puke.

3. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Definitely not my cup of Mondial Tea.

However—

Just to play Devil's Advocate, how is this effort much different than the idea that led to the P4/5? Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder (and the person funding this project). I have to admire people who have a dream and have the resources to go and make it happen. So in that regard, I think it's great that someone made their "one-off" a reality. And to have a scale model of this one-off is also very cool.

Why a Mondial t had to be sacrificed to make this car is another debate altogether.

4. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    I agree with Howie, and I am going to say a prayer tonight and thank God for putting Enzo Ferrari on earth.

5. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    That's ugly, but I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to look at it directly...

6. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I was sort of wishing that the flames were real

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi David, I would agree with you here, "Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder" as long as they are not BLIND! ;)

The P4/P5 is a beautiful car designed by the best design house in Italy, Pininfarina.
    This car by Franco Sbarro, well ... what can I say, speechless and utterly dismayed! Yes, there is a T screaming to get out of that body kit, I'm sure of it!

Here is the P4/P5 for comparison :)
    Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
  9. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I blew chunks when I saw that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I got no beer, it got no beauty.

Beauty is only skin deep. This abortion needs to be skinned.

I vote we start the engine, and put a chimp in the driver seat.

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
    DON'T SUGAR COAT IT DOC!

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's like they did the front end and the doors and then just lost interest -- the plain-ness of the rear quarters and the "slab" back-end just doesn't match the overall motiff of the front end. The Firebird did a better job of making the shapes/curves more the same at front and rear.

And that added rear spoiler on four little posts is/was not an improvement ;)

(Still pretty cool though -- like having a Drogo ;))

12. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    lol!

Tell me I'm wrong. I double dog dare you to climb in that thing, crank up the Justin Beeber, and cruise it down MLK blvd next Sat nite. :)

13. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    My mother suggested that I not say anything about this car...

2cam

14. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Just to clarify my earlier post, in case anyone may have thought I was disparaging the design of the p4/5, such was not my intention. It is an exceptional car done right. My point was it was a one off based on Jim's vision and he was able to make it reality. I find it to be far better looking than the Enzo, quite honestly.

This car, on the other hand is an example of how to do it wrong. But obviously, at least one person got the car they wanted. That's really all that mattered. To each his or her own.

15. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #15 gsfent, Sep 29, 2014
    I would have to say that is a pretty good analysis. Front and back look like 2 different designers.

Now, is it better or worse looking than the (committee designed) Aztec??LOL

Regards,
    Jerry

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hope I don't offend somebody, but that is painful - I understand the attempt to make something 'new' and 'original' - but if you're going to try and make your own 'supercar' - it can quickly become a downward spiral to tackiness... I would recommend kit car builders/mod folks - go in different directions - the cost and derivative nature of any 'supercar' undertaking makes it a very difficult proposition to pull off...

17. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    That car fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch.

That car is so ugly if I looked up the word in the dictionary, that's the pic that would show up.

That car is so ugly it's like Taco Bell. One look, and people run for the border.

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #18 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
  19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    ^ however design incorporates proportions better ...

that first posting is a Shriner's example of the above....better left to a pack of clowns.

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #20 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
    Another Ferrari (TR) gets slaughtered by Sbarro.

So, some history on this fellow:
    Back in 1971 the Italian automotive enthusiast Franco Sbarro set up his Swiss based custom car fabrication shop. From the beginning Sbarro was wrenching on exotic race cars like Ford’s GT-40 as well as the famous Ferrari P3 /P4 and since then his portfolio has expanded to include a custom Bugatti Royale. Being no stranger to high end high performance vehicles, when Franco went looking for the foundation of his next speed inspired creation for the Essen Motor Show it is no wonder that he went Italian. The Lista Office is a sports coupe based on the Ferrari Testarossa , and is powered by one of Maranello’s 12 cylinder boxer engines sending 450 HP to the rear wheels.

2009 Sbarro Lista Office (LO)
    The LO as is it also known features a complete restyling that takes the Ferrari’s wedge shaped profile, sharp edges and multitude of vents and rounds out the body before smoothing out the accent lines. Just like the latest Alcador GTB that is also on display, Sbarro has incorporated his very late model TVR like vertically stacking round headlamps. Somewhere underneath that canopy style roof and bulging fenders is a Testarossa, however Franco Sbarro has managed to take the iconic shape that we are all familiar with from Miami Vice and turns it into an unrecognizable out of this world four wheel creation.

21. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    OMFG. What has been seen - cannot be unseen. I want to Clorox my eyes now. If I were wealthy, I'd buy those abortions just so I could burn them to the ground, then crush the remnants under a D8 Cat, then melt it down into beer cans.

22. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Agreed on the looks... it's as if there were two designers, one got to do the front, the other got to do the back. They never spoke with one another.

That said, the front does have a bit of a steampunk thing going on... I'd like it better if there was a coal-fired boiler under there.

When I was a teenager, (and even as an adult), I'd eagerly anticipate each years' copy of the Auto Club of Italy's book: "World Cars". Sbarro would always be in there with something strange, and sometimes beautiful.

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    And I wouldn't even drink the beer out of these cans!