84 QV fuel sending unit removal / repair | FerrariChat

84 QV fuel sending unit removal / repair

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigeasy, Dec 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    #1 bigeasy, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Next project is the repair of my fuel sending unit. Checked the gauge and wiring, and all is working when I put the power probe to the level wire and low fuel wires. Need to take the float assemble out from the bottom of the car, it appears there are 4 pins that would require tooling or just a good pair of needle nose pliers. Has anyone removed theirs? was it fairly easy to loosen the bottom plate? any other insight would be most helpful, below is a pic. of my fuel unit 1984 QV Cab.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    It will go better if you fab up a tool.

afterburner likes this.
  3. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    #3 bigeasy, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    O.K. finally got around to dealing with the fuel sending unit issues. First I emptied the fuel tank, by slicing the 1 1/2" fuel line between the two tanks ( hose looked ready to expire at any moment, new one on order) and drained the remaining fuel into a 5 gal. can. I fashioned a tool to remove the sending unit cover from a 1/2" piece of square tubing, and welding a 1" nut on the bottom. I measured the distance between the holes on the bracket, and drilled and welded 2 steel rods onto the square bar the same distance as on the bracket/seal.

The locking sending unit plate came off very easy, actually it came off by hand by turning the square tube tool I made. After removing the lower cover plate the unit itself came out with minimum pressure, there is a rubber gasket between the two plates so be careful not to pry the unit out with and sharp object. to inspect the sending unit just pry off the small plastic top retaining ring (careful) and remove the clamp type ring washer. The internals then are accessible by pulling the tubular cover up from the bottom plate, see photos, it just slides up and off. My unit had one of the wires disconnected and the spring supporting wire that connected to the float looked to be past its prime.

Really a easy removal. sending it off to Bobs speedometer repair in Howell MI for his magic touch. I'll echo back when the unit is reinstalled

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Very interesting, thankyou for posting ;-)

5. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe

6. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have an 85 Mondial Euro and am removing the sending unit. The locking ring came off easily but the piece below that seems to be bonded to the rubber gasket. I am soaking with PB blaster and I've tried to hit the piece that I now have access to so I can break the seal with the rubber gasket but it doesn't want to move - Is there something I am missing? Thanks

7. Adrian Clarke

Adrian Clarke Rookie

Feb 9, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Adrian Clarke
    God mines currently at Migliore Cars having this very issue sorted. Vic’s still at the ‘diagnosis’ stage (drain tank, refill in stages - not sure how that works but assume he knows what he’s doing).

8. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you - The sender and other tank fittings have been removed after soaking with PB Blaster - they're cleaned up and ready for the plater:

moysiuan likes this.
  9. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Putting the sending unit back in the tank. Does the rubber gasket go between the sending unit and the tank or between the locking ring and the sending unit (per parts book but seems wrong).
    Thanks for the help...

10. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
  11. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name: