Mondial T or 348? | FerrariChat

Mondial T or 348?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by carwhisperer, Nov 8, 2014.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carwhisperer

carwhisperer Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I had my heart set on a 348 but now I'm starting to consider a Mondial. It seems like they are cheaper and have the same drive train as a 348. Is this roughly correct? Also, isn't the curb weight about the same? And, why not have a couple of back seats?

I would get a convertible, as I would with a 348. I don't think either a 348 or Mondial look very good with stock wheels but 360 wheels look good I think.

What are the pros and cons?
    Brian in Sacramento

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, the motor is pretty much the same. Actually, the 348 has a Mondial t motor.

Otherwise, worlds apart.

For starters:

One is a short wheelbased no nonsense sports car while the other is a luxury GT

One weights 400 lbs more than the other

One has electronic adjustable dampers (shocks) while the other does not

BTW, the are loads of threads on this comparative topic, have you looked at any of those? ;)

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've used my Mondial for cross country touring. It was great, loaded up rear trunk, some stuff in front and the rear seat was folded down and had luggage. I'm a huge fan of my Mondial because I love the functionality. I wouldn't get a Mondial only for the price. You need the car you want for the way you will use it. The Mondial is the car for me for my lifestyle. A 348 wouldn't fit the bill, but I think they look fantastic.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Different cars for different purposes imho.

The 348 is more powerful and is a 2 seater sports car. An evolution of the Mondial.

The Mondial is a very practical and fun 4 seater. More of an all-rounder.

Don't know if you're buying it as an investment or to drive and enjoy. It's down to personal taste and what you intend to achieve with the car. Two models don't quite cut it for me in the Ferrari world, on a personal note: the 348 and the 360. I'd recommend you test drive both and buy whichever you fall in love with (after the mandatory PPI).

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Only in purchasing it my friend. Maintaining it will be generating the same bills. 348 vs Mondial T that is.

If you like the 348 better I would save some more unless you want a 4 seater. 348 is on my list but a 400 as well, however I simply do not have the space for it living in a city.

6. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wikipedia has the 89-92 Mondial Cabriolet at 3236 lbs and a 348 spyder at 3020 pounds. A significant difference for sure. Where do you get the 400 pound difference figures?

I didn't think adjustable dampers were available until the F355.

Glad you put shocks in parentheses, I thought you were talking about the chimney flue.

Haha I'm just kidding you big lug.

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Mondial t - power steering
    348 - mini testarossa

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Brian,

I am in Folsom. Whatever you end up choosing use Ben Salerno at Salerno Motorsports for service. You may a
    want to give his shop a call as he sells cars too. He may have some leads on a solid mondial or 348.

Good luck on making your decision.

9. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    All Mondial T's have adjustable shocks.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    My source for info is straight from the Owner's Manuals.

All Ferraris

Lots of great info within, especially when comparing the various models/variants.

And from experts here on FerrariChat (includes peer review ;) )

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/57971-mondial-education.html

11. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Does the owner's manual specify curb weight or gross vehicle weight? I didn't bother to look but I don't think that is common for owner's manuals to do that. But if you're right, I nominate you to correct the Wikipedia pages.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You're messin' with me, yes?

13. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I sat in a 348 and HATED the seats. Mondial is way more comfortable.

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #14 hank sound, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Say you're driving down the highway - and those cement segment bumps, you know the ones that go 'badump-badump-badump', are beginning to get on your nerves. Well, if you're in a 348, you'll just have to deal with it. But if you happen to be driving a "T", just flip that lovely rocker switch to "soft", and instantly, you'll have 'nothing' to deal with. :) As for "power assisted steering", it hides until you absolutely wish you had it - - - and, lo and behold, there it is.

These features that are totally "T", I'm guessing many 348 owners wish Maranello would have shared with them as well. But of course, many would disagree with me, saying they like the lack of "assists". I believe that if we are looking at two different models, we need to do all the proper research and then - - - DRIVE BOTH !! :):)

Cheers,

Hank

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I destroy 348's on track... ;)

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I forgot about that. I sat in the CF seats of the SS 348 and they were butt pinchers, then I considered a set of standard seats from the 348 and I also found them to be too tight for comfortable use on my 6 foot tall 200lb frame. They are probably more designed for holding one tightly in place. I like my Mondial seats, like said, much more comfortable. I've done 800 mile days in my Mondial and never once had a comfort issue associated with the seat.

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    +1 and that for an almost 27 year old car!

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Maranello did share them.....In the 355.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great post! At the end of the day - the Mondial's greatest weaknesses are also its greatest strengths (that's what parroting journalists never undestood).

In a nutshell.

If you want non-compromising performance - 348
    If you want a 'usable' car with space for 2 kids or petite adults - Mondial

I liken the choice very similar if you would get a Boxer/Cayman vs Panamera

Or probably more apt - 458 vs California T

The choice was very easy for me since I have two young kids - the joy I have when I can motor with the whole family in tow is truly priceless....

Now if I was single or my wife and I were empty nesters......