My new 1986 3.2 | FerrariChat

My new 1986 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porchnut, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    #1 porchnut, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What a beauty! Welcome to the brotherhood!!

Cheers

3. Ferrarimike83

Ferrarimike83 Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    York PA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Looks good & my favorite color red!

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Holy moly! What a stunning Mondial! Congratulations and welcome, Andrew! I have the exact same Mondial, but in Euro specs and nero interior.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    woo hoo!!!

Please post lots of pics of you driving her as if she were stolen all throughout Jan and Feb when many of us are sneaking out for lunch when there's no salt on the roads (if at all).

Congratulations.

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Andrew, enjoy it! Looks like a winner.

7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    It looks Great, and that is why I own one.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Great Choice! Mondial is one of the last 'Manly' sports cars. You will notice this if ever you might find yourself in need of parallel parking. But there is good reason for this idiosyncracy and it has to do with full power slides in tight corners!

I do not recommend this, but I live in the mountains and full power slides at 40-60 mph are becoming my specialty. It takes awhile to learn and is not worth the time for most people. I wore my last tires out after 5,000 miles. My one recommendation is to use your revs. Shift between 3,000 and 4,000 rpms just to keep carbon of the valves.

I have a superstion that has not proved harmful over the last 18 months and 8,000 miles. I always add at least 6 oz of 2cycl oil to every tankfull. And of course I must add this rumor. Prugna cars are especially fast. I have my suspicions on this but will keep them to myself ;).

Turn the key and drive!

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    You have an excellent car there!

Enjoy it!

10. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Congratulations! A lot of happy, fun and safe miles!

11. lince

lince Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Congratulations, i also bought a 1986 3.2 red tan exactly like yours and im currently importing it hope to have it in my garage bere the the year ends

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Amén to that, brother!

Congratulations, Lince! How's the Ferrari community over there in Colombia?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Ah, that first day, when it arrives and is sitting there, right out your door, ready to drive, whenever the feel hits you. You can hardly believe it is reality after all the time of thinking and searching and deciding. Enjoy that first moment when you realize it is yours. And think of all the wonderful moments to come. Congratulations!

14. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Beautiful car! Enjoy in good health!

15. lince

lince Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Thank you, in Colombia there are around 25 ferraris total around half of them are from the las 5 years, know most of them but i dont do much group road trips, I prefer short trips on all of my cars. I have a testarossa also 86 black and other sports cars from the 59-91

16. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Very nice! You bought that from St. Louis, MS, yes?

17. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    I shift both of my Porsches @ 4,000rpm, they love it. ��

18. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Yes, coming out of Fenton, MO. to be exact.

19. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    #19 porchnut, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Owning a Ferrari has been a long dream finally coming true, have always been a Porsche guy as they are less expensive to maintain, can't wait until it is sitting in the garage. ��

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The Mondials are wonderful drivers cars. Enjoy.

21. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    David, what does the 2 cyl oil do for the engine?

22. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Well, the anticipation of getting the Mondi has been overwhelming the past couple of weeks with the trucking company saying it is suppose to show up and it never does. Found out today it is still on the dealer's lot in MO. Maybe it will show up next year.

23. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Two Cycle Oil

I knew our cars have mechanical fuel injection and in my mind anything mechanical can use some lube. I suspect some 'O' rings etc. More specifically, I suspect the injectors are simple ball and spring spritzers like windex bottles. A bit of oil very good for such things.

On top of that it serves as a top lube. The thin oil film coats the intake valve stem as well as the valve seat. I also suspect the oil, being designed for combustion, MIGHT help avoid and help saturate and remove carbon build up. And of course the cylindars get a dolop above where the oil rings reach.

It is not clear to me how complete is the combustion, but it is possible the exhaust valve stems and seats get some residue. I have no concerns on cats or O2 sennsors. I have never noticed any smell or smoke. Even after last week when I put in a full 16oz.

I must admit the idle seemed a bit more steady and burbly with the 16oz but that could be my imagination. The car DOES like heavier oil. In Summer I do not hesitate 15w-50w. Right now I have a small oil leak in the oil cooler and have been adding 20w-50. True. I do not go above 3,000 rpm til the oil temp is up.

I have been adding 2cy oil for the last 8,000 miles and several things have improved over that time. None of which I can attribute to the oil. First, the car now starts frist time every time on all cylindars. For a long time it tended to start on the first try but one cylindar at a time for about 3 seconds.

