qv to 3.2 | FerrariChat

qv to 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    good day. just made a deal tonight on a 3.2 to replace my 3.0 qv. My engine runs well but has some annoying leaks. has 77,000 kilometers. the 3.2 has approx. 23,000 miles and a little more pep. I figured if I was going to do an engine out why not juice it up a little. I am going to use Nicks ignition when I do the swap. Has anyone ever done this or heard of it being done? Supposed to be pretty much plug and play.thanks

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Not that I'm in the market, but is your silver car going to be sold?

And congrats on the new car. You are upgrading your ferrari the right way. Same model only a bit newer with fewer miles. Speaks to your affection for this car. :)

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    sorry I wrote this in the wrong way.I am keeping the car and swaping a 3.2 for the 3.0. supposed to be an easy swap and was wondering if anyone else had done it.thanks

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I hope you are going to turn the 3.0 into a coffee table :D That is what I'd like to do.

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    actually I was hoping you would buy the 3.0 so I could recoup some of my cost. just kidding. I think I may fill the cylinders with oil, spray it down with cosmoline and put it in the barn. I have found that you can not have too many spare parts. I'll keep you posted

6. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Be a good convert I would think.
    Certainly be a little more crisp on the power side.

I have just bought a Porsche 911 wide body that has had the engine upgraded from 3.0L to the 89 3.2L with getrag box and its only 40 odd HP difference but geez what a different car to drive.

Totally different torque and HP curves

I will follow your thread when you kick it off.

This was the original reason I supercharged my 84QV coz while it wasnt slow it wasnt quite qik enouigh either and buying a 3.2L engine here in Australia is around a 12-15 thousand purchase and then i gotta change it all out.

The cost of labor is negative as I am a mechanic but time is money.

The blower kit set me back around 8 grand all up with paypal fees and shipping etc...and has fixed the negative issues of the car totally for me for about half the price and now I really do have a fairly unique car in a "blown" Mondial.
    Not too many can say that

Peter

7. itswhatido

itswhatido Rookie

Feb 20, 2013
    East Texas
    Full Name:
    itswhatido
    Sub'd. Can't offer any experience, but certainly long on encouragement. Hope all goes well. Interested in following along.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I guess it fits right in Fred. Not sure if anyone did this.. I haven't seen it however on this side of the planet a Mondi becomes unsellable :( so people here are not ver keen in doing so. An F gets already a name if it has a swapped transmission. Totally ridiculess of course.. I guess a lot of people here like certification. :) I would keep the original engine btw. Perhaps even rebuild it for later use. anyway that would be me :)

Can wait to see some pics!

I did see Mondials with other non Mondial engines..

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #9 srephwed, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am ashamed of myself for not following up on this. Engine has been in for 2 years now. The only difference between QV and 3.2 was banjo fitting for oil cooler line is a larger diameter on the 3.2. I simply drilled the hose end and it worked fine. The only other thing was the pulley for the alternator uses a much more substantial belt which is a welcome addition. I always hated running an 80 plus amp alternator with a rubber band. My engine came with the crank pulley. I am 60 years old so if I hurt the value by not having an original engine I really don't care. When I bought this car it was my intention to totally wear it out and then start over. Like they say if you want to look at a Ferrari buy a poster. This is the old
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #10 srephwed, Dec 25, 2016
  11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Just curious did you notice a big difference seat of the pants wise between the 2 motors?

12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Low RPM's sort of but overall no. The QV was a euro with a little extra compression and HP so it may have cancelled everything out.

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    So was the net result minimal or zero?

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Hard to feel a 10% difference in HP, which is about what you there.
    My first Mondial was a Euro Qv, then a 3.2. So in a addition to the randomness of just 2 cars the speed felt the same. The 3.2 just felt better but then less miles, more sorted.

The Euro Qv headers and exhaust give better sound than the usa version if you have those.

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #15 Alden, Dec 31, 2016
    Fred,
    Great job on the engine swap!

You have to let me send you one of my cavallino center oil caps for your engine.

That rusty center oil cap looks like a wart on a pretty girls nose, with a hair growing out of it, lol!
    Alden

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    We have a QV and a 3.2, the QV got faster just by loosing weight. QV 3.0 is our favourite because it has the performance and the older cooler looks....well we like it anyway :)

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  18. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
  19. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie