If You Want A Ferrari Buy A Mondial Now | FerrariChat

If You Want A Ferrari Buy A Mondial Now

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    They are the real thing, thats for sure. And I have headroom for my cowboy hat, and large parcel shelves behind the front seats cleverly designed to mimic rear seats. And the car does not look like a warp drive space thing that, in actuallity, might be given a close run by a good 6cyl Honda.

And there is not one person I have ever encountered who did not believe it is beautiful. And its reserved design makes it intimidating. "Just exactly What Is This Thing?" Hit 7,000 rpms in second and before the surprise wears off you are gone.

I have been driving mine as my daily car for the past year. It starts every time the first time. Runs better, smoother, with more throttle response at any rpm then any car I have ever owned. Now I have tires that match the suspension [Continental ExtremeContact Summer DW at 40 PSI all around] and if I had bought this car new off the showroom foor would expect this feel. Solid.

But I wax enthusiastic. Perhaps next week something will choke me down. And true, I abused it early to find its limits and scattered a clutch at 90F and 7,700 rpms. Don't do that anymore. Actually, I do not see a lot of advantage above about 6,500. And a local mechanic did the clutch for $2000 plus parts I supplied plus 'birdmans' instructions.

Even the windshield wipers are improving since driving in the rain they get some easy exersize.

But in all this I am biased.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #2 paulchua, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Completely agreed, (Of course I'm super biased) -- When I was considering buying the Mondial --- I was a bit worried. But now....even with my high mileage example (almost 50K miles) --- I can say it's been a dream come true.

Just make sure you buy one with no stories and well maintained, it will give you smiles for ear to ear...year after year...

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Paul,

Contrary to what collectors and auctioneers try to make us think, low mileage cars are prone to a lot more trouble than high mileage cars. My Mondial spent some years in a garage and the previous owner bought it in 2008 with little over 30.000km. According to the maintenance book, in 1992 it had 20.000km! So that's 10.000km in 16 years give or take. And he did mention he spent quite a lot of money to make it roadworthy again (I can tell, I have the receipts!). I've seen 100.000km Mondials in great shape, it wouldn't put me off if I were to buy a Mondial today. More important than books, receipts, paper trails etc, is the owner. The human factor in these cars is still pretty much everything!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Paul

Yes. There is nothing better then getting into a car that fits like an old shoe. Starts every time and drives off as easy as Detroit Iron, but with a cam, and like a scalded dog. The suspension is better then any I have engineered over the last decades. [At this very moment my mechanic has a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII up on lift installing cryo dipped rotors, custom specified brake pads, stabilizer bars Arnold Swarzineger would envy, plus a possitive displacement supercharger at 7.5 psi on top of a Ford 5.0 HO]

The mechanic talked me into exhaust pipes the size of storm drain pipes [the last ones I heard were the best Detroit burble I have ever heard] and a performance steering rack. And other brick a brack. But I doubt it will replace the Mondial in the daily line up. I drove a similar Mark VII 190,000 miles and the reason I am building another one is I sold the old one to the mechanic and he won't give it up.

But by then I had put a 347 stroker in it with cam plus supercharger. Ah. Well. To late now. I got mad at the car when I flamed the tranny practicing torgue braking. I will live with the little bitty bitty 5.0 simply because I like how the car looks. It is in many ways near show room.

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I bought my reasonable well maintained '86 328 GTS with 69,XXX on the clock and it seems to be in better shape mechanically that many with half that mileage. The interior, while not bad for the age, was showing signs of wear, but in the scheme of things those repair items are on the lower end of the cost scale than any major mechanical problems.

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #6 Rapalyea, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

This is a continuous dicscussion and I agree with you, Nuno. My 1986 Mondial had 44,000 miles on it and all the paper work showed well kept up to date. But still. That was only a couple of thousand miles per year. I had no complaints. It ran OK, not perfect. The brakes were iffy. Some other stuff. And as is my custom I put the car to test.

The brakes needed serious exercise. I filled the cabin with fumes on several ocasions and now they are correct. The engine was not as strong as I had hoped, had a bit of lean surge on light throttle from 3,000 rpms. But fine to drive. I tested injectors with some sort of spray which indicated some air leakage. All I did was drip some power steering stop leak on them [just softens them up and some swelling] and now that is gone.

I believe the slugishness was due to carbon build up. This is a known problem with K-Jets, especially BMW of the era. They simply ran crushed walnuts through the system while running. Lacking crushed wall nuts I used lots of chemical cleaners, and specifically kept the rpms up, especially on warm up. By that I mean 2-3k. Then routinely shift at 3-4k.

I am also running 20-50 synthetic oil because I was getting some leaking at the oil cooler and out of the front main bearing. I included about half a dozen various 'stop leaks' and the front mains seems fine for the time being, and the oil cooler too. And infamously I have always added about 6 oz of 2cycle oil to add protection against ethel alcohol, and to lube anything in the mechanical fuel injector system that might benefit. Like the injectors themselves.

Although the car now seems, both mechanically and suspension, like a new car. I would not invite anyone to buy it. I have treated it the same as my Corvair, Z-28, or any of my other vehicles. It does not seem to me a Fabrege egg. And whatever might go bad I can get it fixed well enough.

