Top Gear's Review of the Mondial | FerrariChat

Top Gear's Review of the Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Guys - you know I disagree with this one - especially since they say that the F40 is 'worse' then the Mondial...?!

But we all know Clarkson is full of facetious hyperbole to make 'interesting' TV

Mondial segment starts at the 12:25 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1NqjzClEGc&feature=youtu.be

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Now Blocked??

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    yup :(

This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

4. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #4 jgoodman, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why is it necessary for you Paul to post this thread? And the link which doesn't even work? Ferrari didn't get the Mondial perfectly right at its inception, but the car evolved into a great car over its lifespan. This thread is not even necessary to post, as it only serves to scare those thinking about joining the tifosi owners, away from the Mondial. And that would be a shame. Because the Mondial is a Ferrari and a really enjoyable one at that. If you want to start threads being negative, there are lots of other Ferrari's for you to own. Have you hung out in the 348, 355, Testarossa, 308gt4, California threads lately, just to name a few? Those owners are constantly being negative. Please look at the Mondial as a glass half full car. I just posted in a thread saying I like to drive it more than the Countach. Why can't owners act like they are going to the prom with the prom queen instead of acting like they never went to the prom.

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee! There is no better 80's Ferrari for one to enjoy than this! Period.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm pretty sure that it's a repost...

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That's a connaisseur's answer! :)

I love Clarkson's reviews, and appreaciate him for being a Ferrari fan. But I've always been baffled as to why he smeered the Testarossa (wonderful car, love to get my hands on one - calling him a dog) and the Mondial (as Jay so correctly stated, one of the all time greats - calling him a dog's dinner). He also took random swings at the 400 ("ugly in every way" according to him) and the 308 GT4 (not a Ferrari). They are no such thing, designwise or handlingwise.

Journalists tend to have a hidden agenda behind the comedy associated with the Top Gear show, specially when they carry so much weight in the public opinion like Clarkson, and the truth suffers as a consequence. Us Mondial owners have the duty and the added difficulty of setting the record straight. Double added difficulty: overcoming public opinion and opinion within the Ferrari owners' community.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jay! Thanks for your comments - As a huge enthusiast of the Mondial myself - believe me when I say I whole-heartedly agree with you in regards to the virtue of the car. I however try to collect everything (good as well as the bad) and post. I love the car - and I disagree with the Clarkson - that being said - I still will want to see everything that has been said about the car for my 'total' experience. I have a site devoted to showcasing why I love this car.

Keep in mind that the review was for the '8' - as many have said before me - much of the issues (low on power, reliability, black bumpers) was addressed in subsequent models.

Sorry about the bad link - was a copyright issue - I'll move it on to my personal site.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I had a long chat with Jeremy C a while back after he gave the Esprit a less than favourable review. It was in the 90s when Ferrari virtually gave him a 355, which at the time he never shut up about. His only reason for not liking the Lotus was that it was made of ''Plastic''
    I pointed out that one mans ''plastic'' is another mans ''composite'' and that we'd moved out of the Stoneage into the Ironage a long time ago, and that now we were in the Spaceage the age of plastics like it or not.
    I also pointed out that all the most high performance Ferraris were made of ''plastic'' ie. F40, 288GTO, 308gtb fiberglass etc and that prehaps the greatest car of all time the Mclaren F1 was also plastic. Well I have to tell you that for once JC was lost for words, his only retort was, well Ferreris should be made of metel and not like plastic toys.
    JC to be fair is just an entertainer and not much of a driver, he says things just for effect we all know that, but sometimes it hurts us senitive souls who are loyal to our cars.
    I seem to remember my friend taking some pics of the encounter I'll see if I can find them.
    Regards Bell.

Hi MvT, long time no see..

9. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Oh well.....some people love the cars; others hate them. I really don't care either way. I have always bought cars for me...not for others. I am the total opposite of a poseur. In fact, I try to stay under the radar. I don't want people looking at me or the car.

I took my blue Mondial for a long drive yesterday. It was a beautiful day and the temperature was just right for the windows to be down. The engine sang it's beautiful song and made all the right noises. I love the way the car drives, smells, sounds and looks. Just driving the car relaxes me. In fact, I took a nap after I came home. The car makes me happy...and that's all I can ask of it.

