I Paid The Ticket | FerrariChat

I Paid The Ticket

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jan 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I live in Georgia and we have a graduated points system. You lose your license accumulating 15 points in any two year period. My ticket was for 71mph in a 55mph zone gaining me two points. I paid over the phone with a credit card $130 total. Here is a list....

I am one very relieved fellow. In my entire life I do not believe I have a total of seven speeding tickets of any kind. But I have learned a lesson on this. No more then ten over - EVER.

"Home Georgia Tickets & Violations DMV Point System
    DMV Point System in Georgia"

How it Works
    Georgia tracks incompetent drivers―or those with bad habits― through the use of a point system, as do many other states. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and if you prove to be a bad, dangerous, or reckless driver, your license can be suspended, canceled, or revoked.

Your license will be suspended if you have a point accumulation of 15 points within a period of 24 months, or if you commit one or more of several different serious violations.

Suspension, cancellation, or revocation of your license will cause your automobile insurance rates to rise, or possibly even cause your insurance company to cancel your policy.

Points per Violation
    Points are issued and accumulated in a variety of ways. Below is a sampling of common offenses and their point assignments:

Reckless driving: 4 points
    Unlawfully passing a school bus: 6 points
    Improper passing on a hill or curve: 4 points
    Speeding (miles per hour over the speed limit):
    15 -18 MPH: 2 points
    19 - 23 MPH: 3 points
    24 to 33 MPH: 4 points
    34 MPH or more: 6 points
    Use of wireless telecommunication device violation: 1 point
    Text messaging while operating a vehicle: 1 point
    Disobedience of any traffic-control device: 3 points
    Disobedience of any traffic officer: 3 points
    Possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage while driving: 2 points
    Failure to secure a load resulting in an accident: 2 points
    All other moving violations: 3 points
    Child restraint (1st offense): 1 point
    Child restraint (2nd and subsequent offense): 2 points
    Aggressive driving: 6 points
    HOV lane violation (4th and subsequent offense): 1 point

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Thanks for the info. I will cross Georgia off my list.

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I am curious about California. I have lived in many states and it was always my fear that fifteen over was marked by a skull and crossbones. Three or four points minimum on a 12 point max.

Got caught 65 in 55 downtown Indianapolis Sunday morning just two cars on six lane Interstated. My Z-28 and the cops Z-28. He flat out told me if he had waited till the speed dropped to 50 mph [as it did a mile up] I would be sucking hind tit.

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #4 Rapalyea, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    "Suspended California Driver's License
    As you acquire points, you place yourself in danger of losing your driver's license. The DMV has the right to suspend or revoke your driving privileges if you accumulate a certain number of points over a set period of time.

4 points in a period of 12 months.
    6 points in a period of 24 months.
    8 points in a period of 36 months."

However, I could not make heads nor tails out of speeding points. Most seem to be one point. For example, '70 mph' = 1 point; '100 mph 2 points.' Niether reference the speed limit. Just YOUR speed.
    However, I just do no believe driving 100 mph in a 35 mph school zone would give me two points. I could be mistaken.

A few years I visited my sister in San Diego going North to San Clemente. I do not believe one single car was traveling less then 70mph.

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #5 Rapalyea, Jan 21, 2015
    Returning from San Diego on I-10 towards Dallas TX we ran at least 90 mph hour after hour mostly with pickup trucks. In some of the Western states the daytime limit was 80 mph, but everyone cruised at 85.

Arizona was spooky because it all looked like a Road Runner Cartoon. Nothing but Sujaro cactus desert on either side. Time just became unhinged. Had I been driving for five minutes or fifteen minutes or even fifty minutes!

Every driver on the planet should take the drive from Dallas/ Ft Worth to San Diego. Beam me up scotty. In West Texas there were so many wind mills it made my head spin. I swear. THOUSANDS. And no other man made structures in sight. And unlike the stupid fields in California from Sacramento to San Francisco they were almost all WORKING. The California mills were Potempkin village screen sets just sitting there stopped.

I found my way to the base of one of the Texas mills - that took some back road doing into a cotton field. They hardly take up much space. They were huge, and the wind going by them and the noise was WAY more then any squall I experience sailing the Chesapeake Bay. But I digress.....

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #6 MvT, Jan 21, 2015
    What about foreigners passing through at high speed? :)

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Post bail and get out of town. Alternatively you could plead the metric system. 120 mph. You thought it was 120 kph. Might be worth a try.

8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You may want to check with your insurance agent to see how getting points for speeding affects your insurance.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Yeah, thats a good question. WAY back when I bought the Z-28 they told me they would not insure it. I ignored the notice and have continued coverage for another 30 years. In Georgia I can take a 'defensive driving' class to remove points. If my insurance rates go up enough might just take the instruction.

