All Published Stats on one page... | FerrariChat

All Published Stats on one page...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Thanks Paul for all the work. These tables are fascinating in many ways. For instance, there is unexpected significant differences between two separate magazines. And other anomolies.

For instance 1987 Car & Driver has my 3.2 0-60 at 6.3 and 1/4 [email protected] which sounds about right to me. However, the trap speed was only 94mph! Thats the exact fastest speed my 200hp Z-28 ever posted with a 15.0 time with similar weight.

And the 0-110 in 22 seconds just does not wash. Last week I did a run from 60 indicated to 120 indicated in seven or eight potatos, That really was 54-108 mph. And I can gay-run-frackn-tee it did not take me five potatoes to go from 98-108!

I stand here to propose Prugna Metallica DOES go faster ;)

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3 paulchua, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words David,

I think so many factors go into these tests that can vary the number so widely.

Driver Skill, (If they totally trash the clutch and do a 'dump'), Weather, Tires, road condition, height, etc....

Also I believe the coupes tend to be about 1/2 second quicker at least then the convertables.

I think the ts are mid 6s, 3.2s high 6s, qv 7-8 seconds? and the Mondial8 - 9s...

In other words - All SLOW compared to today's cars.

A 2015 Camry V6 does it in 5.8...

:)

Here is an interesting article about the 'fastest' car from every manufacturer's current fleet.
    http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobiles/fastest-40-the-speediest-cars-from-every-brand-sold-stateside.html/?a=viewall

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I really really want to click on your link but am terrified at what I will find. Four cylindar Mustangs in the 13 second range? I would be temped to find a rope and a bridge. Incidentally, I DID stop at the Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago and asked to drive a 4 cylindar Mustang. He had none available but said he would call.

In my sordid past I might have said something like that to one or two lady's. Now I know what they might have felt like. Or perhaps not......

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    PS

I have always made a hobby out of test driving everything available. That was easy in Chicago where the Infinity, Lexus, Subaru and all other makes were in my neck of he woods. They almost always just gave me the keys, and I knew a secret industrial park access road where I could really use their suspension. I was actually impressed with the little Infinity front driver. Actually could put rubber down on the road.

Where I now live my last actual test drive was a supercharged KIA. And the kid insisted on riding shotgun. OK kid. Here we go. I made a hard right hander at about 50mph and the KIA just shredded its front tires plowing straight and fast to a quard rail. I started laughing hysterically and just stood on the brakes and came to rest noplace even close to the guard rail.

The kid, however, was in something of a state. He did collect himself and demanded the keys. Don't think I see many KIAs in my future.

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The local Chevy dealer will let me drive everything solo except the Vette. I drove the Vette like a limo driver. It tracked good enough on straight roads. My shepherd would not permit curvy roads. And I have never liked the wack-a-mole seating. And if I can't hang my left arm out the window grabbing the rooof I am not interested.

Visions of James Dean with a pack of Lucky's roled up in his T-shirt sleave. So that nixes the Camaro as well. For some reason hot cars seem to require an interior like some sort of cramped man cave. I like the airy Mondial and the airyest of all, my Corvair.

Well that needs some correction. The MG-TF and Triumph TR-3 were not just airy. They were wind storms of air from every direction. I suspect I would like the Miata. And they can be had with superchargers. But I have never driven one of them so don't know. The Saturn Vue and Pontiac Solstice are, to me, like modern day 1960 Vettes. God they look good.

I hear they are not all that good as sports cars, but I know my suspensions and can tune a 1956 Caddy Hearse into four wheel drifters, I suspect. Handling is all about roll stiffness. That means bushings and stabilizer bars. This very day I was checking up on my 1988 Lincoln Mark VII and the custom stabilizer bars were just right. VERY thick and well mounted. I will worry about bushing tune later.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you, Paul! Quite an extensive and thorough search! I've also struggled to find more articles and data regarding the QV than any other Mondial variant. Wonder why that is...

Anyway: only people looking for info on the Mondial will appreaciate Paul's work. It's not the easiest thing in the world to find nowadays, nor to write about!

Kind regards and season's greetings!

Nuno.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Nuno for your words of encouragement - I have a couple more articles I will post when I get a chance

:)

Cheers

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Finally found an old Road and Track with a review/specs of a QV! 1984

I also have a 3.2 review and another t review. I will scan and post this weekend...

Cheers

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Looking forward to it! Thanks again, Paul!

Kind regards,

Nuno.