Twenty Four Degrees F and all Systems Go | FerrariChat

Twenty Four Degrees F and all Systems Go

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Dec 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I know this is not cold by Chicago Standards (thirteen god forsaken years - including -32F my personal worst). But in keeping with my 'daily driver' philosophy got in my sparkly purple metallic wonder, turned the key, got a fast crank and immediate start and clean fast idle. Then drove smoothly to my meeting.

A couple of things. First, this car provides warm air faster then any other car I have owned. My breath frosted the windshield but cleared up immediately. Not something that always happens with my other cars. The temp control is something out of an early KIA but can be learned. Avoid shifting into second gear either up or down for a long time. The ride gets noticeably harsher, but hey, its a sports car.

And of course cold air makes the car even more spritely! Clear blue skies have already warmed up to 43F.

_______

1986 3.2 coupe
    North Georgia Mountains elevation 2,200 ft

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike

All of this just means you are a good story teller ! Where are the PICS of life :)

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    You have me dead to rights! I have two digital cameras and both with dead batteries. I will try to find the cameras and get some batteries. The locale itself was chosen by me with the aid of an extensive Lotus Spread Sheet. Long story short this is probably the best four seasons climate on the planet.

Not only that it turned out to be a restort area with a very rich Methodist College, two renowned cultural schools of lapidary and folk arts ($500 for a hand woven basket) and a lake with 150 miles of explorable shoreline. Which I explored with my cheap pontoon boat at 5mph for 900 miles total.

But it is still Hillbilly Central underneath. I know because I married one of them. Just ask me about bail money and illegitimate children. It should make your eyes water. But here I sit. Hot rodding about in my Ferrari. One fun thing is the locals are not the least bit reticent about discussing it. Unlike someone in a Mercedes S Class I qualify as a genuine curiosity. They all love it.

Its not clear to me the Mercedes S Class drivers feel the same way. I make a point out of visiting the local vinyard at times when the BMW and Mercedes Classes visit from Atlanta for good wine. And seriously. The vinyard makes a light red that is absolutely worth the $30 per bottle price. They give me the 10% discount because I come by so often. I am actually walking distance away. I have permission to raid their decorative vegitable garden.

I get a kick out of driving off at 4.000 rpm in first; 7,000 rpm in second, and about the same in third. The visitors will have something to talk about since none of them have ever even seen a Ferrari. Let alone HEARD one at 7,000 rpm. Just good fun. Might even be good for vinyard buisness.

But that is my boring life. Good enough I quess.