Filter dryer replacement for the "T" | FerrariChat

Filter dryer replacement for the "T"

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porphy, Oct 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #1 porphy, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone know a replacement filter dryer for the Mondial T? I am also referring to either a replacement for FREON 12 OR 134A. The Ferrari tax on the FREON 12 filter-dryer from suppliers is steep. About $250 for a part that should be $30, but I am also interested in a 134a conversion and I think this takes a different type of filter dryer? Are there differences in the A/C components in the 348 vs Mondial T? Thanks for any help or comments.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Acheyfive

Acheyfive Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Check out the parts interchange on the 348 section , there is a dryer replacement from Rock Auto (Was around $9) might even be available on amazon

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Hi Randy,

There was an Fchatter with a 328, took his dryer down to Napa, they found a compatible dryer for $20. NAPA Part #208625. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/A-C-Filter-Dryer/_/R-TEM208625_0475165299

Also, from what I have read about R12 to R134a conversion, try to keep it R12.

You will have to change the hose fittings and all the seals in the system before putting in the R134. R134 will leak out of an R12 system without these changes.
    The oils are not compatible between the two.

It is SOP to remove and drain the compressor of old oil, add new R134 compatible oil, change the drier and change the fittings so no one who might service it later makes a mistake and contaminates the system.

You cannot simply vacuum it out and put in 134 along with a new dryer. It is a bigger molecule and an old R12 system's condenser is really not big enough to get enough of it in. If you do convert - ALL the old oil needs to be removed which means pulling and draining the compressor, etc.

It will never cool as well as it did with R12. I have been told by many mechanics that the system runs at different temps with 134 and the condensor and other components were not designed for this. Stay with R12.

If you are DIY, find a shop that can get R12 cans or get a letter from a certified AC technician so you can buy R12 online/eBay.
    p.s. Craigslist has a bunch for sale: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=freon&sort=rel

Best,
    Mike

4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks much Mike. I did not know that R12 was still available. Bit pricey. I can also go with the ES-12 which is a hydrocarbon which can use the R12 system. But I really think I need a filter dryer replacement first. I may have found something on NAPA but I need to see it. I will take the info on the 348 parts exchange site first.

5. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you have the old one out match it up at a shop that specializes in auto AC. You know it is not a Ferrari only part.

I just talked to my mechanic about this, he is telling that R12 is still available, very limited amounts and very expensive, the equivalent of over $100 per can!!!! If you plan on keeping the car (don't we all?), bite the bullet and do the rest of the switch while you have it apart.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I have had good luck with the hydrocarbon refrigerant ES-12. I think I'll leave the system as is and use the ES-12 which requires no changes within the R12 system. But I will still need a filter dryer. I saw the stuff on Craig's list for $225 for four cans and an oil charge. Expensive but not deadly. Thanks for the comments Jerry

7. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    When I had my engine-out belt service earlier this year, I had Ferrari convert the a/c system to their current standard. I believe it was only a matter of changing a valve and the coolant, and the cost was very reasonable. The air blows ice cold, much colder than R12.

Eventually R12 will be impossible to find, so IMO you should do the conversion now.

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks Jonathan. Did they convert to 134a? Do you have a detailed bill that states what they did?

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #9 godabitibi, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Randy, conversion to R-134a is easy. It is an old myth that everything needs to be changed. Replace your dryer, put some PAG oïl and proper adapter fitting and fill with R-134 at 80% capacity. Yes the R-134 molécules are smaller and leak more easily but the old R-12 oïl in the system should seal properly to avoid leaks.
    Both my 308 and TR are on R-134 and cold.

Don't use hydrocarbons. Most that are sold on shelf have leak sealant in them and that is NO good if you ever need to work on it again. You will then pay the bill. You can use leak dye detector but NO leak sealant.

The next A/C gas to be introduced may possibly be CO2. Yes carbon monoxyde!

10. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Sorry, the bill did not detail what a/c parts were installed.

11. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks Claude, I was not aware that it was that easy. I am aware of the oil difference. I have used hydrocarbons before and I was assured there were no leak sealers in it. However, I like the 134a availability and PAG oil. Can I use the same filter dryer or do I need a special filter dryer for the 134a?

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #12 godabitibi, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    With my 308 I used a replacement dryer from a recent model Hyundai which was built for R-134. But as far as I know there is no need for a specific dryer. All they do is accumulating the liquids to avoid them to go to the compressor.

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Hey Claude! According to Four Seasons, and a number of auto parts places, their Filter drier 33363 is also the perfect replacement for the original Ferrari with the minor exception that the accessory mounting hole is on the opposite side and the Schrader valve is not built-in like the Ferrari part no 62433100. The main exception is the price, about $390 including the pressure switch and $250 without. I am paying $18 for the filter drier from Amazon and $6 for 5 Schrader valves that directly fit the accessory port of the filter drier. So I found the Anchor Schrader valve, part number 100-0029 which fits. I pick up all the parts tomorrow and will report if there are surprises. I followed the indications in the 348 parts exchange section. It seems that all of the A/C parts are the same with the 348 with the exception of the control switches which I think are completely different. Hope you are well. How is the weather?

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes Randy I'm doing well! Weather is not bad at all for now. We've seen snowflakes but nothing on the ground yet. Cars are stored for winter.

Good luck with your A/C. If you suffer too much from the heat just move up north! ;-)

15. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #15 porphy, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the Schrader valve that fits directly the Four Seasons Filter drier model 33363. They were $6 for the five at my local A/C supplier. Further instructions on the back side.

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Fixed for you!!! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Update on the Four Seasons Filter Drier. It is the exact replica of the Ferrari part number 62433100 with the exception of the built-in Schrader valve in the Ferrari part. The nipple for the mounting of the Schrader valve is exactly the same and the orientation is the same. So it looks like we are good for the Filter Drier replacement. Now if we could just find the Ford Econoline part number (thanks Jerry) for the expansion valve we would be even better.

18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't have the PN. But in further discussions with my mech, he suggested once we have everything apart, we might want to try to match the expansion valve with one that has a little bigger opening to adjust for the higher high side pressures of R134. That will be a little guesswork, but when it gets pulled, we will have the part in hand to try to match up with a bigger orifice.

We also talked about a bigger condenser to help siphon off the extra heat generated by the higher high side pressure/temps. Ideally, either a newer design of the same size or a thicker one using the standard location to utilize the fan for city driving, assuming there is room for a thicker unit.

Regards,
    Jerry

19. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I imagine a slightly larger condenser might be possible but need to research sources. The expansion valve is not out yet and I may be delayed on that removal. I'll update later.