Learn To Lie | FerrariChat

Learn To Lie

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Wine Run

I drove over to my local vinyard today for two things. Of course a nice bottle of light red sort of like a Pinot Noire. [Worth the $30 per bottle]. But also to raid their decorative vegetable garden. For months I have asked if I could do so and have probably plundered the better part of $100 in boutique peppers, okra, and tomatos. This time I did not need to ask because the owner said it might frost tonight and I should get everything still available. It was quite a lot.

This is a tourist destination from Atlanta and the parking lot generaly sports Porches, Lexus, Mercedes and Kias. The Mondial is always a curioustiy. In the shop I was not sure I had the cash [credit card always at the ready] we got to talking tires. I mentioned I had worn out my first set in 5,000 miles and the guys at the counter sort of gasped and speculated on whether a single tire for a Ferrari would be as little as $450.

I made the spectacular mistake of telling them my entire set cost less then $500. Which is entirely true. But if you own a Ferrari people have expectations. It is impolitic to deflate the these things which are very entertaining to people. OK. To me its my car. I get in it, turn the key and drive away. To other people it is a legend. Most of them have never seen a Ferrari and I really need to get better at this. And no one even noticed I have not washed it in three months of dusty driving. I made up for the fauz paus with three 7,000 rpm shifts going the four miles home.

But I got over it. A Turano casa Turano robusto cigar helped.

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I agree. People always ask "how fast" and "how much" I learned to say "Fast as hell" and "sold new for $110,000 in 1992.:" That's what they want to hear, not "Cost about the same as a mini van and almost as quick"

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Good Post

Its hard to explain my Ferrari is half about smoke and mirrors. I always believe I am going faster then I am and cornering much faster then I am. But I always interject. The Ferrari WILL do maximum cornering with absolute neutrality, and it will not kill you like a Porche if you make a mistake.
    In my opinion my Ferrari is the absolute epitome of the citizen drivers car. Both engine drivabilty and chasis drivability. There is no citizen Prorche driver who can even hope to even survive a serious contest with me.

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #4 Rapalyea, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    However, anyone who has even glimpsed the Porche trailing arm rear suspension can see it is a TRACK suspension. Specifically designed for a KNOWN corner speed. On the street it is a catastrophe waiting to happen to anyone who enters a decreasing radius curve too fast. Porche made compromises to help this thing. Specifically it installed 100 pounds of lead weight into the front bumper (?) to help reduce over steer.

This was never even a question with Ferrari.

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    See my previous posts. Porche is complicit in this mini catastrophe. I have read 50% of all turbo Porches have crashed in such circumstances.

Me? I ran my prepped Malibu Maxx at road Atlanta Autocross. My instructor asked me to slow down to let the Lotuses to clear the track. I ran a 911 and a Caymen on the same track. They were trucks. Don't ask me. Ask my instuctor when I cranked in right maximum lock and went straight ahead. "They are Trucks".

What a frign mess. Just don't believe any of the hype. If you want REAL handling buy American. Or, of course, Ferrari.

6. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Better yet...adjust for inflation. In "todays" dollars my Mondial equals closer to $200k.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I fragged the clutch plate and still have less the $40K invested after 7,000 miles. And, believe it or not, I suspect my car can still out run a Honda Odessy. I would not bet a pink slip on it.

However. If I were to ask an Odessy driver to swap pink slips? All bets are off. There simply is NOTHING that trumps a Frerrari.

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I can now honestly say... Over 100,000.00. ;)

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    People want to marvel, the facts only disappoint once found out.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Ted: Ouch!

DavidJ

11. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    What's in the title!

Randy

12. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM

What currency.. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Chateau Elan???

To me, any Nicaraguan makes things better.

14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

My first oil service on my 355 at FOA was $210.

I was standing beside my car at Lenox Mall one day when a guy walked up and said to his son . . . "Son, the oil change on that car would buy you a Toyota." I turned to him and said, "Naah, I spent just over $200 on my last oil change." He looked at me like I was from Mars, and said, "No way, pal." I just shrugged.

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    USD.

Cost of car and a service that went terribly bad and another to correct the damage and then some.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Obligatory:

It's not a Porch, it's a Pontiac.

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I don't feel the need to feed misconceptions. A fellow on a flight recently had heard engines had to be removed for oil changes. I told him I've done it in my driveway.

But I will have to keep up with current trends, I was thinking my car was worth $20K. Hemmings sports and exotic just showed in auction results a car just like mine but red 1987 3.2 Cab that sold for $27,500 and they say average selling price is $33,800. And they call this car "neglected"

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +1

Plus being honest is 1) being honest and 2) more relatable to the person you're likely talking to. It can also breakdown stereotypes. I used to get crap for having a Ferrari at the office until I'd politely remind them my car cost less than their new BMW (of course service cost is the other way around).

Besides if someone decides to dig in and do some research, they'll quickly learn you were full of **** anyway.

Just be honest. There's more to a Ferrari than the current market value.

19. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    The post was that someone didn't know how to answer questions about how much he paid. He would answer the original sticker price. No lie there. 100k in 1990 isn't a 100k today. No lie to say they were 200k new in today's dollars. Hell, 911's are 100k today. 911's were half the price of these cars when they were new. My old 79 928 was 38k new. That was a HUGE amount of money in the 70's!

20. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    The mondial does quite well on the track. Excellent balance, gets around corners like a scared rabbit. Also, has great stability at speed. Can you even imagine doing 135 in a Honda Odyssey?

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
  22. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014