Mondial 8 backfires | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 backfires

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial83, Dec 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I recently bought a 1982 Mondial 8 the car seems to run fine it starts right up goes through its idle up on cold start then idles just right. While driving the car it seems to miss fire or run rough when I shut the key off it pops or backfires through the tailpipes. Can anyone tell me what I should try first I havnt really looked at it closely. There are no records with the car but I bought it from a dealer and was told it was in great mechanical condition. It has 56 k on it and I looked into a full service got a quote of 7500 parts and labor. I'm nt sure if it needs all of that or just a plug cap rotar change. Could anyone help?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is it completely stock, or has most of the emission equipment been removed/disabled?

What version?

3. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    As far as I know it stock I know it was owned from 87 to 2014 by a now 70 year old man in PA but I have been unable to make contact to ask about service history it looks stock it's the Mondial 8 not the QV version it was built in sept 81

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #4 19633500GT, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Rodney, did you have a documented PPI done? If you have no service records to base the mechanical condition off of, I highly recommend having it gone through before deciding on the full service. Backfiring may be a back pressure issue? You must be losing pressure somewhere.

Just had my 8 gone through, and this was what needs to be sorted this winter

"Work Performed - -Shifter seal leaks, -Engine wet (need to wash to find leaks), -Brake pads fine, -brake hoses dry, -air pump seal
    leaking, -Accumulator may need replacing (hard starts), -Recommend replaciing cats with test pipes, -control arm bushings/shock
    bushings dry rotted, -Axle boots dry rotted, -small seep from front crank seal, -engine lid shocks weak, -Intake boot to air box needs
    replacing, -Rear upper cam seal not seated properly, -Coolant tank rusty inside, -Front hood shocks weak, -RECOMMEND a brake and
    clutch fluid flush, -engine oil low, -Lower pulley seal leaks, -Water pump pulley missing a nut."

Just some food for thought basic maintenance wise. And my car had a $8K major in July 2010, it just never got driven since :/ they don't like to sit.

5. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I bought it from a lot that deals in Ferrari and Maserati they said it was in great mechanical condition but I did not believe that it. It does run strong and break and handle good but has this pop issue and seems rough running

6. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    So I should take it to a Ferrari mechanic and have him inspect it? Instead of going right into the major engine out at the shop?

7. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    How do I check if I am losing pressure? I'm either gonna become a Ferrari mechanic or dig deep in the bank for one. Gonna try the simple stuff myself

8. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks for the advice Ken I did not get as good of a deal as you did. I did get a good deal tho. I will go get it checked out that sounds better then 7500 out of the gate for sure. I will let you know how it goes

9. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    There are many independents that have good reputations. Check for one in your area and have them go over the car before you make any decisions....

10. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    If anyone can tell me how to get the Mondial to stop backfire that would be great.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Lots of things that could cause what you are noticing. On my 88, it was the ignition modules going bad. I dont think the 8 has that but you do have coils. You may want to verify which cylinder has spark or has a misfire and on which bank to help you narrow down your troubleshooting.

Birdmans explanation of backfire as follows:
    When you shut the car off, the ignition stops but the engine continues to turn a revolution or two before it stops as well. Without the sparks plugs doing anything, one or two mixtures in the combustion chambers get pumped out into the hot exhaust manifold where it ignites. Because the backfire occurs so long after the car is shut down, there is no way that an additional spark is causing this, as has been suggested.

read more on this topic: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/58361-last-cause-308-backfiring.html

Best

12. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

if you don`t have any information when it was last done, change:

plugs
    plug extenders
    ignition wires

if that does not help, check:

distributor caps
    distributor rotors
    coil wires

report back ;)

13. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #13 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    My Mondial 8 is not carbed it has a pleneum no carbs. I assume it still has mixture screws. Soon as I get time I am going to tweak the mixture screws. Thanks guys I love my Mondial and want it to purr properly. There is nothing like driving a Ferrari

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- CIS has some sins, but, on the plus side, it should start easily cold or warm (with no acc pedal intervention unless some very unusual circumstances) and run smoothly-sweetly with no rude noises ever. If someone tells you "they all do that" = wrong answer...

The reason that I asked about the emission equipment presence/absence is that a stock US version Mondial8 should probably be on fire if the CIS injection system has just been set overly-rich to make it run well. However, perhaps your cats (if physically still present) aren't doing much (or it isn't crazy rich), and "rough running" is maybe even a more serious need to investigate.

One thing you should do is read Section 3 on your exact year(s)-version-model Owner's Manual. It has some excellent figures and some decent text for seeing if all the emission equipment is present, or not -- and I'm not sensing a lot of confidence in your description of the emission equipment status (and the CIS-injected 1980-82 US version 2Vi are the most complicated stock emission-wise). Alternatively, if you can post a few close-ups of the engine bay, would be glad to check them over (and would actually enjoy seeing a truly still-complete example -- the vast majority aren't ;)).

15. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #15 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Steve I will go to my warehouse today and take some pictures of my motor it appears to me that the motor has never been out of the car or really touched for that matter it looks old and not well taken care of in my opinion. If it were mine from new there is no way it would look as it does now. It breaks my heart to look at and know that some one just didn't care. Anyway I have looked over section 3 and will take some good pictures of my engine I will post them here later tonight. I'm gonna go over and check a few things I have been steared toward. The motor starts right up no pedal needed it does its high idle cold start and it idles down when warm and sounds just a bit rough and when driving it sounds kinda like a toy bubble mower a little girgle in the motor then soon as I shut off the motor pow just one time a backfire or pop it will start right back up starting and running is no issue it just don't sound right

16. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    This is my first Ferrari and it will not be my last. I will be a Ferrari pro in a few years I'm sure. But I will never ever sell my Mondial 8 it needs a minor restore and as soon as that is done I will post pics. I hope to have it all done by June even if I need to do engine out

17. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #17 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #18 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
  19. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I found the coil wire has a hole in it a few other wires have black tape on them and look rough cracked and old. I'm sure this is my problem with rough running. The backfire I'd say is same reason but not sure. I have ordered new plugs caps rotors wires extenders etc. my guess is this will cure my problem. Steve does it appear to have all original emissions?

20. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #20 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
  21. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #21 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
  22. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #22 Mondial83, Dec 7, 2014
  23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats on your Moni Rodney! They are fun Ferraris to drive! :) Why feel embarrased? You will have a lot of enjoyment in polishing it up and working on your engine ;)

I guess I would start with what ME308 already mentioned, changing ignition wires, spark plugs, distributor rotors and perhaps extenders, distributor caps depending on their state.

I had some CIS issues, but it was most old rubber (vacum hoses, plenums etc.) and old injectors, which is a low cost change imo. Replacing these might already give improvement.

And Steve rock in CIS. :D He knows the system like all the fingers on his hand.

All the best
    Tijn

24. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks. And your right I will enjoy making it my own cleaning it up and I will change out ignition electricals soon as the parts arrive. Then it's off to the body and paint shop. Hmmmmmm now should I keep it black? I hear red makes the value higher and for the price it will be to paint I think I may change the color all tho I'm not fond of red cars. But this isn't a car ITS A FERRARI

25. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    In Europe the original color keeps the value higher, not sure how that is in the US, but I think more or less the same. Anyway you should do whatever you feel good with. If you like red better then who are we to say different :)