3.2 Brake Lights inop? | FerrariChat

3.2 Brake Lights inop?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Faber, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi - 87 3.2 Cab - great drive yday w/ a friend who wanted to drive a Mondial - All went as expected, however later in the pm I noticed the brake lights warning on console lit up and brake lights incl rear deck were not functioning - Interior pair stop lights (not deck light) do come on when headlamps are activated - brakes seem to work fine - replaced one faulty license plate light w/ no effect on brake lights. Then last pm I noted "lights" console light also light up tho low/high headlamps, flasher, signal lights function fine and exterior pair rear lights activate in reverse… searched around and can't see any similar posts/fixes - I'm thinking it's because I didn't go all in on that original 3.2 key fob on ebay a few weeks ago, but I'm interested in what ya'll think. Thanks in advance.

2. abignami

abignami Karting

May 20, 2010
    Milano, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Bignami
    Did you check the fuse? Could it be a faulty brake light switch (that that it's near the brake pedal)?

Regards,
    Alessandro

3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear the news. I hope that you're able to get the issue quickly and easily sorted. Hopefully it wasn't due to my driving. I tried to stay on the gas WAY more than the brakes - honest. :)

2cam

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Tom,

Which brake light is illuminated on the dash? Your car doesn't have abs so that's not causing it like mine did. Check the state of the brake switch, brake pads in calipers, and fuse for looseness or corrosion/burn marks.

best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    LOL…I loved the drive - not a big deal and it's really cuz I didn't buy that key fob.

6. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks for the insights folks - the lights coming on are on the console "strip" - I'll seek out the switch in the pics - Thanks!

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    I did check the fuse - looks ok.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
    Ah, I don't have one of those... Maybe someone with the 'Johnson Command & Control Lighting System' can jump in.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that console light.

Best

9. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #9 Faber, Sep 29, 2014
  10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Tom, definitely check the brake pedal switch as Mike recommended. With the car running, press firmly on the pedal all the way a couple of times. Or try actuating it by hand. This may reset or unstick the switch.

Happened to me a couple of times on my 87 (non abs). I think the switch on mine was stuck because my between the seats console warning light went out immediately after stepping on the pedal a few times. It seems ok now.

As an aside, I also have a seemingly false slow down light that comes on periodically. I have a brand new hyper flow cat and the light sometimes comes on from a cold start. It does go out so its not on long. Two mechanics told me I shouldn't worry. Temps ok, no overheating ever. Likely a bad thermocouple and or Ecu. I'll have to narrow the culprit down one of these days.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Sep 29, 2014
    I was getting a flickering, then the Slow down light stayed on 2 years ago. I pin pointed it to my thermocouple wire that goes into the catalytic converter. To check this, do the following:

1) Jack up the rear
    2) Unscrew and remove the net grill protecting the cat/muffler
    3) Identify the thermocouple wire unit on the cat, I do not think the problem is related to the O2 sensor
    4) Examine the thermocouple unit, unscrew it and clean it (looks like a probe sensor thermometer)
    5) Trace that wire upwards into the engine bay, it connects to the ecu, looking for snags along the way
    6) On mine, the sharp metal edge of the cat itself was rubbing & eating into the thermocouple wire insulation, therefore causing a false flicker when the cat got hot and sometimes it just stayed on.
    7) I got some thermo tape and wrapped the compromised area of the wire (go 4 rounds with the tape)
    8) No Slow down light since I fixed it.

It does sound like you have a similar issue, so try these steps first and see if it helps you.

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks djs308 & Soucorp! I'll try the brake switch method today - Regarding Thermocouple: I traced it and found a kink/wear 20" from the ECU connection - taped it from your earlier post - cleaned the probe, wrapped the "kink" and close to cat and eventually rewired the entire "ECU plate" in rear - Car seems to run lots smoother - Slow Down light functions normally for about 30-60min then comes on - I have a spare from GT Car Parts - next step is to replace old thermo couple - Thanks again!

13. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #13 LouB747, Sep 30, 2014
    I've had that center console brake light come on before. Ended up being a faulty brake switch (located under the front bonnet). It's a white plastic part. I believe the Testarossa part is less than half the price. But it may be missing 2 of the leads for the center console circuit, in which case you'll get the center console light to come on even though alls well.

Hope this helps,

Lou

14. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
  15. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #15 Faber, Sep 30, 2014
    Pulled the switch out, replaced & noted this from the url above: "Brake microswitches do go bad and should be check by unplugging the connector and carefully shorting the two terminals, then check illumination of the brake lights." How do you "carefully short the 2 terminals" to test the switch? And which ones?

16. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #16 LouB747, Sep 30, 2014
    I ended up with the Testarossa switch thinking they were the same at the time. Obviously they are not....as I had 2 left over wires!

Anyways, the brake lights work fine like this. But the brake light on the console remained on. So I shorted the 2 wires with a fuse. Yeah, I used what was available! So now the light on the console is off.....until I step on the brakes. Then it's on. I figure better to have the light on sometime, rather that all the time. I rarely drive at night, so I have never changed it. It's been like this for years. Anyways, with this setup you should no console brake light until you press the brakes, then you get the light.

Hope this helps and isn't confusing. I think I might be confused now.

All the best,

Lou

17. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    LOL - Thanks very much Lou! I ordered one from GT Parts this pm - damn thing better work..(-* Thanks again!

18. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    The exact same problem just developed on my recently-acquired 3.2! Bad luck, except I feel fortunate that this thread popped up! Diagnosing...

19. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Check me on this: since the brake light warning light comes on whenever (and only when) I press the brake pedal, it seems to me that means whatever switch is at the pedal is working just fine. The brakes are stopping the car very well, and I see no issue there. So I'm deducing that it's probably that switch on the fire wall or something between there and the brake lights.

Yes?

To short the system and check the light function, do I depress the brake pedal and connect the two larger leads coming off that switch?

20. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Never mind. Got it. Bad switch. Ordering a new one.

21. docvb

docvb Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Bad switch. The larger terminals on the sides are the actual brake lights, the smaller are for the "johnson control center". There is an Alfa Romero switch--exact match--but only $40, not $200. Was not sure of which years, probably safe to say '85 or '86. Found on Ebay,

Alfa Romeo brake light switch spider eraly gtv6? rare nos 60515008 4-prong , quick google with the numbers gave me:

Original Equipment (OE) Numbers

ALFA ROMEO 113306517700
    ALFA ROMEO 60515008
    FERRARI 119439
    FIAT 5954516
    FIAT 5964877
    FIAT 82416970
    INNOCENTI 323850107
    MASERATI 323850107
    SEAT se023952510a

Look around. Good luck.

22. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi - Connected new brake switch, and no more "stop light" on console, however brake/deck lights turn on when power on - When I clicked/depressed switch the lights go out - All lights function in reverse(?). Believe I've connected correctly - Any insights? Thanks,

23. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Reverse the 2 wires? I'd try that first.

24. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi Lou & thanks - previously reversed both sets - no change - I did order the external lights relay (Multi Purpose Relay ‑ Bosch 0332015006) in case that's going south - recall when I turn on headlamps I also get the "external lights" light up on the console - I no longer get the "stop lights" warning on console w/ new brake switch (altho when I disconnected new switch I got no "stop light" warning either which makes me wonder). Also removed cover inside car & inspected hand brake switch on top - read that might be related but I have a separate "parking brake" light on the dash & all appears/functions normal there - I also wrote GT Parts regarding switch in case they have ideas. Quite a thing.

25. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Update - Spoke w/ GT Parts - good guys - new Brake Switch works as designed - plunger is depressed (NOT released beneath "tab") when brake is released to close the circuit - I'm gonna remove seat and explore this tab function closer - live n learn.