done it at last | FerrariChat

done it at last

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by aussiemondial, Jan 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aussiemondial

aussiemondial Karting

Jan 19, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Just mike
    Hi,
    well after months and months of reading this forum, checking the internet for mondials, having second thoughts and looking at 308's then back to mondials.
    Followed by contacting every mondial advert only to find that what the seller classes as good condition and what my definition is are two different things. Also finding out that not all sellers are ummm.... accurate, I have finally put a deposit on my first mondial QV.
    Its not perfect, nor did I want a perfect one as I want to get my hands dirty and spend countless hours on Utube lol.
    So what have I got? - 1985 QV convertible. 120km on the clock and not been driven more than 1000km in the past two years, so some work to be done.
    I also had some good advice from Ital Service in Adelaide (who is now in the process of moving locations so pm me if you want his contact details)
    There, done, cant wait to get behind the wheel of my own mondial.

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #2 Rapalyea, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Congratulations! If it starts, drives around the parking lot without spewing fluids and parts you are good to go! Here are problems I found 9,000 miles ago.

1) Clutch hydraulic system deteriorated. If THAT happens do not use Alpha parts. The front master is a ***** to replace. If need to do it, remove the front seat, buy a pair of 12 inch 90 degree needle nose plyiers and just horse the cotter key out of the top turnbuckle pin. Then horse the pin out the top. Put it back in upside down and poke a cotter pin by chance on top.

You will need chiropractic insurance. And at least three dozen people to help you bleed the line ;).

2) If you have a lean surge at light throttle drip a few drops of power steering stop leak on the injectors to soften them up so they do not suck air.

3) If the engine does not run perfect add 'Catalytic Converter' cleaner. Perhaps lots of techron. Do not warm engine up at idle and be sure to shift above 3,000 rpms. (Carbon on valves from constant flow fuel injections system is ledgendary on BMWs of the era).

4) I always add 6oz two cycle oil to each tank of gas. I have a superstition it coats against alcohol, lubes whatever might need lubing in the mechanical fuel system, especially the injectors, and does a traditional top lube.

5) Windshield wipers probably need exercise. Set up a sprinkler system, set them on intermitent and let them run. Mine always worked more or less when the windshield was wet.

6) Starters often 'click' when hot. If this is a serious problem have an intermitend solinoid installed to activate the main solenoid. The wires from the front of the car are inadequate, but they will activate an intermediate solinoid installed right down by the starter. In my case they are so far ok.

7) If you get at the battery be sure to remove and clean the webbed ground strap.

8) I took one look at the cooling system that needs dozens of hose clamps and just said the hell with that. Used a turkey baster to remove enough coolant to and straingh glycol to get the mixture, up to 60/40 and entirely depressurized the system and added a few oz of bars leak water pump lube. You can go 70/30. My car runs cool and even at 90F and running hard never lost any coolant from overheating. Radiator fans should come on at 130F

These are ALL home remedies. But will provid a place of departure to do things right!

3. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Congrats! Can't wait to see photos!!

Bill P.

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Let the Fun begin!!

5. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Congratulations! These cars are a pleasure to own, and they're true "driver's cars". Dead simple to work on for the most part. I think you'll find it very rewarding.

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Congratulations, let's see some pics.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The mondal 3.0 and 3.2 do not have power steering. I believe the 3.4 had delete option. While I often wonder if a 50% boost might be an improvement, the manual has such high self centering it is almost impossible to get seriously out of shape in a hard corner. Just let go of the steering wheel and you recover.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Bloody Posh!!

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Is that a new Ben and Jerry's ice cream ;)

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Welcome, aussiemondial! Congratulations, enjoy in good health.

Oh... and pics please! :)

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You sure about the 130F? The fans on my 89 t come on around 190-195F, which makes sense as the boiling point (without pressurization) is 212.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Congrats on the Mondi

Welcome to the family!

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes indeed, a chiropractic after you went down there....and dont push the pedal all down for bleeding...let there be some space between pedal and floor. Otherwise the master piston can block inside.
    By the way, I have seals for master and slave clutch for those who are intrested !

Guido

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    congrats!!! Welcome to the club!

cheers

15. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Congatulations !
    You just became an owner of the rarest Mondials ever made.
    There were only about 24 RHD 3.0L cabs made.
    Enjoy the drive !

Mark

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My temp guage shows 230F when the fans come on. And that only happens at idle. Sixty/forty glycol boils at 235F without pressure. Seventy/thirty is even higher, but I forget what. Anyway, my old Z-28 fan came on 260F. I need to check the coolant level since I have not done so for quite awhile. But two years and 10,000 miles not added one ounce....

I believe our engines have all those cross-coolant pipes etc for evened heat distribution. Even running hard at 90F ambient with oil at 230F I have never had coolant overflow or gurgling sounds. So I have declined to subject my coolant system to multiple 1 bar pressure cycles.

The coolant system on our cars reminds me of the coolant system at the Savanah River K reactor.