But in going on 10,000 miles? One clutch [my fault] and one starter. Thats it.

PS: One concern is I get a valve tappet click for a few seconds after start up which I did not get before. It is on the passenger side and is not severe. And never re appears during the day. But if it swallows a valve I will not be surprised. If not I will not be surprised. I would rather have a slightly loose valve then one to tight.

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The more I drive my car the sweeter it runs.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    When I sold mine she was at 72,000 miles and was still running very well. I owned ot for only two summer but I drove it a lot and loved it. Never had serious problems. Little things like a leaking rad. If I had spare money I'd buy the T coupe for sale here anytime.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Same here. At some point it will either run perfect [not much to add] or start getting worse. Generally my cars seldom if ever run worse then I got them. Almost all of them either run the same or get better.

10. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Mine has don 171.000 km,s runs great, absolutley no oil leakes or problems!
    Cars that are reguraly driven are absolutely the better cars.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for all the replies, I've been learning what many here have said...it's never about the mileage but the owner(s) --- When I first got the car, it was pretty neglected..

The most egregious foolishness was the previous owner(s) added a bunch of various electronic doo-dads that were very unnecessary, it taxed it already sensitive electrical system. Had to take all that out. Had a bad alternator, 1 bad fuel pump.

It runs awesome now. The only thing 'hiccup' I have is when I take this one specific high banked 270 degree corner - I'll lose power when pressing the throttle for 1 second -
    Stil have not figured it out - but only happens that *that* specific bank turn! Driving it for over 800 miles and no other turn has the affect..haha

Cheers

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    171k, that's great.

13. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Paul - I know exactly what you mean. My car now has 47k miles and has been neglected a bit. After the first few days I started feeling sorry for myself each time I found something new that was going to need attention, but now I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that I have rescued this car in the nick of time.

The car drives great and is a blast to drive. But it has an oil leak I need to find and I think the shock actuators are messed up because the button doesn't do anything. And of course the automatic seat belts don't work. The day after I got it home, the battery was toast. But thanks to the posts on this forum, I had an Optima red top in in no time.

The car has had two majors - belts done both times. The last time was at 39k so less than 10k miles, but it was 10 years ago. So that has me wondering. Pretty soon I'm going to sit down and start prioritizing everything I want to do so I don't bite off too much at once. But the car is already getting healthier in my care and that makes me feel great about buying it.

14. B11ocx

B11ocx Karting

Jan 30, 2014
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Before spending money on new actuators, take them all off, manually turn the shock button all the way left, make sure the gear is still visible in the actuator and refit remembering the need to be solidly down. Check the earth on the accelerometer at the front of the car and then try it. For some reason there seems to be a few issues with these.

Incorrect starting point (this also helps identify which one is not turning without the SD1) so if it still does not work, carefully remove them all again and see which shock button has not turned at all.

Accelerometer earth is right at the front of the car and is easily corroded (and forgotten)

Speedo issues (if your speedo does not work correctly neither will the shocks as I understand it)

The well known gear made from soft cheese in the actuator which can be sent away for a metal one.

The dash bulb.... mine was incorrectly fitted

Fitment of the actuator, they are not always as easy just to push down and get snug as they should be. Try and pull it back up gently after fitting the spring... one reason for this is how circular the shock top is. This can be made more circular again using old fashioned methods such as a well fitting socket.

15. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Has it ever been determined what Mondi has racked up the MOST miles and is still on the road?

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is a great question...I've often wondered this as well.

I know mileage may vary depending on a whole host of factors...but what is the 'typical' mileage you can expect out of the Tipo 119 before you have to rebuild the engine?

100K? 150K? 200K?

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My '86 now has 53,000 miles and runs better and better. Perhaps it is rebuilding itself? At 44,000 miles ran OK. Now it runs like an new car.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah, I know what you mean David - I know it's cliche' but it's true - these cars are not meant to idle in some garage...the more I drive the car...the better it seems to run!!

19. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have been using my Mondi as my only car and put on about 400 miles per month. But I add oil because there is a leak in the oil cooler. My mechanic is busy buildy my fast GT Mark VII and does not want to mess with the Mondi till he is done. Its not as if I never had other used cars that needed oil.

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This is the best running car I have ever owned. How a car with 7,000 rpm cam can happily lug up my little mountain at 1,200 rpm in third is beyond my comprehension.

21. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Well, I waffle over whether to use the car as a Sunday Driver, or as my favorite daily car. [I have three others.] In the next six months my Fast GT Lincoln will be finished and I will see if I am satisfied. Seven point five psi on top of a Ford 5L and all the suspension and cryo-dipped brake stuff can also be seductive.

One of the great pleasure of this car is how much pleasure it gives to other people who see it. For instance, I was wheeling a grocery cart from the local Ingles, and an elderly lady came up. She was waiting for me because so many people had been wondering about it, taking pictures, and speculating.
    ]
    She just wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Then I noticed I had left the keys in the ignition. I cupped my hands as they walked away and shouted and said I had left my keys in it and it could have been GONE! The two elder companions about doubled over in laughter.

I like that sort of stuff.