Cleansing the main switch | FerrariChat

Cleansing the main switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Oct 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I had some technical issues with the horn / lights / windscreen wipers in the past months and replaced about everything but the main switch. Unfortunately, replacing the fusebox did not solve these issues, windscreen wipers were still activated when pressing the horn button...

Then, I started disassembling the steering wheel with the special tool to remove the central nut and had a look at the main switch. There were no damaged cables, no other cracks visible.

But the thing I noticed was that there was a residue around all copper connecting points on the main switch. This must have been copper residue and may explain why there were a lot of shorts in the main switch.

I cleansed all connection points and re-assembled the steering wheel. Tested the wipers - lights - horn and all problems were solved!

For the moment, all bad connection problems are gone (touching wood).

I'll post some pics to show you guys where the residue was.

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi Stekke

My wiperstalk has a strange "0" position. I think the joint is broken and badly fixed. You know perhaps if it's used on other cars? I looked around and I think it's also used in a Lancia beta & Delta (first series), but I'm not sure....

I'm not fond of fiddling with it now, because it could break anytime.

The residu you've found is a combination of dust collected over the years, grease to protect the contacts and a little bit of copper. If the amount of copper is too much, you're 'eating' up the contacts.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey, I have a spare main switch, so if you need a part, send me a PM.

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #4 stekkefun4, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #5 theunissenguido, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey, Guido! The main switch on the pic is my reserve one ;-) , not the one I have repaired.