Anyone Ever Bump The Gated Shifter? | FerrariChat

Anyone Ever Bump The Gated Shifter?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    People ask me about the gate and I tell them it is cosmetic. The shifter is strongly sprung to center and I have never even touched the gate. However, one of the recently posted old road tests from years past one driver DID complain about it as an impediment of some sort to precise and clean shifts.

That baffles me. Anyone ever bump the gate shifting?

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I always loved the gate I too have heard people complain about it but I never had a problem with it however I did always worry something may fall down inside since there is no cover on it.

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I believe it can be removed, but have not looked closely. Of all the cars I have owned the clutch and tranny are most like my 1984 Z-28. The Mondial has bit heavier and quicker clutch. Beefier gears and WAY out front syncronizers. [I could shift the Z-28 without the clutch in many situations].

Its a manly car. People will cringe when I compare it to the Z-28. But when I turn 70 years old I am going to do some smokey burn outs just like the Z-28 would do every day all day long. I am confident, even though the engine is over the rear wheels, there will be little problem.

It will be done at the Atlanta 1/4 mile drags and so Ferrari Inc will be near by if needed. But I doubt it. The car has a heavy fly wheel. The half shafts are shared with the Testa Rossa. We will eventually find out.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Love the gate...no coplaints here...

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I think it is another one of those things people write about just to complain just like the footwell I've read that anybody with a foot over 12 inches long wont fit comfortably unless they take their shoes off I have size 13 feet and never had a problem wearing sneakers and only noticed the offset when I drove my Mondial while still wearing my workboots but still drove it with no problem.
    I believe the cover plate does come off the shifter I had posted in the detailing section when I first got my Mondial what the best way to clean the gate was and I believe the response was you can take it off. I still always think that little kids in the car would love to stuff things down in the gate!

6. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If you think it impedes your shift, there's a product you can get at Ricambi called a slick shift gate that, essentially, has part of the 'tongues' between the gears shaved a bit so going from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th is less up-over-up and a little more straight line. I bought one, and I think it helps. But I have a shift issue that won't go away and at one point, the service manager at Cauley Ferrari told me to try switching back to stock to see if it made a difference. It didn't, and out of laziness I didn't put the slick shift gate back on. I might be willing to sell it if someone really thinks it would be a huge benefit. It wasn't very expensive so I just thought I'd hang on to it. Who knows, I might put it back on some day.

Regards,
    Brian

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Brian,

What sort of problem do you encounter? One 'problem' I sort of had was the tranny 'popping' out of gear rather abruptly upon shifting. I found it to be simply a technic problem. Some of us are used to very forgiving trannys, and with this tranny I needed to be very deliberate in selecting rpms and just exactly when and how to pull a gear out into neutral. Well timed and abrupt with full clutch.

I can not say exactly how I now avoid that 'problem' but it seldom happens anymore. Plus I don't think it especially dangerous. But your problem might be something different. For instance, I do from time to time grind second gear just a bit. I like to play with trannys and experiment, with a light touch, exactly what they like and don't like.

One thing I never had problem with was full throttle, full rpm, hard clutch shift. I would never power shift this car.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    yes, out of necessity. I can tell it is a challenge to find your gears... without teeth scraping

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I scrape my teeth every time I turn the key. Mostly my dentist benefits, not my mechanic. I like my transmission. It seems to need simpathetic understanding. Prhaps my sympatico comes from driving farm tractors, and that is not a criticism. For instance, I put 120,000 miles on the 5 speed Z-28 and was absolutely hell on the drive line. But I understood it.

Then I sold the car for a pitance to my brother-in-law. Within six months the car was undriveable. There are people in this world that can be given a rubber mallet and an anvil. Pitty the poor anvil.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    +1!

That "clac-clac" when you shift is priceless!

No problems with the design whatsoever, and quickly got used to how it works. Love it! Moreover, dog leg gearboxes are pretty cool, imho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I guess I don't understand the question. My car shifts very smoothly and easily but if I'm driving hard I hit the gate on every shift. That's what makes the clack sound. But I don't hit it like bouncing off a wall and missing the shift. 3rd to 4th is particularly clackish as it's very fast to just go up and right quickly with the lever hitting and sliding up the far right edge. Guess we need some gopro vids in this thread. (Once the salt is washed away here for me). Important to have everything in the linkage adjusted well.

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Not sure, but wonder if you put a leather boot over the gate would it seem less daunting.
    Love the gate here, but when i have friends drive i tell them to pretend its not even there.

Don't overthink it i tell them....your just driving My Ferrari with me right next to you...relax!!

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    hahahaha!

Loooking at wat I wrote it looks like I drive daily without a gate, dare devil me! To comfort everyone it was a one time necessity :)

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I suspect these cars vary in trany shifter gate alignment one to the other. I believe Rob once said he had driven a number of these cars and this tranny was especially good. I don't know. Sounds like you simply learned your tranny and need not be a dare devel anylonger.

