My 2,200 mile journey for my first Ferrari begins Tomorrow! | FerrariChat

My 2,200 mile journey for my first Ferrari begins Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 19633500GT, Oct 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #1 19633500GT, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With pleasure, I will begin the trek from Connecticut to Alabama tomorrow to pick up my first Ferrari. She is a 1982 Mondial 8, with 23,655 original miles. I agreed to purchase a enclosed 24ft car hauler as well, so, at 0500 tomorrow morning, my best friend flies into JFK, where I'll meet him in the Cummins, and begin our trip down south to pick up my little gem ;)

I'm very excited, I turn 29 in December, but have a little baby girl, my first, due in November, so, as I explained to my wife, it's a "push" gift to myself (pretty sure guys shouldn't get those lol). Anyway, I will photograph the important segments, and have some fantastic cars to inspect on the way for future purchases (hopefully :)

Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Why not drive her home? Get to know your car. Your buddy can follow in the truck.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Are taking advantage of a woman.

4. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It has been driven only 500 miles in the past 6 years, I want to get it home and have a full "check up" done before any serious miles are put on her. If I wasn't picking up the car hauler, I would've been more open to pre-prepping the Mondi to ensure the 1,100 miles home would be carefree.

5. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Who me?!?! :) just a little pre Daddy gift! ( to myself lol) trust me, she just got a remodeled bathroom! All is fair!

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Figured out. Women are different. A bathroom is not even a down payment on this , 'trade off'. Just wait until that baby is born. Boy are you in trouble

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Congrats! Looks like a great car!

8. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #8 19633500GT, Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks Ron, I'm quite pleased!

I was hoping some of you owners who have lived with these cars and know their strengths and flaws could maybe look over the last service documents I'll upload, from July 2010, and since she's only been driven 300 or so miles since that service. What would be your honest opinions on plan of attack? Have it completely gone through, ensure belts are ok, then enjoy? Or do I need to be more investigative since she's sat?

Any help is good help!

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Oct 7, 2014
    Welcome Ken, first congratulations on your expecting baby GIRL and your Mondial purchase, great looking car!

The receipts look pretty comprehensive given it was all done as stated by a competent mechanic. I question everything, just because it says so doesn't mean it is. At face value, seems like you do not have much to worry about. Sitting for 4 years with only 300 miles or so after a major service will not hurt the car. The oil, brake fluid, and coolant should be changed. Also check the AC system, may need R12 refill but its Fall/Winter now so not a big deal on AC.

If I were you, at a minimum, I would find a good Ferrari/Italian car mechanic that comes with recommendations and a good track record. Pay for a thorough inspection after the fact, its for your piece of mind. Ask the mechanic to check rubber hose conditions and fuel/brake lines. Also if you still have TRX tires, check the rubber for dry rot.

Ferrari recommends 3 years or 30k miles on the cambelts, IMHO, they last much longer, like 7 years if done right and used reasonably. As far as what else, well drive it and you will find out because if somethings going to go bad, it will.

Best

10. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Life begins at 29.

11. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    Very good looking car - coupes are beautiful. Have a good local mechanic check it out change fluids and start driving it. Something will fail so get AAA towing coverage. Once it is sorted out drive it and love it. They are great cars.

12. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    My 85 QV also sat for a decade or so without many miles on it and I had it transported back and put into the hands of a private fcar mechanic. I had no chance to really test it out before taking it on a 3000 mile trip and there were many small things that cropped up but nothing major that kept me from completing the trip. So I think a good going over and then some long regional trips will show up any flaws...big or little. However, I would certainly consider replacing the TRX tires. You'll find lots of threads on that on fchat. The obvious reason is for old tires decomposing. But it you have to replace the TRXs anyway, it is the same cost to put on new rims and then modern tires. You will benefit from hugely increased ride comfort and control.

Mostly I tip my hat to you for finding a Mondial at a young age when you have many years to enjoy it. I've had other cars to get to this point that I loved. But none that gave me the pure driving enjoyment as much as my Mondial.

13. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Nice. I finished my private pilot and bought into a plane when my wife was pregnant with our first. The 308 followed. And the Mondial when she had our second.

