Ferris Bueler's Day Off | FerrariChat

Ferris Bueler's Day Off

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I made my daily beer run out the 20 mile round trip back woods 'long way home' route today.

A lady at the gas station trotted over with a happy grin and told me: "I have not seen one of these since Ferris Buelers's Day Off!" Then complemented me on how beautiful it is (Purple Metalic) and left with a similar smile after suggesting a vanity plate. The fact that the 1961 250 GT California would buy about half the Mondials ever made was irrelevant.

One of my great joys in this car is how much people love to encounter it. For instance, I stopped at the local car parts shop (real actual rural with two customers). The other customer left and ran back in with a giant smile on his face and exclaimed: "There's a FERRARI out front!"

The local Maybury RFD Kwick Stop has a bench where guys hang out watching the world go by. We are talking Escargo Go By in this instance. The bearded guy mumbled something enthusiastic I did not quite understand but I replied the car was a whole lot faster then me and got an happy guffaw.

People ask me to SIT in the damned thing! Parents point out to a young lad in the grocery parking lot "Look, there's a Ferrari!"

And then there is the excellent local winery. Atlanta cognicenti show up in all sorts of European Iron. But nothing EVER trumps the Mondial. Porche guys especially are delighted to swap stories. I stop buy so often I get a 10% discount on their $30 light red that is actually worth the $30 full price.

And I am fortunate to have a talented mechanic who has never serviced any Ferrari but mine and who looks forward to the next breakdown to have more fun. He did my clutch and then asked if he could change the belts!

The car has a slow oil cooler leak I will have him fix eventually. He now has my near showroom 1988 Lincoln Mark VII to add Supercharger and all the suspension and brake system goodies and told him I did not need it till next Summer. Or until the Mondial needs something more serious.

So this is life in the poorest county in all of Georgia. Which is odd since it is also a major resort as well. I need to hire a Greek Philosipher

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    David,

Those stories brought a huge smile to my face.

Keep driving on my friend, keep driving on!

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #3 Rapalyea, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    I made my 20 mile back-road trip for my three Buch Ice 24oz beers only to discover I had forgotten my wallet. Oh Drat! Now I needed to retrace my steps. Past TWO other places that have such adult refreshment without the back roads. Oh well. The difficulties we place upon ourselves.....

PS: I do ramble on. Yesterday chatted with my sister up North who bought a good used Buick about the same time I got my Purple Metalic Wonder. She has been towed in off the road twice. Me in my 'exotic' that I drive with verve? Not once. Although once from my own car port. So drive on I will do....

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    You left out some important facts, what kind of beer was it?

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Busch Ice.

I am four square in favor of price per proof/ounce. Accordingly, Busch Ice, twenty four ounces for $1.19 @ 5.9 %. I have Keystone Ice as well. All the ice beers are just light beers with more alcohol. As such they have nothing wrong with their taste since they don't have much taste.

In a bar I will order Sam Adams on draft, or a Heinekin. Pilsner Urquell if available. My tastes seem to bifurcate. I like cheap bear and high end beer. I like cheap Turning Leaf Pinot Noire at $4.50, or my local $30 per bottle light red. Same with Cigars. Right now I am smoking a giant 8.5 inch cheap La Finca Churchill.

But I really like Hoya de Montery Excalibur as well. Probably my favorite smoke. I can not account for any of it. But I sure as hell miss Binding Export and Kaiser Pilsner Prevat. For the life of me I do not know why we do not import actual German Beers.