However, having mistakenly believed 'fifteen over the speed limit' was equivalent to a skull and cross bones and having instead seen I would need six of the same tickets in the next 24 months to endanger my license I have decided to pay the ticket and keep my mouth shut.

Incidentally. Putting the Ferrari on my insurance list along with the several other cars I own I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive it is. Apparently the insurance company does not have many claims against Ferraris.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    lol, in NL there is only one insurrance company who wants you and it is called Terminus. You have no other choice then to insure your ride against a fee that is quite expensive.

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I looked up my insurance and both the 86 mondial and 07 Malibu MAXX cost about the same. Both include liability (claims against me) and comprehensive (payments to me do to vandalism, theft, or my own crash.) Each car costs about $460 per year. I have two lesser cars neither has insurance against their theft or damage by me. They just are not worthvery much such as 1965 Corvair.

12. B11ocx

B11ocx Karting

Jan 30, 2014
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You guys should be happy not to live in the UK.

3-6 Points for speeding and they last for 3 Years. Maximum of 12 Points before an automatic ban.

Ban for over 100mph

No need to be caught by police, a camera is enough, some of which are mobile.

Every speeding ticket adds to insurance cost on all cars you are insured on (so wife & kids get penalised effectively)

The only upside is that a first offence of less than 10% will net you an 'opportunity' to do a speed awareness course which costs about $130 and 4 hours. If you take this then you will not get points, but will not be offered again for a minimum of 3 years.

13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You won't know until your insurance rolls over to a new insurance year. With a good driving record and a sole ticket, it may be inconsequential.

In Florida, you can "elect" driving school up to 5 times! If you do, you get an 18% break on the standard fine (presumably to help pay for the school) and a guarantee of NO POINTS. Try to save those for the high speed tickets... :)

Regards,
    Jerry

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    YIKES!

Its a good thing we do not use 'the percentage' method in calculating the infraction. The only people here who can do such complicated mathematics attend MIT. Let me try. I exceed the 35 mph speed limit by 10 percent. I THINK that means I was going 38.5 mph when caught.

Is the next step 15%? Of course our Ferrari speedometers were designed by the company Fredrico Fellini and Sons.

15. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    In TX the rule is Bride manages point/ins concerns and completes mind-numbing online Driving School - my only action item is to time my request for service very carefully & respectfully. (Again, IMO municipal revenue planning for "x" $ from traffic violations is unconscionable)

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Faber,

Oddly, where I live there does not seem to be much traffic tax farming for local finance. I have some speculation as to why. First, although this is the poorest county in all Georgia it is also very much a Summer destination for Florida retirees to get out of Florida in Summer. They are a HUGE part of the construction market.

We are also a resort destination. Lake Chatuge has 175 miles of spectacular shoreline and all the protected forests in the mountains are a draw from Atlanta which is only two hours away. The last thing you want to do is irritate such financial fish.

Over the last decade I have been stopped several times for speeding and was never issued a violation. And of course this ticket was obtained fair and square.

17. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi - I'm originally from GA - I know your area and I remarked to my wife how nice it must be to take an Fcar on those roads you mention - Lots of water sports in my current neck of the woods and can get busy in summers but that doesn't stop the tickets. It may be that only the hoi-polloi get stiffed...(-*

18. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    In California, if you are clocked in excess of 100MPH, the arresting officer can impound your vehicle immediately. If you are traveling alone at twice the speed limit, the arresting officer can charge you with attempted suicide. Put someone in the passenger seat and it's attempted murder. That's the bad news. The good news is that most officers, if treated with respect and not lied to will give you a break.

19. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    IMHO, way to much discretion to traffic law enforcement. Attempted murder should not be traffic officer discretion. The traffic officer should report the speed and circumstances. The elected prosecutor has prosecutorial discretion

But hell. California is a one party state. If you are Meryl Streep doing 100mph through a 35 mph school zone I do not want the traffic charge based on whether you like Meryl Streeps movies or not.

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #20 Rapalyea, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    I live in Ferrari Heaven. Thats for sure. And once again, I do not know why traffic cops here abouts use such a lite hand. The rumor is the same can not be said for neighboring North Carolina. The border is just six miles away from me. But everyone is spooked by N. Carolina.

However, North Carolina now sells beer after 12 noon on Sunday. At least in Cherokee County. Not where I live in GA. I don't know about the rest of Georgia. None-the-less my local Georgia county permits the local winery to sell tastings and even bottles on Sunday. Which is a big Atlanta Tourist Day. My actual town [Young Harris] is otherwise dry. Although I believe you can bring your own bottle of wine into a restaurant.

Local authority in these matters is complex. Back up in Chicago Land every last grocery store will sell you Baccardi 151 just about any time day or night. At least thats what I recall. Small matters. You get used to them.