Some may have prettier Ferrari's, some may have faster Ferrari's and some may have more expensive Ferrari's. But, I consider myself fortunate to have a Ferrari. When the time comes that I am too old to drive, or cars have been banned, or whatever may come that keeps me from driving, I will be able to say, "Yes, I ENJOYED a Ferrari." In the end, the enjoyment I get from the car is all that matters to me. Other's opinions of the car do not bother me in the least.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said Bill and Bell Bloke,

I hope no umbrage is taken with my post (I am finding a place I can host it today - and put a new link) - I also know that many of you know how much I love the Mondial and disagree with the review. I do have a mission to gather everything I can about these awesome cars (good as well as the bad) and make it available to everyone.

I shall now say the standard disclaimer:
    "The opinions and views of my articles/videos do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of myself!"

Again, keep in mind that they did not pick it as the worse car in the world - in fact if there is any reason one should take their critique with a HUGE grain of salt - they said the F40 is 'worse' car then the Mondial 8!

They eventually gave the crown to a Lexus SC430

Be well my friends.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    How anyone pays serious attention to anything TG says is beyond me.
    They became self parody years ago.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, that restores some credibility in my book. What an ungainly turd.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One thing I have always been curious about. Why does anyone care what another single individual on planet Earth care about the car you drive? Are we so in need of the approval of others that we cannot enjoy our car without everyone stopping to stare when we are driving down the street whishing they were us? Have we become so emotionally crippled we can't handle everyone not loving our car?

Get a little back bone and love what you love and screw everyone else.

14. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very well said!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Actually, I only screw what I love, but point is well made.

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I've always rather liked having an underdog, the misunderstood....BUT, only if it's actually any good. Well having been lucky enough to drive absolutely anything you can think of, I can honestly say the Mondial is really rather bloody good. A point confirmed on Sunday. when I hit diesel coming hard out of a corner. The car remained very controllable even in the unplanned slide on oil, with a little flick of opposite lock all was well, not many cars would be that forgiving in the same situation.
    Very, very impressive!
    Mine is a 1985 QV.

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While I agree I also appreciate those poseurs who buy new Ferraris and unload them when they're no longer chic. If not for them what would we frugal owners have to buy?

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If I'm remembering the clip correctly they drove one that was unloved, unrestored, and leaking gas badly.

You know the same crew would take a roadtrip in one and pronounce it the most fun they ever had.

Perhaps oddly, I've never had to defend the Mondial. Never heard a single bad thing said about it. Even some folks with what would normally be much more desirable cars have shown great appreciation at car gatherings.

19. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Clarkson makes me want a Morris Marina.

20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I agree 110%. I evaluated my purchase for three years decided on the Mondial T and now, regardless of minor problems which we all have, I am very happy with my choice.

21. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I like the stig.

22. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    This:

And This:

You guys nailed it!
    DavidJ

23. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    my radio has never worked. My wife asked if I was going to repair it or get another. Neither I said. Why would you drown out a symphony orchestra? If it says Ferrari it is Ferrari!!! Why ask for anything else.

24. 82Black8

82Black8 Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Graham, Washington
    Full Name:
    Bob Fay
    My Dad used to remind me: Opinions are like a##h#les; everyone's got one... and they all stink. I drive cars I love, wear sweatshirts coz I like 'em, and eat fast food coz it's easy, and my Harley is a reflection of what I think looks cool, not the madding crowd.
    Drive the car you bought coz you loved it. End of story.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #25 paulchua, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Hello Friends

I've re-uploaded this episode. Mondial starts around the 12:20 Minute mark.

The password is: ferrari

Here is the link:
    https://vimeo.com/110263408

Just a few comments in context of this thread.
    1) I am *not* bashing the Mondial - many of you here know that it goes without saying that I'm a huge advocate for the Mondial
    2) I like to post *all* things about the Mondial (even things I disagree with)
    3) Top Gear is 'infotainment' - that said - a lot of the stuff that Clarkson says is rubbish - but it often makes for good TV.
    4) If feelings are still hurt anytime Clarkson dogs the Mondial - I just remember this gem that he disclosed to Pierce Morgan and chuckle to myself where he admits he's basically neutered.
    Source: Lynn Barber interview: Ex-Mirror editor Piers Morgan | Media | The Observer

My thoughts on the Mondial 8 are positive. Mainly for these reasons:
    1) Relatively easy to wrench on - fix any funky stuff/upgrade
    2) The soundtrack of the V8 is spine tingling
    3) Affordable
    4) Exceedingly Rare

My only negative thoughts which is entirely subjective is I'm not a big fan of the black bumpers and steering wheel- both of which but that can *easily* be remedied (new steering wheel/paint)

Enjoy my friends!