How tough is the Mondial drive train? | FerrariChat

How tough is the Mondial drive train?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Nov 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have had my Mondial going on three years. I don't want to say I baby it but my buddy has been giving me a hard time forever. "why no burnouts" I always run it hard part of the time every trip out but have been afraid that burnouts tend to leave parts on the ground. Of course I have to pay for the tires but would I be safe with some occasional smoke? Also I have the bigger 360 tires and rims on the rear. thanks for your opinion

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I forgot the disclaimer. " No one entering an opinion on Ferrari chat about burnouts in a Mondial will be held responsible for the possible damage of said burnout. Sh#t happens.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I can't say that I have ever had the desire to due a burnout in my car.
    The last time I did a burnout was when I was a teenager in my Trans Am which seemed appropriate due to age and car.
    Somehow doing a burnout in a Ferrari, regardless if it is a Mondial or not seems inappropriate. Ferrari's aren't about burnouts to me.
    Just my opinion.
    - Ron

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    go to youtube and type Jeremy Clarkson, I have to have a Ferrari. watch it till the end and you will see what I mean

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here's a burn out I did with my 84QV, we have similar gear box and I say they are pretty bullet proof: [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uyN-C6Z0XrQ[/ame]

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #7 Bell Bloke, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Thats a nice little bit of wheelspin get away in the clip there, which is kond of cool given the right occasion BUT a full on burn out? mmm, in a Ferrari I think is going to look a bit moronic, plus you are sitting with your foot on the brakes to lock the front wheels so that's going to make the drivetrain work harder you might cook your clutch and flywheel like this...

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lc5YNheqWQ

or worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqFtr1ZGPek

8. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You are a brave man is all I can say to attempting burnouts.

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Can't understand why one would dream of performing burnouts on a regular basis with a Ferrari, but of course it's bound to put stress on parts which are old and/or sensible to wear and tear, as it would with any other car (made worse with a Mondial due to age and repair costs).

Don't know how tough the drivetrain is. Question is: why unnecessarily risk it?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I say, buy yourself a car to do burnouts in to fulfill your desire. It will likely be cheaper than when something breaks in your Ferrari.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Just my opinion. Muscle cars are for burn outs. Ferraris have a road racing heritage and aren't built for that. They don't have large displacement for massive low end power. A Ferrari can do a burn out but I've never had the desire, it's not what it's good at. I do it in my 62 Fairlane with the larger V8 and race cam and 5 speed. That is fun. But even with that car I don't make a point of doing it, sometimes I just loose traction and will roll with it. :D

I have in a U turn gotten on the throttle and drifted the rear of my Mondial around but that's about as much as I do.

There is the factor that I see a burn out as more abuse of any car and not a designed use and I want 100K out of my clutch.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I guess we have to define burn out. I'd call this wheel slippage and IMO you didn't slip the clutch here so no harm no foul. Just my opinion. I've had a bit of squeak from the rear wheels before but can't remember last time I did it. I don't think they are fragile.

I guess the question is what the OPs friend wants and I doubt anything he does will satisfy his "friend" Next it will be smokey donuts until he blows a tire.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Adding to Dirk's comments...

The thing to remember is, for the best burnouts with the least amount of risk/damage, a motor with lots of low-end torque is needed. Common for muscle cars and most hot rods but something the flat plane crank V8s isn't known for (just doesn't have it, by comparison).

Also, the old-school run-of-mill Ford 302 is a 5 liter (compared to 3.0) and has at least 100 more lb-ft of torque than the Ferrari V8 of the early/mid 80s.

14. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Burnouts????? In a Ferrari????
    I am all for using the car hard but these are classic stylish machines which should be respected, used and cherished. A burnout can be performed on something a bit more 'rubbish'.

15. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    +1
    A bit of wheel spin perhaps. Even that I think I didn't do when the road was dry.

your drivetrain can handle it for sure if nothing is wrong with it... your cutch and or flywheel.. different story :)

A full burnout.. it simply doesn't fit her image. Elegant and fast, a bit naught with a short wheelspin showing her power suit her well.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    If supermodels can sledgehammer 458 Italias, then I see nothing wrong with a Mondial doing burnouts.

Not my cup of tea, but who the hell am I to say otherwise? His car - do with it what you wish and enjoy!!!

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #18 MvT, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    I don't fancy this add at all actually. I'm not going to say anything about it and merely hope it is CGI composed. even then.. what do we teach our next generation. hmm I wouldn't say anything about it actually..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XNtStsG_g]Forgiato Has A Model Wreck A Ferrari To Prove Their Wheels Are Unbreakable! -Video - YouTube[/ame]

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Not to mention drivetrain problems you may pick up while performing burnouts on a vintage Ferrari, risking a very expensive repair bill, there's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMf1IGPVQUs

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I am sorry I don't know how to link youtube but go there and type "Jeremy Clarkson I have to have a Ferrari" I feel sure most have seen it but if you have not watch it till the end. Quite entertaining.

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YZzGaprtA

22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not only that but for about 5 grand you could completely replace the entire drive train in an early 5.0 stang, how much would that cost in any Ferrari?