Second. The idle originally had a bit of hobby horse. Nothing bad, but now pretty much gone. Finally, and this is the big thing, the car is one hell of a lot faster now. I have a surrogate 1/4 mile run up hill. When I first got the car it would pull just over 80mph. Now it pulls just under 90mph.

I attribute this to simple carbon blow out over the last year. I used lots of carbon and cat cleaner, always shifted above 3,000rpm. And in recent times warm the car up going down my mountain between 2-3000 rpm.

It is now cool where I live (40F) and this puts oil viscosity into the fuel economy etc equation. Even after minimal oil warm up I was getting about 10 mpg instead of 15. I have now started shifting at 2,200 rpm instead of 3-5,000. The car runs perfectectly at these low speeds and I am curious if I will get carbon build up. Already I can tell I am back up to at least 15mpg. This is because the last time I put 10 gallons in I had only gone 110 miles and was down to 1/4 tank.

The gas needle has not moved in the last 65 miles. Since I use the car as my daily driver I will find out soon enough.

24. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Appreciate the feedback and as soon as I get the car I will give it a try and hope will get the same results you noted above.
    Do you use Stabil in your fuel after a fill up? Have been using it both of my Porsches as they are driven everyday and may sit for a week at a time.

25. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #25 Rapalyea, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    I do not use Stabil since the car gets a new tank of gas every week or two. It really is only needed if the car does not get a fill up every six months. And I understand why this can happen. When I got this car I was all stomach butterflies just out of principle. There is a Mystique After All. Maybe I will park it most of the time and just admire the thing?

I needed to decide if I moslty like to look at it or really find out what the hell there MIGHT be about Ferraris. And believe me, I seriously screwed up using cheap Alpha clutch hydraulics. Once I got that fixed I decided just to drive it come what may. After the clutch catastrophe I now mostly pretent the red line is 6500 or from time to time 7,000.

In point of fact, once these cars get sorted out they are better driven, and even vigorously driven. As one forum member has pointed out, they are almost stupid simple compared to, say, a Maxima. One thing they are notorious for is reluctant starters when hot. Italian wiring is as delicate as their shoe stitching.

The symptom is you turn the key and get a click. In my case I somethimes got several but always got a start. More then one owner has had to pop start them. Which they do better then any other car. My starter went completely south but it is a NAPA part about $500 installed.

That might still not fix the problem but there is an easy fix. The ignition key always provides enough voltage and amperage to activate a simpe garden tractor solenoid located down near the starter. Simply run those two ignition wires to activate the new solenoid mounted near the starter and run a good hot wire and ground from the garden tractor solenoid to the starter. In my case the new NAPA starter became completely reliable upon daily use.

The same delicate wireing makes for slow windows and windshield wipers. All of mine have been dead for 18 moths but do not know it yet. Just keep using them. Even pushing the windows up if needed. Exercice the wipers in a car wash. You might get wet but I use blue painting masking tape over the sun roof joints, and the left front A pillar and just rip it off later.

In my experience the mechanics of the car are agricultural strong. Once or twice one or the other bank of cylindars has made a hickup. My first impulse was to wiggle all the wires and so far never another problem.

I have had the same problem with the heater and vent. The vent is very stong but the connections at the fuse box are weak. I was resigned not to have vents, then pushed all the wires back under the plastic cover box and it has worked ever since. Also, last Summer the hot air would not turn off.

I simpy got a pair of proper needle nose vise grips, found the hot hose in the front right under the hood, and carefully just squeezed it off. A year later it just mystically started working again. Not that the heater knob would ever let you know. It might as well have been supplied by mattel. But you can test it with full on and full off.

As you can tell, I do not consider this thing like a swiss watch. What it is is a factory kit car. There is certainly nothing wrong with having Ferrari do the work. But They Hate Mondials for the simple reason they do not cost enough for them to even put on their floors.

I approached Ferrari Atlanta about a Mondial and they just about had a coniption fit. "We have a two seater we MIGHT get you for $69,000. Maybe. They would not even LOOK for a Mondial. And of course it is by far the better vehicle. Actual head room. Parcel shelves cleaverly disquised as passenger seat. And half the price for the same mechanicals. I do not trust them. So that is a problem. Simply be aware.

But to have a Ferrari to drive? I do it every day. It is a bit like driving a fancy garden tractor but is adictive. Eight thousand miles and counting.