Buying a Mondial T Cab | FerrariChat

Buying a Mondial T Cab

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SFchallenge, Nov 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hi fellas, I've always wanted the Mondial Cab but somehow never had the fate & went on to other Ferraris. I was just looking for a "cheap" cabrio & then saw that my dealer had the 3.4 Cab so was wondering how you guys rate it.

My first Ferrari was a 348 & it was simply dreadful. It has all the troubles of that model & so bad that I thought a ghost lived in it :D

Anyway, the Mondial Cab is 8K miles away from me so I'll be buying based on trust & photos. Now, I'd like to take it for summer holidays in the continent, drive down Italy, do the Riviera plus some shopping along the way so the rear seats are quite useful plus the kids if they come along.

Can some kind souls please tell me what are the horrors to expect or should I look for the QV? Is the power steering too light & lack of feel? How about those adaptive dampers, are they prone to trouble?

Thanks in advance!

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I recently asked a career tech why the 348 has such a terrible reputation when the mondial t does not. He shrugged and I asked if maybe the 348 crowd was just a bunch of whiners while Mondial owners just take care of their cars. :D kidding, kidding.

They have the same drive train. Should have the same issues.

You probably need to consider the way you are buying cars. I wouldn't buy a lexus sight unseen from 8000 miles away. And certainly not a 20 year old exotic car. There are plenty of these cars around. Why not find the right one instead of the one right now?

You didn't ask, but I'm still a fan of a car that has been driven a few thousand miles per year for a few years. It shows reliability and that any problem that comes up can likely be fixed and the car will be good again as opposed to knowing nothing and a car that could have every problem lurking under that pretty skin.

To my original comment, I don't hear much complaint about the mondial t like you do about the 348, but they should be the same. Dunno.

3. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    There's a lot of good information and opinions on the Mondial T here on Fchat. Since you have already owned a few vintage Ferraris, you know that the car's history and maintenance is very important if you want a reliable driver. Any 20 year old car will probably need some work, so expect to sort out the car for the first few months of ownership.

As for the power steering, it is really power assist. It kicks in when parking and traveling at low speed, then shuts off and let's you feel the road at moderate to high speed. I've had no trouble with the push button adjustable suspension; it's one of the most useful features and I wish my other modern cars had it.

My advice is to buy the best example you can find, not the cheapest one. My ownership experience has been a delight; zero issues, zero breakdowns and 100% fun!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    PV Dirk and Yelo T are spot on. If you had problems in the 348 - expect the same for the Mondial.

I had a whole host of problems that needed to be sorted before it was in truly "drivable" condition.

The worst experiences I had was with the fuse box and electricals - the previous owner(s) did all sorts of unholy Frankenstein hack jobs on the fuse box and wires - I eventually had to replace/upgrade the fuse box and yank out the whole wiring (not cheap) - $5K

I had to replace a few hoses, replace the alternator, replace the water pump, replace the timing belt, fix cracked exhaust manifold - another 5K

Few other doo-dads and minor issues - 2-3K

It purrs like a kitten now - but it was a commitment and realize that the only Mondial you should expect to be trouble free is the one that is fully reconditioned (and the person your buying it from) has full proof/documentation.

I was very blessed (literally) that I got mine from the Catholic Church (donation car) so - I was able to write off a lot of the already low 'donation price' since the car was basically not fully operational (by today's standards) - I knew I wasn't getting a show car, so I fully expected to take a hit on the pocket book.

Go into this fully sober - get a PPI (they will come with a quote of the cost to get it back to tip-top shape) --- let the dealer know (if consignment - let the owner know the cost) - then deal for final price as appropriate...

Hope this helps!

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    nice John! A Mondi is fun 3.2 or T. They all have their own issues. but I need to say the T I hear less issues, but on the other hand fewer are sold..

One horror might be the adjustable shocks. It is only from hearsaying that the system is not the most reliable feature on this car.

Personally I would not by any car unseen or driven, so it is a risk you take here. Worst that can happen is a broken engine? Not sure about the rebuild costs, but another used engine will go for at least 15,000 GBP. Then it still needs to go in. I guess any other costs will be less. I for sure would at least drive one to see what you will be buying though & and perhaps a PPI on the car you found?

How much is do they ask for it? btw Seb (Black/black612) bought one for 28,000 euro from Germany just 3 months ago (with fender damage) and he lives in London ;) You might want to PM him.

Best of luck! and post something when you bought it.

Cheers,
    Tijn

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Never had problems with my adjustable shocks.

Heat soak was my most persistent issue but easily solved by Eugenio's down in So Cal. The power steering is hardly noticeable at speed and the engine sounds great with the top down. No real issues outside of normal maintenance (major service, oil/fluid changes, etc). Next major is due in 2015...will be trailered down to Eugenio's.

Far from a horror show...

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #7 hank sound, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    My Rachel, a Mondial T, Valeo Cab. :) - -

Power assisted steering is a pure joy that hides in the shadows until needed. It is then, that the true value is appreciated.

Adjustable shock dampening is there for you when the road gets stupid - never failed me in 10 years.

30+ additional HP for my T, doesn't really upset me all that much. :):)

All that (and more) for a few additional "engine out" dollars.

The Mondial T was the test mule for all those upgrades that only came with the release of the 355. 348s of like (89-93/4) years, could only bask in their own beauty, while I'm sure they secretly wished they had some of the "stuff" those damn Mondy Ts had !!!

I love them all, 3.2, 348, Mondial T - - but they all possess huge differences. New buyers - - do the research. Your long term owner happiness can only be enhanced by your "education". :)

Cheers, Hank

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    The adjustable shocks can be rebuilt by the factory in California (or independents; search on Fchat) at an almost pleasant, very reasonable price (about $150ea) so they should not be a real worry. Don't waste your time trying to find new ones; they are very expensive (Ricambi $662 each) and difficult to find outside of the dealers because they are an exclusive Ferrari part.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    thanks for sharing guys - good to know...I've found that the stiff setting is a bit too hard - I like the 'middle' setting best!

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've had both a 348 and a Mondial t cab, and they were both extremely reliable. I do my own service work, and taking the engine out is a PIA.

The worst part of the t cab was the roof. It never failed. It was just a bit painful to store and put up.

If you buy it without going over everything with a fine tooth comb..... you are asking for trouble.

11. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Thanks for all the inputs guys, really appreciate it. Sadly, the cars are in UK & I'm in Singapore so shopping has quite often been based on pictures & words.

That said, I'm quite sold on it having read Keith Blumel's book. It's the only Ferrari open top that can fit 4 & so affordable. I just don't like the high maintenance on drop engine job as in my area, we're being charged anything from US$5-8K (348/355) but in UK, it's substantially lesser. Also this car will be used for long distance holidays so it has to be reliable.

Good to hear that those dampers are reliable & cheap to rebuild. My ex-348 was quite a lemon so the experience with this 3.4V8 & electronics of that era is not pleasant.

One question. Is the soft top a full manual where we unlock two levers then flip it back?

12. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    One question. Is the soft top a full manual where we unlock two levers then flip it back?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes.[/QUOTE]

The Mondial cabrio soft top is your classic Italian design, PITA to put up, lil easier to put down, take your time so the pot metal casting levers and latches dont snap on you.

Besides that, lovely but like all rag tops, best parked indoors all the time!

cheers