New T Cab Owner Advice? | FerrariChat

New T Cab Owner Advice?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bshortie, Dec 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bshortie

Bshortie Rookie

Nov 22, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Brian Short
    Just bought a 91 T from Gary Bobileff posted on the forum classifieds. Sounds like it has been very well maintained by him for 19 years or so. It comes next Monday; it's our first Ferrari. We haven't chosen a shop yet. We are on the far east side of Columbus, Newark area and have posted in the OH regional forum as well. Any recommendations for a first time owner?

It sounds like we should get a clear shield on the front bumper, and our dust cover comes next week. Any recommendations of accessories or maintenance we should buy/do? Major was 2 yrs ago and annual and tires done last week. I think we are going to change it from the 3 to a 5 year interval. I think that is safe, and probably still overkill. We will be driving it every weekend for 7 months or so. Probably around 3000 miles per year. Thanks for any advice you can throw our way. I have already learned much from the forums. Thank you to those of you that continue to post. Your real world experience is invaluable to all of us newbies.

BTW, although mechanically inclined, I do not plan on doing much of the maintenance myself due to job restraints. My limited free time will be driving it not wrenching it. Thanks again guys.

2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #2 YELO T, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congratulations on your purchase!

Assuming the car is good mechanical condition and belt service recent, I would recommend a few items, most of which you can install yourself:

Change oil + filter, air filter and coolant (even if the dealer said it was changed, do it anyway and always use OEM parts)

Replace the battery with an Optima Red Top.

Replace high and low beam headlamps with Philips Crystalvision Ultra (keeps the original white light, just much brighter)

Upgrade audio system with a Bluetooth capable unit (hands-free phone, etc.)

Custom wool floor mats.

Replace gas struts in front and rear trunks.

Replace tires with all-season tires (although the car has new rubber, I assume summer tires were installed since it's a California car). You do want to drive it during winter months?

If you really want to splurge, pick up a set of matching Ferrari Schedoni luggage. They are getting harder to find and prices keep going up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #3 hank sound, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Your Mondial t is stunning. You bought from a highly regarded individual/service provider/dealer. Drive her in the very best of health.

Oh - BTW, to add to YELO T's suggestions, keep your batter on a "battery maintainer". It will add years of additional life to whatever be your choice of battery. The cost is next to nothing, while the benefits are bigger than HUGE.

Cheers & Happy Holidays,

Hank

4. Bshortie

Bshortie Rookie

Nov 22, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Brian Short
    Do you guys have the 3M clear film on the front? How is the road wear on these being so low?

5. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I don't have the clear film, yet the paint is in excellent shape.

In the "T", the engine sits extra low (that's a good thing), so be careful of speed bumps, road debris and driveway entrances. Always remember that when the car is fully loaded with people and luggage, it sits even lower.

6. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    See Brian... I told you you'd find good things over here. I hope you enjoy the Mondial.

Regards,
    Brian

7. Mondial Madness

Aug 22, 2006
    South Carolina
    Owned my T for 8 years and I have a clear decal that has really saved my car. Use the battery maintainer. I got 8 years out of my red top.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Belts are best left on the Clinton era don't ask, don't tell policy. My recommendation is to do what you want but not publicize it. There are years of arguments with reported recommendations from respected people on both sides. To some this is akin to poking half the members in the eye. :D

I wanted to be real snarky here but I must not have had enough breakfast so I will resist.

My other recommendation, if purchased with all services done, is to drive and enjoy it. Drive it as often and as far as you can. These cars reward familiarity. The more you get to know them the more you understand what they are about and what they return to the driver in rewards.