"Worst Ferrari ever made" | FerrariChat

"Worst Ferrari ever made"

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by billh1963, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Was at European Road and Racing's open house today and took the opportunity to check out my '88 Mondial while it's on the lift and everything is exposed. As I was standing there looking up inside the car someone came up and told the person with them, "The Mondial is the worst Ferrari ever made!"

He looked over at me (I think he realized his faux pas) and asked me if I knew who owned the car. I said I did. The facial expressions were funny :)

I think he was mortified; however, I told him it was okay and I was serious. I actually thought it was funny. Now te person with the low opinion of the Mondial doesn't need to out himself on the forum. I wasn't offended so no harm. I just wanted to share that we Mondial owners are the Rodney Dangerfield of the Ferrari world....we don't get no respect!

I guess when my 348 comes in maybe my status will change :)

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    clearly he has never driven one. People who drive or have driven Mondials are nothing but gentlemen and ladies and would never had made such a social gaffe. :)

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Even ferrari's worst made car , whatever that maybe is better than other manufacture cars compared in the same year.

I will gladly take a cherry mondial over an 88 corvette, jag , or p 944 turbo.

You should have told him , yup, it's the worst one, don't buy one , we don't want guys like you in them.
    That's what I would have said.
    PUTZ

4. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Worst car made !! I wonder if he knows that the 88 Mondial has the exact same engine as the highly acclaimed 328!! Moreover, the 328 adopted the Mondial's suspension!! But I will have to say I am not the biggest fan of the dashboard and center console. Nonetheless I love the car and am looking for one. If anyone knows of one for sale PM me. Grazie. Ciao
    DDD

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, we need to get defensive to those clowns. Great comment here ^^^

I would have said "You sir, are a ******* idiot." Of course, with a smiley. ;)

Eventually they'll say, "Sheesh, those Mondial owners sure are a bunch of buttheads."

BTW, for you new guys, there are too many of these "worst Ferrari" threads already. :D

6. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    In all honesty, I wasn't offended. I really thought it was funny. The older you get the more you find humor in these things.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

- Albert Einstein on the Universe and people who bash the Mondial.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Or sometimes it's simply some thicker skin... I'm on my second Mondial. :)

A long time ago I almost bought a Pinto, almost ordered a new Mustang II King Cobra, came close to buying a Cosworth Vega and an early XJS.

And just a few years ago I needed a utility vehicle; searched high and low for a low-mileage AWD 2005 Aztek (last year made)... no such luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    IMO... Ferrari never made a bad car and I love the mondial exspecially the convertible version. Remember people who says crap like this are extremely jealous and can't fix stupid!!!

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yep I remember when the 246 Dino was the worst Ferrari ever made.
    It didn't have a Ferrari badge it didn't have a Ferrari engine it only had half the number of cylinders a Ferrari should have it was a rust bucket it was slow and underpowered it didn't even have leather seats just plastic ones and it had way too many Fiat bits on it. Prices tended to reflect this bile and hatred of the 246 Dino....you could buy them all day long in the early 90s for £8000
    Then the dealers bought them all up, created a market for this despised little Ferrari and they made a killing and got rich. 246 Dino now sell for £400,000 that's more than half a Million us, now everybody loves the Dino and have forgotten all the things they utterly hated about the car.
    It's a funny old world.

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    some people may say it is, but it is still a Ferrari. stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

12. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Just like pizza and sex, its all good.

13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They get even less respect... Undeservedly IMO.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Fully agree with Pete, although the 348 imho is smeered for different reasons: while with the Mondial it's a matter of public opinion, with the 348 it was a matter of very important insiders (Luca di Montezemolo and Mauro Forghieri) publicly speaking out against the model. Different reasons, same nonsense.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

15. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I couldn't have put it better myself, thats exactly right and now look at them. How could such car that was so non-Ferrari get such status? Marketing!

Well done Bell Bloke.

16. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Having had a 1987 3.2 Mondial which was amazing and now a 1993 348ts which is incredible, I can honestly say that the crap that the president LDM said about the 348 at the time would have been the same for any Ferrrari he was sitting in. He obviously couldn't drive and got beaten at the lights by a lesser car and was embarrassed so he blamed the car. Like a bad workman always blames his tools:)

No one has ever said a 911 was slow and yet the 964 and 348 were both launched in 1989 with the same 0-60 times. Go figure:)

The 308 and 328s were much slower still and yet are praised highly and sky rocketing in value. So I just put it down to marketing hype and people who have never driven or owned both that bash these cars.

When i was selling my Mondial the salesman had a 348 which i was interested in and told me my Mondial was the worst car Ferrari ever made and I had to laugh and tell him he just lost a deal. Typical dealer bull****.

I must admit and Im sure local folks here will agree, we just don't have this problem with any Ferrari here in the UK. Everybody loves them, no matter which model you have.

Enjoy them:)

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I think there may be a predisposition that exists regarding the original 2 valve injection car w/ the metric wheel/tire package and added to the equation it being a 2 + 2...but it was by no means a bad car. it also got better and better w/ each model year. I always liked them especially in the 3.2 and 3.4 engine configs!

never fear...that attacks happen to Ferrari owners across the model range at some point or another.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    every era has its 'worst car' in the lineup.
    i had a 348ts and did despise it, so i can agree with some of the posters here.
    but as solace, i will offer that when i was trying to sell my 456mgt, the non-ferrari dealer low balled me and said that he didnt really consider it a ferrari anyway, and that it was the worst ferrari to own.

ok.....
    the funny thing is that 15 years ago it was the most expensive regular production ferrari you could buy.

on the other hand, he is not wrong in saying that it is seriously difficult to maintain them until you have sorted out all the known gremlins that the model is infamous for.

so everybody has their ferrari bete noire.....view it as a badge of honor !

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    When you have high visibility cars, everybody has an opinion. I know the Mondial is often bullied - I learned that pretty much every car has its detractors. Bill, You handled it well, the time will come gentlemen...the time will come. I sincerly can say If I has space I would buy another one right now.

20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If Mondialpolooza in PA was the worst car gathering ever, and my kid's giggles while
    Shifting the through the gates from the right seat were the worst giggles, and the trips to the winery to get a few cases of wine were the worst trips ever, and the fall top-down evening drives were the worst drives ever, and the dinner trips with another couple were the worst dinner trips, THEN I might even consider giving those tools a moment's consideration.

Until that happens I'll keep driving to dinners and wineries and car gatherings and random drives with my daughter etc etc.

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    well said: i always hated LCDM and his stupid arrogance.

correct: any 348 is faster than a 964 2/4

There isn't "the worst Ferrari": i like them all and everyone should do the same.

ciao

22. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Alberto, right from the birthplace of Ferrari in Modena!

23. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hold on there Alberto! The 964 C2 is actually very slightly faster up to about 200km/h or so. The 348 does have a higher top speed though. Of course top speed as a yardstick is pretty pointless and so in most daily situations a C2 would be faster I feel. I have owned my C2 for over 20 years now and can definitely vouch for its speed!

24. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Alberto, right from the birthplace of Ferrari in Modena!