With All Due Respect | FerrariChat

With All Due Respect

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jan 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #1 Rapalyea, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo of a Ferrari engine compartment driven daily; Many times daily full throttle; Many times full lateral G force; Many times maximum braking force. But thats just me. And with intended humor.

But I bought the car in order to drive the hell out of it. Nine thousand miles later hell is still stubornly stuck within. But I will continue the effort.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mine has Saudi Arabian dust in it from its first few years. I gave up on trying to clean out.

Still, yours is dirtier than mine.

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Here it is: a beautiful, non garage queen, properly enjoyed engine bay. One word comes to mind when seeing David's Mondial: SPEED! It's like seeing an SUV go by full of mud: it fits and does it justice. And I'd rather have a dirty engine bay in a properly maintained car than a shiny engine bay and original plastics, timing belts, on a garage queen.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #4 Bell Bloke, Jan 22, 2015
    I drive mine very hard also, the roads where we are twist and turn, and are very slippery in the wet. The roundabouts also give an excellant opportunity to get the car into some serious sideways action and powersides. Here's my engine, it stays nice and clean now I have a full flat floopan under the engine, just like on the new cars ;-)

5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm glad I won't ever have to park next to you and open the engine cover. :)

That's beautiful!

6. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    #6 porchnut, Jan 22, 2015
    I just love this picture, I can only aspire of mine looking this good some day, I always try to keep my cars clean inside and out as most of them go to car shows.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Always nice to see the hearts of our Mondis. Touched, untouched, cleaned, not cleaned or refurbished it is all good! :)

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Bell,
    That is the nicest looking Mondi engine bay I've seen - fab!
    Even though it's not a T ;-)
    Cheers,
    Greg

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    David,
    I'd be willing to bet that if there is one "department" in your engine compartment, that is truly clean, it would be - - - in the fluids department !! Isle #8, folks. :):)

Cheers,

Hank

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    #10 srephwed, Jan 22, 2015
    wanted you guys to see what came out and what is going back in. Found a 3.2 to replace my QV. old engine was fine but obviously needed some cleaning and I figured while it was out do the swap. Would really like to see some pictures of Bell Blokes cover under the engine. seems like a really good idea

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful, I can warm up my food on the engine and eat it off your engine it's so clean...well done sir!

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

David...I don't see a dirty engine...I see a very LOVED card..

13. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    #13 TampaTMM, Jan 22, 2015
  14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Geee,

I thought I was being a bit cheeky;) Yeah, me and the Mondi have become sympatico. One advantage to driving every day is I got used to it starting every day. And come home every day and just park it. Some of the "exotica" anxiety evaporates. And of course all the controls become second nature.

Today it was chilly out 40F and blustery rain. Not show car weather. Turned the key. Drove away. Chilled my balls off toping up fuel [14 gallons 235 miles this week - and of course 8 oz 2 cycl oil]. But forgot my wallet.

So another 15 mile round trip to pay the gal. By that time I was ready for a slice of gas station pizza and several cans of Ice Beer. Using the car like this makes me feel a bit like I did back in college days with other older used cars. In 1973 a 1969 Fiat 850 Spyder was damned exotic.

By comparison the Mondi is more user friendly then my 1959 Chevy Belevedere four door six. With headlight held in place with bent coat hanger. That car had a similar solinoid 'hot start' problem. However, the solenoid was right there where you could take a screw driver to it and cross the terminals, sparks flying, and get it going.

So I got creative. Ran household wiring to the two terminals, then back under the dash with a wall switch and rubber bands. I am not making that up.

15. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    lol...as we used to say in a previous life: "If the kit's not dirty it's not being employed." Great engine pics!

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Bell and serephwed - damn

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    And this belt is going to wear out in 15,000 miles? hmmmm

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Yeah. There are certain kinds of dust that just NEVER entirely dissapear. The dust ouside Plieku was like talcum powder. Walking in it was fftt fftt fftt four inches deep from the trucks. A regular broom would just stir it up. To this day I am certain I have never gotten rid of all of it.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Love the sight of brand new genuine timing belts! In fact, I love the Mondial so much I'm undecided: if I drive it, I can't fall in love with its design. If I admire it, I can't get chills on my spine like when I drive it!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    OMG!!!!
    Incredibly beautiful.

21. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey many thanks Chaps for the kind remarks........A Bell Bloke (non patented) Ferrari Engine Tray is the only way!
    It keeps my engine spanking, and me nuts nice and clean!

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    But I have a short attention span. What I remember is brake fumes. Tire fumes. Even, [gulp] oil fumes. I also like the fact my windshield wipers are working. Never expected THAT.

23. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Bell - - baby,

The "BB Engine Tray" - - - do it!! Make it a proper, economical, commercial product for all iterations of our beloved Mondials. Yes, it's a specialized item, but then ........... it's inventor, Bell Bloke, is a special kind of bloke.

Cheers,

Hank