Battery woes | FerrariChat

Battery woes

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fcarhappy, Oct 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Quick questions guys : 1) How in the world do you guys jump start your Mondials -- I see the battery but it is nearly impossible too get jumper cables on this thing --- Ferrari designed some ridiculous plastic cowl that covers your direct vertical access to the battery -- couple this with the posts give you virtually nothing to claw onto; 2) if I get it started (which right now seems impossible will it make a run (9 miles) to my local Ferrari dealer for a replacement battery -- or are there enough electronics on it that it won't run on the voltage created by the alternator alone??

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #2 paulchua, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Oct 14, 2014

You don't have to buy a battery from the Ferrari dealer so they can charge you an arm and a leg.
    There are plenty alternatives that will work just fine.

I have no issues connecting a gator clip to my battery poles for charging or jumping. Does yours have a cover over it? You can remove that cover if you do.

See my thread on how to replace the battery on a Mondial.

Best
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/398263-mondial-car-battery-replacement.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    OK got it started but now shop is closed so question 2 remains if I jump it again tomorrow will it run off the alternator for 9 miles??? I called a Mechanic that works on old Mercedes and he said "I don 't know that model well enough but sometimes low voltage can cause a fire from (the rest I really didn't get -- something like spark misfire or some such) --- any thoughts guys???

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 soucorp, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Fcarhappy, you should think about subscribing and properly filling out your profile.
    We don't even know what Mondial you have to help you?

If you can get your car running, I think you will be fine driving 9 miles, these cars are not like modern high tech cars that monitor battery voltage in order for the engine to keep running. The T might have more complex electronics than the QV/3.2, but that would be my guess that it will be fine on a 3.2. I think as long as you have a closed circuit thru the low voltage battery, the alternator should produce enough power to keep the engine running, just don't turn on the lights or radio. Why not put a volt meter on the battery to see how much voltage you have?

Best

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #6 hank sound, Oct 14, 2014
    Hi Paul,

And then there's this approach - - go to your favorite auto parts supermart, and pick up the shortest battery cable with an end like mine in the pic. Mounted to + of your battery, and "reaching" upwards (with a protective cap or whatever on the end), your battery will always be easy to reach.

Cheers,

Hank

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #7 jgoodman, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    My Mondial died on the way to game 5 of the 2009 World Series that Monday night. I was trying to see the Phillies win over the Yankees and I had never been to any baseball playoff game ever. So I told my wife we were going! There might not ever be another opportunity to see our team, the Phillies, in the World Series during our lifetimes.

I was running late and my sister who was at the stadium already, told me to go grab dinner and come a little later. So my wife and I stopped at Lee's Hoagie House in Bala Cynwyd PA, grabbed subs, and then she and I went back out to the Mondial, and it wouldn't start. The headlights were extremely dim and the dash was barely lit and I knew my battery was bad. I was parked very slightly up hill. I told my wife I was going to try to pop the clutch while rolling backwards down the hill with the gear shifter in reverse and try to pop start the car! She looked at me like I was nuts, but that's what I did, and it started! While we were close to the stadium, our collective wisdom told us not to get stuck down there in a Ferrari during the World Series. So we drove home, with no headlights when there was no surrounding traffic to try to save the battery. We made it home! And watched the last 2 innings on TV to see the Phils beat the Yankees that night 8-6! They didn't win the World Series that year, but I was impressed with kick starting the Mondial in reverse and then driving 100 miles back home after having basically dinner in Philly!

moysiuan likes this.
  8. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #8 YELO T, Oct 14, 2014
  9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #9 hank sound, Oct 14, 2014
    Many times, it's not about having the equipment needed to charge or jump your battery while you're trying to leave that car/friends gathering that you've just attended. The issue I'm addressing, is the difficulty (with some battery configurations) getting to (reach) the battery posts.

This is a very simple solution. :)

I have a plastic cap - - but if you wrap electrical tape around the exposed top end, you're good to go !!

Cheers,

Hank

10. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks to all---Hank that's a great idea. To Soucorp: you're absolutely right on the subscription and profile thing - I'll get on it ASAP

11. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    (4 years later).
    Which I had done what "Valeo Hank" did. By temporarily removing the trickle charger, sliding the battery to the left, and a miracle of feeling for the clamp grab without being able to see it, I used a jumpbox to start the 89 t in *pouring rain* this morning. I am sure if the battery wasn't dead, i would have def shorted myself across the terminals. Why didn't Ferrari switch the sides of the posts?!? The neg terminal is pretty accessible.