I think there's something about the impending birth of a child that kicks in a caveman "buy it now" hormone in the male brain. You know your arguments for self-indulgent, semi-dangerous toys are about to get drowned out by baby needs.

Good man. Enjoy. And rest assured you'll be able to stuff the little tyke in the back before long. My daughter loves our 308, and both kids love going for rides in the Mondial. It sounds like a rationalization to the wives, but it truly is a source of joy for you AND the little ones.

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I think I'd drive it until the weather turns. Drive it to check out mechanics in your area that are recommended. Try to put about 1000 miles on it then take it in for a belt service. If it drives good for that trial period, just belts and bearings and then enjoy it. If it has numerous breakdowns in that fun first 1000 miles, have a shop go through it more extensively. Try to put the miles on this fall so you can get it to a shop when they are slower, this winter.

15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Loving all of the great comments and help. Ownership is going to be fun, I can tell right now!

First update. Woke up at 2:51am yesterday, drove to JFK, picked up my best friend who flew in from California. We then drove until 7:30pm, which landed us in Kentucky. Stopped over at a really nice guys house to inspect his '70 Ghibli coupe, which he bought new!!!! Photographed, inspected, then absolutely CRASHED at the hotel (ok had a cocktail or two ;) since I drove that entire first leg.

This morning we head 7 hours south to Selma, AL and plan to stay at my friends in Valley Grande, with Mondial pickup happening tomorrow, after I take her on a small test drive.

No sleep for the motivated!

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Who needs sleep when you have adrenaline :D

17. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #17 19633500GT, Oct 9, 2014
  18. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey good luck, hope it's all going well.

19. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    hey 19633500GT, great first post, mentioning your push gift, but... I had a similar moment last fall with my wife and I having our first child. Her friends were all about what her push gift was going to be. My wife was very cool and well-on-board with "we are currently picking my husbands pull gift". Even a year later since the birth, my wife and I laugh all the time with the idea of a pull gift, and classic car in the garage. good luck with labor and delivery and help with the pulling when the doc and nurse get tired!

20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Have a great trip, Ken! Enjoy in good health and keep us posted! Enjoying every minute!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #21 19633500GT, Oct 9, 2014
    Update*

Made it to Selma Alabama at 5:15 this evening, went directly to the airplane hanger, hooked up the truck to the trailer, had my friend take the trailer back to my other friends house we are staying at. Fired up the Mondial, drove her 14 glorious miles to my friends house where she is parked, snug in his garage for tonight. Tomorrow we will load her into the trailer, drive an hour away to look at some vintage V12 Ferrari engines, hopefully buy them, then head back to CT.

I'll be taking the 8 to Auto Turismo in New Milford CT. Steve Mastroaini is my mechanics and knows these cars well. She drove great, but I'd like a thorough "go thru" before any hard miles mount up. Feeling great right now, first gate shift was fantastic

22. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Awesome! I know you probably couldn't sleep last night. 😄

BTW...what the hell are the push and pull gifts you guys talk about? Is this some new trend of gift buying during/after pregnancy?

23. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Leeber. That cracked me up. We've gone about it the same way, she's very practical, and I love vintage cars. Though I did buy her a brand new Polaris 550 Indy last January, then BAM, three weeks later we're pregnant and expecting :0
    Sled sold a few weeks ago, but I kept my cars...

24. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thanks Bill! Yes, you are correct about the gifts :) it's apparently a new trend, which we are "semi" following since she didn't want a gift, so I indulged in a 2+2 :)

25. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #25 Rapalyea, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    I recommend you do whatever you need to do to decarbon those valves. One of the guys posted what happened when his valves separated and ruined the entire engine. I do not have the clip. The valves looked carboned up like some sort of flat head 1956 Plymouth. [I have seen such valves].

BMWs of the era were cleaned with crushed walnuts. I suspect there are chemical ways to do the same thing. And read my own recommendation above titled "Another boring report ... " The carbon accumulates from sedate driving. And your specimen sounds exactly that. If you never take it over 5,000 rpms probably never separate anyway.

PS - The gated shifter is cosmetic. The car shifts exactly the same if you remove the gate.