Main Seal Replacement Accessory Belt Side | FerrariChat

Main Seal Replacement Accessory Belt Side

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Nov 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have a leak bad enough to get onto the exhaust so need to replace the seal. Any one have a link to a step by step instruction? Or special tips?

Thanks!

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Have you tried using (ATP AT 205 re-seal), works magic! Pure it in with engine oil and drive the car a few hours, the leak will eventually stop.
    Of course its not the same as getting a new seal on but it should stop the leaks until you have time to do it right on the next major service.

See this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTT0sejhoOQ

3. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    There are a few threads on the front crank seal on Fchat... many more if you search:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/139431-crankshaft-front-oil-seal.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/142260-fun-front-crank-seal-replacement.html

Well, from those threads, it looks just like any other car, and this is easy on most cars. The slide hammer in the second link is a good idea.

I'm guessing you could do a quality job with the engine in, as there's a lot of room.

Only advice I can give is to be really careful around all of the mating surfaces, and to have everything really spotless before reassembling -- and print out all of the relevant threads on this. If anything is scratched or gouged it will get much more interesting!

It sounds like you're pretty sure it's the crank seal, but you might want to double check the diff seal and boot on that side as they will sling oil like crazy. Cam seal (and cam cover) leaks can migrate to strange places, seen all of these issues and fixed them on my QV.

There are a lot of guys on here who I'm sure could tell you all about it in great detail, hopefully one of them will chime in. But I think you'll find it's very straightforward.

4. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    A quick tip on installing is to get a short piece of PVC piping slip it over the crank and use that to drive the seal in

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Crank seal yes a possibility, but cam drive bearing is more likely, and dripping down making it appear the crank seal is leaking.

Clean the area completely with brake cleaner and blow dry with compressed air. Run the car and watch for the leak. You could even use a dye in the oil which will glow. No point in changing the wrong part.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's exactly what I had on my Mondial 8 years ago. Leak was the same as described by Rapalyea. The front cover had to come off since the cam drive bearings were bad as well.

7. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I just happen to have a crank seal from superformance for the QV
    I had my balancer off to fit the supercharger and there is plenty of room and it was easy once I got the puller set up.
    DO NOT pull from the rear of the pulley you need to get a set of bearing collars for a press and encircle the belt pulley to pull it off.
    You may be lucky and have it just slide off but mine was loctited on proved a handful.
    27mm bolt from memory
    Just ensure the leak is not higher up as previous reply.
    Cam seals do go on these engines

Peter

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Latest Report

Thanks for all the help!

The leak seems to have reduced after adding three separate sealants. The engine compartment used to vent actual smoke to such an extent I was worried to drive it for fear of fire! Today was colder at 55F and after a low rpm run for about five miles ran it to 7,000 rpm in second and third then crept the last four miles home.

No visible smoke at all but still a mild smell of hot oil. If this keeps up I will delay a seal job perhaps till a belt change in a year or two. If it smokes again I will have the seals and belts done together.