Its a heavy duty mechanical device that requires some attention, some deliberation, and some muscle. If you want the other polar extreme I can recomend the Subaru WRX with factory shift kit. Swiss Watch. The car, on the other hand, had terminal understeer I really really did not like. But it did not have the suspension kit.

I once drove a factory OutBack about 15 years ago and found it entirely tossable and competent. I recommended it over the Volvo of the same era. The gal and hubby swapped out an RX7 for the Outback. Were so impressed she then got the WRX.

15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I lived outside Chicago in Downers Grove near the concentrated dealerships. Drove everything Infinity had to offer among many many other iron. Was something of a hobby with me. So much so I was repeatedly chosen for Marketing Run-Offs at local large parking malls.

Typically there would be a Lexus SC, a two seater Jag, BMW, Volvo, Saab stuff. And usually a Detroit cheapo ringer to confuse everyone. [These were autocross courses and the staff raced each other in a front drive Chrysler 300M between scoring sesions for the rest of us.]

By that time I already had a Mark VII supercharged and prepped, and begged to let me run it, but no dice. The little BMW with four aboard was like a wallowy sea slug. The turbo Volvo had a bit more punch but just could not do anything other right. The SC was a two door saloon. I liked the jag. It was closest in quality to my Mark VII. The BMW 5 was only marginaly better then the little BMW. I think there was a Mercedes but if so it left no impression.

This only speaks to what an individual can do to a competent car. My Mark VII was really in AMG and M territory, but none of that stuff was on offer. I am now having another one built for me and it might be ready in a few months. The mechanic asked me when I wanted it and last Fall I said 'either next Summer or when YOU need to fix the Ferrari. I just chose th tires this week.

16. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My problem is a strange one. The shifts are smooth when correct, it even does second well while cold. But every once in a while, it will miss the spot. In other words, sometimes shifting from first to second, you put it in second and let the clutch out and it just revs to red line because it wasn't in gear. Similarly, sometimes the gears get a grinding because it catches the reverse when trying to put it into second. I've had it adjusted several times by several different folks, and since it won't seem to stay properly, they want to pull the sump to get a look at it. So I'm living with it because the diagnostic alone to pull the sump is more than I'm willing to pay considering we don't know what we'll find. It's as good as it's ever been right now and it doesn't bother me too much. I've learned how to work it. But at some points, people servicing it that had to drive it would contact me to tell me my car has a serious issue in that it won't drive. But the problem was they weren't finding the spots in the gears. When I told them the problem and the get-around fix, they got it to work. One place that worked on it kept swearing it was correct, and not only wanted me to pay for their time to work on the car and not fix it, but they charged me to ship the car once, they came and got it right away when I reported the problem immediately after I got it back because it wasn't right from the very first drive, and then they charged me to ship it the second time also. And it still came back not fixed.

After re-living that experience, I have to report that I got a call today that my car is done after winter work. I had belts done with all related work like pumps and tensioners, my HVAC is fixed (had no a/c and the controls siezed this past season when I was needing heat), some electrical work, and some other things. YAHOO. I can't wait to drive it. I was going to have them look at the gear issue again, but all work was done without removing the engine this time. It's so great to work with people who know what they're doing.

Regards
    Brian

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I don't have any problems but I have noticed that when other people drive my car for the first time, because the gate is visible, they tend to look down at the gate as they shift from gear to gear.
    I find changing gears to be simple and rewarding.

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Brian,

When the car is in neutral does the shifter align exactly with second gear slot? My car has a very heavy self centering spring. If not you might just try to remove the gate and shift without it. Or even try to reposition the gate by elongating the mounting screw holes.

I have not looked at my gate to see if it has observable installation screws but will do so next time I drive.

19. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, the return spot is correct. I just try to keep to the extreme right in each gear slot and I have no problems shifting up or down. The way I look at it, if a thief tries to steal the car, he probably won't be able to get it into gear. I also have a shifter lock that will allow me to put it on while the shifter is not in the correct position to be in gear (in the reverse slot without really being in gear), locked, and warming up without me being in it. The shifter lock is amazing. Probably the first aftermarket thing I ever bought after I got the car. I saw someone selling one in the Ferrari ads and bought it. It's like the Club but without the giant bar going across the car. Keeps the car safe and is hardly even noticable. Makes me very happy when ever I park the car knowing it's always going to be there when I get back. Especially living in Detroit. It just means I don't have to leave the hammer that Ted gave me in the car for protection. :)

20. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    A flatbed with a winch and your baby is gone.

21. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The e-brake is still on. Let's be honest - I wouldn't leave it started and unattended at a shopping mall. But I drive my car to work every day I can, and in Oct and Nov, I like pre-warming the car before I drive. This way, I don't have to wait for it. I should also mention that I work for a law firm that's nestled in the middle of the police station, the fire station and the court house. It's probably safer where I work than in my own garage.

Regards,
    Brian

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Where I live its not certain any given thief would know how to release the parking brake. Sometimes I forget.....