Cost, safety & reliability vs authenticity | FerrariChat

Cost, safety & reliability vs authenticity

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondi88, Jan 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There was a recent thread on replacement fuel hoses, something I'm keen on this year for reliability / safety sake (I've developed a "thing" about my kids being in the back seats, inches away from a hot engine and fuel!).

However, something nags at me that I'm removing the original authenticity. We're surrounded by subliminal messages to keep our cars factory fresh, with classic car TV shows seemingly inspecting the smallest nut and bolt to ensure factory originality.

With our Mondials now emerging as recognised classics, interested in your views on maintaining our cars as Enzo made them (within financial reason), versus making sensible upgrades to cheaper and more robust modern fitments? How far do you folks go to source original parts vs new modern equivalents?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Things like hoses are "time change" items, similar to cambelts but at a longer life/intervals. Absolute "original authenticity" is perfect for non-drivable museum pieces. :)

No judge will give out demerits for new hoses and the like unless, of course, they're not per OEM.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I completely agree, anything that is subject to regular wear/tear I argue should not be scrutinized for 'original'. Hoses, pipes, brake pads, tires, filters, seals, etc should be replaced in my opinion with the best quality part (regardless of OEM)

:)

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    But now you have me thinking...

My car was converted upon importation; do I restore it to OEM or maintain it's own heritage/provenance?

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hmm...curious - what did the conversion involve?

I'm assuming just add a cat, maybe some bumper modifications?

6. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, that makes sense. I saw some horrendous fuel hoses (bright blue) and pictured my beloved Enzo engine bay looking like a Japanese drifting car. I suppose one just needs to make sensible / sympathetic modern fitments...

Similar dilemma with the hood. Would love a new one (really, it needs it), but then I lose the all important little horse on the rear window and a judge mutters disapproving obscenities under his breath...?!

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    An O2 Sensor ECU, the frequency valve (without dampener), at least a couple of extra relays and all supportive wiring. In addition to the cat.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/475731-mondial-3-2-k-jet-o2-sensor-control-system.html

I also have a third brake light from a US Cab mounted on my engine cover. The US Coupe's have their inside the cabin (rear roof).

All DOT stuff (doors, glass, etc.) appears to be as per original.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I have bright blue center coolant hoses but they aren't visible unless you look for them underneath the car (about 3 out of 61 inches). I went with black hoses for the rest.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good stuff thanks Wade!!!

10. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Strictly from a safety standpoint, I would only use OEM parts.

I had a 12 inch oil hose ($1200 plus labor) replaced last year, and I almost fainted from sticker shock. My mechanic explained that this hose is subjected to tremendous heat and pressure. If I replaced it with a cheaper hose and it ruptured while the car was cruising at speed, the oil would spray all over the wheels and probably send the car into a violent spin.

Remember that OEM parts are engineered specifically for your car. Once you go outside of those parameters, you may be putting yourself and your passengers at risk.

Ferrari Part #140312 Flexible pipe from motor to radiator 1251.66 :( :( :(

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yet you have non oem wheels and most likely non oem tire sizes/dimensions on your car vs what was spec'd with?

Tires come with specific load ratings and often time the lower profile tires we all now use on our cars can and often do have a lower rating than what oem sizes would have been...

12. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    My current wheels are genuine Ferrari and were approved by the dealership. Diameter is identical to original. In fact, the wider wheel stance adds more stability on corners, and the rubber compound (W rated = 168 mph) exceeds OEM and is suitable for all seasons.

I drove on the originals for a while, and in terms of control and safety, my current setup is superior.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    And realize that some OEM parts don't exactly exist in the way they did originally. Sachs made the hood struts for my Mondial, bonnet, front. The ones I pulled out said FERRARI on them. The replacement ones do not even though they are the same part number. There will always be some of those issues.

I wonder if the factory convertible tops are NOS, if they are they may be a bit harder to work with as opposed to something made recently.

It's to each of us. I make all my choices on a case by case. If I get a part from a chevy dealer instead of the Ferrari dealer and they look the same, I don't care. (air injection valves for US cars).