Classic Car Rescue - Ferrari Mondial Video | FerrariChat

Classic Car Rescue - Ferrari Mondial Video

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Oct 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    link says private video??

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sorry about that! fixed!

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thanks a lot Paul, I had been searching for that video for ever! Great post!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Enjoyed the film clip.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Glad you guys liked the episode. Some thoughts:
    The Mondial 8 and 400 are often the whipping boys of the Ferrari lineup. I liken it to saying they are the worst Rolex or cheapest Picasso. Magazines and pundits often have to fill their quota of 'negative' reviews to counter balance their count of 'glowing' reviews to give a sense of journalistic integrity. This is further perpetuated by other so called 'experts' simply parroting what they read or heard about the car.

As you can see in the episode, once the 8 was given a fair shake-not only did the appraiser have a grin as wide as the Grand Canyon; the guy who was making fun of it the whole episode himself couldn't deny he "fell in love with it."

7. ChicagoFerrari

ChicagoFerrari Karting

Dec 19, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And even the worst Rolex and cheapest Picasso are still Rolex & Picasso....

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

exactly....:)

9. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I still think and feel we'll have the last laugh and in a decade or two at most, they'll have to eat up their own words. Those guys are creating diversions, nothing more nothing less. Mere speculators. But reality will catch up eventually, regardless of how much people are buried in denial. Mondials are great cars. Dinos were also dubbed worthless at one point and look at them now! And we have to analyse the Mondial, specially the 8, as a whole, that is, as a product of a given era. Sure, it wasn't as striking at the time as a LaFerrari is now, but it was never meant to be anyway. What were other high end brands doing at the time? Surely not something so far ahead of its time that would be enough for people to start namecalling the Mondial for being a slug. And the later Mondial convertibles are quite desirable. Exquisite and one of a kind. Lets wait and see!

For the time being, it's quite nice to see people caring for the Mondial, namely in classic car shows on TV! Hope we see more of the same in the future!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    WELL SAID NUNO!! WELL SAID!!!

I completely agree...I see the Mondial is a fine wine that will only appreciate from this point on ---- I seriously would buy another if I had the space, that's how much I love these cars!

11. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think you should, Paul! I have never met someone more knowledgeable, enthusiastic and worthy of another beautiful Mondial than yourself! My daily driver, an Alfa Romeo, has been relegated to the outside to make room for my Mondial! We have to be creative when we're lacking space, such as you and I! We have to pursue our dreams in this life!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That is very kind of you to say Nuno!!! I really appreciate it!! If I ever get more room - I shall do it!! especially at these fire sale prices here in the US!

Cheers

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This was a great episode, but if it was Wheeler Dealers, the Tall Man would have sorted everything out for a lot less, at least break-even. I didn't understand why they had to paint the car twice, how stupid and wasteful. But yes, its a TV show, drama and suspense is good for the tele.

Project Cost Breakdown:

$8,400BP car $13,538.70USD
    $6,600BP parts $10,637.55USD
    $2,800BP labor $4,512.90USD
    $17,800BP brk even $28,689.15USD
    $16,800BP evaluation $27,077.40USD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

loss of $1,000BP or $1,611.75USD

Cheers

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I can't stand to watch that show. More irriatating than good. I do love wheeler dealer.

15. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Enjoyed the video! Thank Paul!!!

16. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I agree. I detest the manufactured drama so prevalent in these types of shows these days.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #17 soucorp, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    If you haven't seen the Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 Wheeler Dealers build, this is a great episode. Since this aired, the GT4 has gone up dramatically in value.
    I use to see these cars in sub $20k a few years ago, now its almost doubled in price at least in the States. I am telling you guys, the Mondial is next on the up trend...

Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 - Video Dailymotion

Best,
    Mike

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    And the Top Gear episode where they purchased 3 exotics within a price range. One of them was the Dino and it was reported that the driver liked it so much that he kept it or purchased it from the show. I'd only call that a rumor, but I really enjoyed that show as well.

Top Gear is definately fabricated as well but not with the faux anger. If I wanted to watch the "drama" shows I could just find an irrational street person and have them yell at me for an hour. About as pleasant for me.

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    TOP GEAR quote of the Day: "You Evil Man, that's BRILLIANT !"

Budget Supercars Part 1 - Top Gear - BBC
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCff8nCxBU]Budget Supercars Part 1 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

Budget Supercars Part 2 - Top Gear - BBC
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5cPCYuA9o[/ame]

Budget Supercars part 3 - Top Gear - BBC
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmAY4FQ5L4E]Budget Supercars part 3 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

Budget Supercars Part 4 - Top Gear - BBC
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOc2LdGvItM]Budget Supercars Part 4 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hear ya!

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks Mike, I'm going to watch that again right now. :)

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Thanks Mike!!! These are great!!!

23. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I agree. A rising tide floats all boats! If the prices for Enzo era cars keep rising we'll do okay.

24. Brooklands

Brooklands Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks for the link, it was fun to watch. The best part was the tour of that large Ferrari parts warehouse. Three floors of F Car parts...amazing!! Anyone know the name of that vast store of parts?

25. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's the UK Ferrari Concessionaires, Maranello in Egham, nr London.

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/

Interesting post-programme update to this car. It was made available as a prize after the show (I think you had to text in for £1 and entered into a raffle effectively). The winner had it up for a few weeks as a private advert at something north of £20k. Then it came up on eBay with a slightly less than concours description given all the work that had been done. It eventually sold for about £5k under the TV valuation.

1981 FERRARI MONDIAL 3.0 LITRE V8 BLUE METALLIC, CREAM LEATHER | eBay