Which F-car Doesn't Need an Engine-Out Major? | FerrariChat

Which F-car Doesn't Need an Engine-Out Major?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Burch1, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    With my upcoming Mondi major this winter it got me thinking about a future Ferrari and which ones are:
    A) reliable (I know a relative term for a Ferrari)
    B) does not need an engine-out major
    C) reasonably affordable to buy
    D) is somewhat modern
    The last one will probably mean choosing from:
    F355
    F430
    What do you think?
    Cheers,
    Greg

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #2 hank sound, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Hi Greg,

You do know, that a comprehensive major service performed on a 3.2 compared to the same (like for like) service on a t, the cost difference is about $1,500. That difference is due to the "engine out" labor. Granted, the clutch assembly for a t, is a bit more expensive.

If the t didn't have the amazing upgrades that it has, maybe it would be wise to question the major service price difference and its validity. Alas, that is not the case.

With all due respect and love for my 3.2 Mondial brothers and sisters, I will simply say that using the major service cost difference as the sole basis for decision making, is worthy of much further investigation.

Cheers,

Hank

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Matchbox And Hot Wheels.

4. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    .. a bit hard to drive without getting run over though

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Greg,

The only cars on your list that do not need an engine-out major are 360 and 430.

But an engine out major every "5" years is actually a good thing for the easy access to everything that you need to be checking and reworking anyway...

The 360 gets to keep the engine in for a belt change with access through the rear cabin, but has a much more expensive clutch repair bill because of (access / time).

The 430 because of chains instead of belts has the best of everything on maint. costs but you make up for that on the front end cost of the car.

Hope this helps.

I own a 355 and am not worried about the engine out requirements. A 348 and Testarossa engine out major are more expensive. So choose what you like and drive a lot to make the service a lower cost per mile... :)

Robb

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was recently chatting with a well-known Ferrari restorer (who had a 250 GTO in his shop); he said that you don't change the cambelts without doing a "major" i.e. the camshafts come out as well. For that, removing the engine would be a necessity, even on a 3.2.

It's worth noting that he isn't concerned about Ferrari's guidance for 3 yr/36,000 belt changes (well, except for the 348 and Mondial t, maybe).

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The cams came out of my 3.2 without pulling the engine on my first service. Just about everything can be done. A person just can't always see what they are doing :D My engine is out now for my second service. I wanted to pull the engine this time as it gives great access and is much easier to clean and work on. Now if I could just free up some time. I think a number of tech with the 3.2 feel it's a good idea to pull the engine every other or every third service.

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Robb,
    How do you like the F355?
    I've always loved the looks of it (especially the side inlets).
    Did you experience the sticky buttons that everyone complains about?
    How is the legroom for tall drivers?
    Thanks,
    Greg

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Greg,

My first Ferrari was a 328 gts. Loved it. Still miss it. Sold it for my 355 gtb for better a/c, gearbox, more modern design and performance, and more room.

I'm 6 feet 210. I fit fine. It is a great car. Most buy with sticky's already fixed. Mine was not taken care of yet. I am fixing those now. It's just a line item for you to consider on the price. About 2-3k to take care of the whole car. Some parts always need to be stripped and recoated. Some not. No biggie.

PF really penned a beautiful car. Strong but feminine. The shape though has been to the gym unlike the 360. So I love it. Beautiful lines. It is already going up in value. So get a good one soon.

Robb

11. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    A,B,C,D - check,check,check,check. 550 Maranello.

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #12 jgoodman, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree PV.

My first major was engine out. They found a broken suspension upper arm weld that may not have been found otherwise. My most recent major was engine in, and boy is my Mondial running just super. No issues using her as a DD. This was last night after work. I love this car! Just so much fun!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I should have said, "removing the engine would be a necessity for me" ;)

14. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I bought a 430 as I see no value in engine out service and didn't really want to deal with timing belts either. With the 430 you do have to change the accessory belts but that is way cheaper and easier. With that said, I think the 355 is one of the best looking Ferrari's ever too bad it wasn't as easy to own as a 430. My $0.02.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I can buy three F355 with the money for a 430. So, I can drive one while the other two are in the shop. Can you say that with your only one F430?

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    But the maintenance costs with three 355s will be about 10X the maintenance of the 430? At least one of the three will require ugly expenses. Nothing wrong with a newer higher performance experience. The OP wanted to know about cars that didn't need the engine out.

17. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I agree. The 3 355's quote is crazy.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    First, you can't tell if that was a joke?
    Second, it is only crazy until you actually do own 3 Ferraris. Then, it is … your life.

19. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #19 Burch1, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The votes are clearly going towards the F355 or F430.
    What about the 360? Is it a unloved Ferrari?
    Here is a pic of the 3 all together.
    Tough choices!
    Cheers,
    Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Just like the 355 is the ultimate refinement of the 348, the 430 is the same to the 360.

You can argue looks if you don't like the harder lines of the 430 vs the softer 360 shape, but the rest of the categories favor the newer car. Most would take the 430. But budget has a way of tipping the scales.

Robb

21. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I thought you were serious, as I've heard statements like that before. Again, I love 355 cars but probably would never own one. If I owned 3 Ferraris, I'd get 3 different models, all Rosso Corsa or Rosso Scuderia, of course.

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not surprisingly, they're easier to buy than sell. Recently, I was offered a "barn find" GT4 that, pricewise, was [almost] too good to pass up.