Mondial 3.2 and emission control equipment | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 and emission control equipment

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Jeka, Oct 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I am looking at a 1988 Mondial 3.2 coupe with 50k miles. It's a Swiss version and has all the emission control equipment including a catalytic converter. I think it's probably the same as the US version. My question is if this is a real disadvantage regarding reliability and maintenance costs? The engine is really running well although it seems like the check engine light isn't working. Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Looking for a 3.2 Mondial again?

3. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #3 Jeka, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have a 1988 Swiss model, the cat and muffler is the same as US, and other emissions items are mostly the same. One major difference though is that the Bosch fuel injection is different than all other Mondials, being K Jetronic. If you need to buy new injectors and seals, they are special order items and very expensive, the system runs at a higher pressure is the main technical difference. But other than that, the Swiss model is pretty much the same, albeit there might have been some further distinction in other model years. The Swiss model does have more sound deadening insulation, unique side signal marker lamps, and rear fog lamps. Swiss cars generally are well maintained, and the climate is easy on the interiors (ie. no sun damage or shrink of leather).

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There's a big difference in HP between the Swiss and Euro Mondials. But, for most drives, it's probably unnoticeable.

From another thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/461527-euro-328-vs-us-328-a.html

6. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    The climate was indeed very easy on the interior, it is still like new :) Good news is that the injectors are replaced 2 years ago and the Eurospares price ($48,-) was actually lower than the Eurospares prices for the standard 3.2 injectors ($57,-). Other parts are cheaper as well, for example the metering device (Swiss: $1300,- , US/Europe: $2500,-). I did have a 1987 Euro Mondial 3.2 before the 1988 Swiss 3.2 and I have to say I cannot feel the power difference.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Good to know the Swiss injectors and seals are available at a reasonable price. Having maintained my Mondial to a high standard for ten years, this car has been more reliable than my daily drivers, indeed I daily drive the Mondial in the summer, it idles perfectly in gridlock city traffic, never overheats, etc. These are well designed cars.