A/C belt replacement Question | FerrariChat

A/C belt replacement Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigeasy, Nov 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Getting ready to troubleshoot my A/C system, the A/C belt was removed from the P.O. ( oh no!)
    Is it necessary to completely remove the compressor to replace/install the belt? no clearance to just slip it on the pulley, can it be adjusted so as to have enough room to slip the belt over the pulley? didn't find anything searching the FC data storage. 84 Mondial QV cab. with senden compressor.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From what I remember, yes, you will need to remove the compressor and slide the new AC belt in. Total PITA but after having the experience of changing your own cambelts, -water pump belt/alternator belt/ac belt are a piece of cake to do !

Here are some photos of when I did mine over a year ago.

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for the photos! I found removing the air box and side intake helps in getting the top bolts loose, got the belt on finally. Can't believe how many bolts there is holding the compressor on. Looks like adding Freon and pressurizing the system will also be an event with the location of the compressor service valves.
    Happy Thanksgiving

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Glad you got the belt on now. Best way to get to the hi/low pressure valves is thru the right rear tire well, car must be on jacks or a lift. I'll search for pics if I have any for you.

best

edited: (If your car has not been retrofitted to R134a, than the valves are still R12 so only fill R12 gases into the system).
    REF: Steve Magnusson originally posted this helpful info.
    The letters "DIS" (discharge = high side) and "SUC" (suction = low side) are shown in cast letters on the AC Compressor End Plate -- i.e.,
    The hose with the smaller hex nut on the RH side is the high side.
    The hose with the larger hex nut on the LH side is the low side.