Mondial Exhaust Modifications | FerrariChat

Mondial Exhaust Modifications

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TampaTMM, Dec 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    I noticed Larini has a deal on exhaust right now. Has anyone done any exhaust mods on the Mondial? Wondering if there is a significant enough change in tone to make it worth the spend. I am guessing performance increase is minimal. Also, any experience with any type of decat pipes and how they affect the sound when coupled to the stock exhaust?

2. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have not done it on my 91t...

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I had the same with my Nouvalari Exhaust. No reference sound to be found before the purchase :) Although I heard the extreme sport sound from someone here on a 308. To loud in my opinion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1s1nIpkq3M[/ame]

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Interesting sound but not a better sound. Would like to have heard it at 7,000 rpm. Good running car though. My 3.2 can be recognized in much of the entire county at 6,500 rpm which is my now pretend redline.

At least that is what the neighbors tell me without complaint. Not exactly hugely LOUD just hugely noticeable.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Agreed. No offense to Larini, Tubi etc... But Mondials seem plenty loud enough. Like the looks of the stainless exhaust, but not enough to spend$$. A cat bypass will make it louder too.

6. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
  7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    need to say US exhaust are different and taking of the cat would make already a difference. In europe we don't carry cats and have a very different silent muffler. Makes it wonder if you are not driving an electric Mondi :eek:

This is sound with windows closed
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuyrvAjb5E[/ame]

8. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    another question on the exhaust matter.
    Anybody experience with wrapping the headers? I noticed my engine compartiment got really hot.
    Best
    Jurgen

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    There is no harm in experimenting with various exhaust systems. I have done it many time on Detroit Iron. But its almost all esthetics; nothing much gained in power. And so if you like the sound then that is a good thing.

My mechanic is now fabricating a twin two inch exhaust for a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC with 7psi supercharger. He did it once before and the sound was the best Yankee Detroit Iron V8 sound I ever heard. He seems to think it makes a power difference. He is experienced in such matters and should know.

I am sceptical. But I also like esthetics. And this from me, a guy who spent $1,000 to quiet DOWN the last such vehicle I owned. I remain curious. He likes working on my Ferrari since it amuses him. I suspect he would like to buy it from me as he did my last Lincoln. I think we are in a friendly contest in this matter.

I guess all this is a good thing.

10. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #10 enzo360, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Very neat! I will for sure notice some difference in soumd and pickup power.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Very neat! I will for sure notice some difference in soumd and pickup power. How about MOT (jaarlijkse keuring) in Belgium? Can you leave them on?

13. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    The car is MOT'ed as oldtimer. So, I only had to pass MOT once( very basic one for oldtimer) : when I put the car on plates, annually I pay 39 euro taxes. That's it. So, no need to give in the plates when not on the road while working on her, otherwise I need to pass MOTagain to re register the car.
    Insurance, because the wife doesn't know how to drive, I'm the sole chauffeur here, so I can only drive 1 at a time, supplement of 100 euro on my DD insurance.
    Best
    Jurgen

14. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Untill your boys turn 18!!! You need to buy a vault for the keys! ;-)

15. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    hahahaha,
    the oldest son turns 20 in a couple of months, no intrest in cars what so ever.
    But the other 4..... thanks for the warning :)
    Best
    Jurgen

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    MvT

Listened a couple of time to your recording and to my dead ears it souds WAY different then my '86. Actually sort of refined. I wonder if I can get Euro System for my car! Ms. Prugna Metallica sounds absolutely ferocious in the open air. Never mind what panic might be instigated in a tunnel.

But I am still trying to start a rumor the purple ones are faster;) I am thinking of getting a dash cam for my favorite drive and maybe I will think a bit harder about it now.

17. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
  18. dimibo

dimibo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    the Netherlands, EU
    Full Name:
    Dion Bosch
    I have a Nouvalari as well under my 3.4t (1990) The sound is nicer (my opinion) than the standard factory exhaust, it is not too much, it makes more music but not over the top. Next video at 0:59h you can listen to the music ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDD74hpDUlA

19. dimibo

dimibo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    the Netherlands, EU
    Full Name:
    Dion Bosch
    and also at 3:56h I have just noticed ;-)

20. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #20 Burch1, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is no smog test in Indiana so I plan to replace my cats with straight pipes when the major is done later this month.
    It should make a difference and I'll post the results.
    Cheers,
    Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    I'd like to hear about both the performance and sound results with the straight pipes. I agree with DaveM that the Mondial's when you get them warmed up and shifting pretty at around 6K, that they are loud enough. I got schooled by one of my neighbors screwing out of the neighborhood at 6am last week, which is probably what happened to Rapalyea. :) I will say that they exhaust sound on my car, the balanced back pressure, reverb and pop from a quick double clutch are music; like a perfect French Horn Symphony. I have had the car back 2 weeks and have 270 miles on her. Loving every mile...