Classic car rescue | FerrariChat

Classic car rescue

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by LmnsBlu355, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LmnsBlu355

LmnsBlu355 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jordan S.
    Bernie and Mario are restoring a blue Mondial on Classic car resue on Velocity channel. Love the blue. Not the wheels.....

2. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    I agree on both counts. I thought the first spray lighter blue looked great too.

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I watched it again last night was wondering why they didn't get wheels from superformance.

4. LmnsBlu355

Dec 28, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jordan S.
    Probably got the cheapest they could find. I like these shows but wouldn't dare buy a car they "restored".

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    LOL! I can just hear the conversation with a prospective buyer "Who did the belts?" " Oh some guy Mario who we almost bought a car from"

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Sad that show and others like it glorify the band-aid fix and quick flip. IMO just encourages any hack with a set of wrenches to try and pull one over on the next unwitting buyer and the half a$$ed work being passed off as "restoration" dilutes peoples notion of a good quality car.

7. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Mario comes across as a poser and drama queen. I'd love to see the full footage of them actually working on the Mondial, they barely showed any details of the fixes they did to the frame or sheet metal, let alone the engine service. Instead all they show on that program is yelling and freaking out and made up "suspense" about the valuation. And I bet the original blue was actually a primer coat and they meant to paint the car it's original color all along.

I like Bernie, he seems like he could depart a lot of technical information if they actually filmed him doing the detailed work.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I know Mario, and their new tech Sati. Let's just leave it at that.

9. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    What do they do with the cars after they get "appraised"? Do they actually sell them? What did they end up getting for the Mondial?

10. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It was made available as a prize after the show (text in for £1 and you were entered into a raffle). The winner had it up for a few weeks as a private advert at something north of £20k. Then it came up on eBay (see link below) with a slightly less than concours description given all the work that had been done! It eventually sold for about £5k under the TV valuation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-FERRARI-MONDIAL-3-0-LITRE-V8-BLUE-METALLIC-CREAM-LEATHER-/251636682447?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a96b70ecf&nma=true&si=REiE%252FaN%252Fo1hMxxwDps9gg9JGBcQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_102wt_1399

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    $19,776. in today's dollars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Mondialbuyer

Mondialbuyer Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    I love watching classic car rescue with Bernie and Mario. Infact, its their episode of restoring the mondial that gave me an "extra" spark to buy a mondial. Regardless of the script, i love the restoration work. Its entertaining to my satisfaction.

13. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks. It's nice to get a closer look, the color is gorgeous and suits the Mondial shape very well. Too bad about the wheels, 360 wheels would have looked great against that blue.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is! I looked at buying a blue QV a few years ago, a beautiful color for this car. It was in Tampa but now with Jeremy Cockrill in TX.

15. LmnsBlu355

Dec 28, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jordan S.
    That looks amazing!!

16. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I think they did a good job. They even had a Ferrari expert do the belts. Though they did not give his name.

17. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    The experts name was also Mario.

18. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Although unverified: Berni Fineman supposedly apprenticed at Thomas and Draper Rolls Royce for 11 years leaving as a member of Institute of the Motor Industry (MIMI), UK’s version of the US National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (NIASE) along with a Mechanical Technical Engineer qualification.

Not much on Mario Pacione

19. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I watched that show and was horrified at how much GOOD work they did to produce a middling priced vehicle. Not only did they blow dry off the plastic coating. They painted it TWICE. And fabricate frame work - I think. So if you want a Mondial 8 this is a good consideration.

But seriously folks. Its a Mondial 8, right? Naturally aspirated three liter two valve. My 3.5 pushrod GM MAXX does 220 hp at a smooth 6500 rpm. These were rental cars. I am sorry. Its one thing to drive an 1600 MGA and another to drive a 308 Ferrari two valve. There is nothing wrong with driving either an MGA or Mondial 8.

But a 3.2 does not cost much more. The 3.4 has more scat, but requires engine out for a water pump. My Prugna inexplicably runs like a scalded hound, and may die a scaleded hound death to boot. But my 3.2 is about at the bottom of my feeder list for mountain runners.

20. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    I think given the finite number of 308/ 328 and Mondials, all of them deserve to be restored. It isn't about speed. A GM MAXX is a disposable car that no one will remember existed. The slowest Ferrari is still a work of art that is fun to drive.

21. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    perhaps 20 years from now, but if that's your take there are plenty at low value now just waiting for a. pocket books, b. someone to spend time on them.

good luck

22. TaureanDragon

TaureanDragon Karting

Nov 16, 2014
    Herts, UK
    My thoughts would be the bodywork gremlins have been sorted, a pretty good job has been done on the paintwork. The original, and probably the most suited for the Mondial, colour has been restored. Brakes and exhaust have been replaced and the interior ‘restored’. While the wheels don’t seem to be to the taste of anybody else out there (not sure if it is just the mutual consent is that only the originals will do, or that they are totally wrong for the Car). For my part, they look a little too modern for the ERA of the car, but given that they come with new tyres what’s wrong with acquiring the car and ‘living’ with the rims until new tyres were needed, unless of course one is flush enough to scrap both wheels and tyres and replace with ones having the ‘right look’.

It is true that, like many supercars of the past, it does not possess as much power as many modern saloons, that it may not have the same Kudos as the other horses in the stable being ‘only’ a ‘Mondial 8’, but it is still a Ferrari and loads of fun to drive and for some entry level to the experience of ownership. My two pence worth :)

23. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have prepped a 3.5 MAXX it handles very well with nice 3.5 vvt pushrod engine its a fine engine. It has been parked out near the Ferrari just in case I decide to use it. But hasn't been started in months. I have to walk past the Mondial to get to the MAXX. I never get to the MAXX.

The 3.2 is WAY faster then the 3.5 MAXX, and I am confident it would outrun a MAXX 3.9 but have never driven one to find out.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I completely agree. If one seeks to truly 'dominate' others in a contest of speed today

Buy a Corvette with Z07 Package

Done.

Unfortunately, based on my limited driving skills - if I even dare try to use 1/2 it's power on the road I took my Mondial in yesterday - I would be talking to you from the grave at the moment!

haha