Barrett-Jackson Auction | FerrariChat

Barrett-Jackson Auction

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porchnut, Jan 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Did anyone else see Barrett-Jackkson last night where a 348 sold for $40,000.00?

2. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Is that good or bad?

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    #3 123howie, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    No I did not, do you think that is high or low? And this is under a Mondial thread?

4. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    I'm in no way a expert on Ferrari's, but considering this one has all the service done, books, letters to and from factory when ordered, it seemed like a good deal to me, since I just got my 3.2 and when I get my service done next week, I will be into it for about $35,000.00.

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    For a fully sorted 348, I believe it was a good deal, especially at an auction where people tend to go crazy.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I watched a couple of nights this week was hoping to see some F cars but didn't. Pretty surprised at some of the prices. I follow the 348 market a bit I think 40k is right in line If it a no stories all there car they seem to go in the mid 30's to mid to upper 40's.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I was watching last night they had the F40 from "fastnLoud" which I guess Reggie Jackson ended up with and he was quoted as saying "I'm selling it because it is too fast for me then they had a red F-40 which didn't meet reserve at a bit under a million and a 87 or 88 TR which pulled in 250k due to very low mileage. Haven't seen any Mondials go through the block.

9. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Barrett Jackson has gotten to be a zoo. I used to go every year but skip it now. If you want to see F cars, the place to be is RM and Gooding... I saw the most original 250 GT California go for $7M. Pretty entertaining.

Porchnut - also remember buyer has to pay 10% premium on top, so price was actually $44K...

10. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    A lot of people forget the 10% buyer premium on these auctions, I used to go every year, but haven't been the last 5 years due to bad back and knees. The last time I went it took six hours at a steady pace to walk everything.

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    The LWB Cal Spider was actually an open headlight car, NOT a closed one as shown, it actually undersold likely for this reason, so, sadly it was not very original.

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Ferrari has been in the Jewelry business for at least two decades. OK. I fully admit I would not mind 300 hp on top of my 86 Mondial instead of whatever it is. But whatever it is it is more then enough just to drive around the mountains and have cops on alert.

I would respect Ferrari more if it made reasonable road cars again. For instance, I noticed a nifty Mazda Miata the other day. It is true I could out run that car anyplace anytime. But it is a reasonable road car.

The local Ferrari salesman told me Ferrari's are race cars with turn signals. If that is so with the new ones I do not want one of the new ones. My old 1986 3.2 drives perfect at every rpm, yet peaks at 7,000 rpm. That should be impossible prior to vvt. And CLEARLY is not a race car with turn signals.

I suppose Ferrari can make enough money selling $1,250,000 dollar limited editions. Motor Week tested one and it bounced its front 2.5 inches clearance over the road like a solid suspension Falcon. Perhaps it IS a race car with turn signals.

My little 3.2 is a ballance road car. How could ANY car with 500 hp be a ballanced road car. My God. The only thing between you and the last judgement is how much you have practiced your braking.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very good point, David. I can enjoy my Mondial with no concerns, I can enjoy the car in a relaxed and safe way. I can adopt a good highway rhythm without wanting more or sweating.

The first time I drove my 355 F1 GTS in a spirited and sporty way (380hp - redline @8500rpm), I thought I'd meet my maker soon.

Kind regards,

Nuno

14. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Try the new Z06/07. :) Up to 1.5g, 60-0 in about 102 feet, 0-60 2.9-3.3 (depending on driver and transmission). Goes, stops and corners.

Is it as much fun as the Mondial? In many ways, no. It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.*

Regards,
    Jerry

*"fast" and "slow" being relative terms here........

15. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    #15 TampaTMM, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe I saw this car while i was at the auction. Haggerty has this car at 34k and from what I have seen, they are generally spot on for auction prices. If it is the same car, it was in average to good condition, so $40K is a high price at auction. Especially when you tack on the 10% buyers premium, making in now $44k. Retail prices right now are anywhere from $32K to $70k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Still can't believe how cheap Ferraris are there in the US.

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    WAY agreed. I drive my 1965 Corvair Convertible in two ways. Steady throttle. Or full throttle. Not that anyone else would notice. My Mondi was a bit on the slower side when I bought it, but cleared out the carbon nicely. Runs perfect. Can pull full throttle from 1,000 rpm in third.

For where I live the power is just about right. I like maximum Gs. One point five Gs acceleration? That is not driving. Thats space travel.